A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with finishing/seaming!!!  (Read 1118 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeljohns

cornflake girl

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2007 07:26:28 AM »

I knit this baby hat as a gift. Everything was going fine and I'm pretty happy with the hat, except then I had to seam it.

As you can see in the pictures the seaming is terrible and crooked (the ribbing doesn't match up).  I really have no idea how to seam. I have watched videos online and looked at all the pictures in my books and I still don't get it. In its current state I don't feel like I can give this hat as a gift anymore.  Can I rip out the seam and try again?  Can anyone PLEASE give me some pointers and suggestions for finishing?  The hat was knit flat, the live stitches were thread with a needle and pulled tight to make the top of the hat. What I need to seam together is the right and left sides of the rectangle.

Update: I ripped out the bad seam in an attempt to start over, but I just am not getting it!

Here is a picture of the left side of the hat. The ribbing ends with purl stitches and it kind of curls over. The second picture is what it looks like when I flatten it. Do I seam the curled part or flatten it out?

This is so frustrating I'm on the brink of tears. It shouldn't be this hard, right?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007 10:34:35 AM by jeljohns » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007 07:58:44 AM »

Well, there are ways about going about seaming.

Here's what I normally do.

You'll need: a tapestry needle and some oddments of yarn. About six one-inch strips. A tape measure might help too.

Steps.
  • Fold the edges of the cap over until they meet. You need to line up your ribbing and make sure those edges meet evenly, top and bottom
    When done, take your tapestry needle and an oddment of yarn (running through the tapestry needle), thread through the loose edges and loosely tie both edges together.
  • Eyeball your edges, and using the tape measure, measure two or three inches in length (along the edges) and thread through the loose edges and loosely tie edges together.
Make sure the edges meet, and that they line up evenly.

Try and sew from the bottom ribbing to the top of the hat. Try and keep the stitches even and not puckered (unlike your first efforts) and TAKE YOUR TIME.

Mattress stitch http://www.domiknitrix.com/howtos/mattress_stitch.cfm is lovely, it brings edges together, makes the knitting lay flat and is as easy as pie. For the first couple of times, you have to take your time with mattress stitch to make sure that it's even, but it's lovely. 
[/list]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007 08:00:19 AM by cranberry » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeljohns

cornflake girl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007 10:14:01 AM »

All the videos and books I've found show mattress stitch for stockinette. How do I stitch garter stitch? Also ribbing?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007 11:04:54 AM »

The concept of mattress or slip stitching (if you sew) is the same and will result in an invisible seam regardless of the type of stitch you use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007 11:29:34 AM »

All the videos and books I've found show mattress stitch for stockinette. How do I stitch garter stitch? Also ribbing?

Yeah, it's the same principle for garter stitch and ribbing. Just take a deep breath, and frequent breaks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeljohns

cornflake girl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007 12:50:15 PM »

But I don't understand WHERE to stitch. In stockinette there are the Vs and the ladder to guide you. I'm totally lost on this purl edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007 02:04:27 PM »

But I don't understand WHERE to stitch. In stockinette there are the Vs and the ladder to guide you. I'm totally lost on this purl edge.

Garter stitch is just knit stitch ad nauseum, and knit stitches tend to have the little 'v's. Try and work within those 'v's which is one stitch in behind the bar or the edging, ala reverse stocking stitch, and it should help.

ETA- this video explains it better than I do. There is also a purl edge which is similar to what you are doing. HTH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k460JhPD4M
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007 02:32:08 PM by cranberry » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007 02:30:34 PM »

Yes, if you look at the diagrams of garter and stockinette on this page http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-knit7.htm you can see that they're basically the same every other row. You would take your needles into the Us to seam up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
jeljohns

cornflake girl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007 04:12:20 PM »

I must be really dumb because I'm STILL not getting it. The video is shot too far away for me to see what she is doing. Does anyone know of a video of someone seaming purl stitches close up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007 04:16:06 PM »

This isn't a video, but it's a diagram that I found to be really helpful: http://pinebaskets.tripod.com/knitting/garterseaming.html  Good luck with your seaming -- sorry that it's been so frustrating for you.

Also, if you've got a local yarn store or know of a SnB group, you might want to drop by and see if someone can show you seaming in person.  (And just set it down and walk away from it for a little while tonight...)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007 04:23:20 PM by spaghetti » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cuts of Beef from the Sirloin and Tenderloin
Cuts of Meat from the Short Loin
Cuts of Beef from the Rib
Cuts of Beef from the Short Plate
Grades of Beef
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...