A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Puppy dog treats!  (Read 5066 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_gifts_for_pets  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaissa
« on: December 08, 2007 10:06:01 PM »

I couldn't decide if I should put these under pets or cooking. Since I'm including the recipe, I guess cooking is the right place!

Dog treats

1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
3 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 c flour (you can use all white or a combo of wheat and white)
1/4 c nonfat powdered milk
2 t salt or garlic salt
1/2 c water
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350. Mix cheeses with oil. Add flour, powdered milk and salt and stir until well blended. Add water and mix until you get a stiff, but pliable dough. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with whatever cookie cutter you desire. Place on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with cooking spray. You can kind of crowd them because they don't rise at all - just make sure they aren't touching each other. Bake until golden brown, turning once. The cooking time will vary greatly depending on the size cookie cutter you use. My small 1 inch circles took about 7 minutes on each side. Just keep an eye on them. They brown on the bottom first. Cool on wire racks and then feed to happy doggies! Smiley

and, I have to add - they are safe for human consumption, though they may not taste very good heehee! I had taken them out of the oven to cool and my husband, assuming they were cookies, popped one into his mouth. I hear him from the kitchen, with his mouth full "what ARE these things? something is WRONG with them". I couldn't even answer I was laughing so hard.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007 10:25:03 PM »

i got a good  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy out of husband tasting the doggy treats*  what kind of dog do u have?  do u think my Yorkie would like them*  i want to make her something special for Christmas*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
Hearts Need A Beat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007 10:29:35 PM »

Cheesy That made me smile. Awesome recipe, I'm gonna try it soon. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention college kids, stay at home moms, and anyone else who could stand to make a little easy extra money:
PM me about ChaCha. I swear, it's not an ad. I just saved myself on bills with this, and thought I'd try & help =]

Obama/Biden 2008!
Kaissa
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007 10:35:19 PM »

i got a good  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy out of husband tasting the doggy treats*  what kind of dog do u have?  do u think my Yorkie would like them*  i want to make her something special for Christmas*

I have two dogs, a mutt and a lab and they both love these cookies. They know when I am making them and they hover around the kitchen waiting for them to come out of the oven. Smiley Just make them really small for your Yorkie!  Grin

Cheesy That made me smile. Awesome recipe, I'm gonna try it soon. Thanks so much!

Grin thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007 03:45:54 AM »

Do they need to be refrigerated or can they sit on the shelf?  How long do they last for?  I give Buster one biscuit every day - hey, he's small ya know and don't want him chunking up since i am planning on Dorothy'ing it around the neighborhood on my nifty new bike so he can't get too fat or else he will exceed the weight on the bike basket I have yet to buy but will be soon..

oh where was I?  shelf stabilty and how long they last..

and I would have peed my pants if my husband did that!  I know he would!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Kaissa
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007 08:55:19 AM »

craftydeb - they don't have to be refrigerated and honestly, I don't know their shelf life. My dogs get too many treats, so they go quickly at our house - we never have them for more than about 2 weeks.. I assume they last for quite a while though. When they are done they are pretty hard and dog-biscuit-y. You could always freeze half for later or half the recipe.

I recently got a new bike with a basket too! Though my dogs are way too big to ride in it, I did have illusions of rising around with my bunny in my basket. I'm still afraid to try though! lol  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007 09:38:31 AM »

thanks for the info on the biscuits.  I do believe I will be making up a batch.  I like the idea of freezing half of them.... I am sure that I will start to cave and give them to Buster faaaaaar too often!

I think a bunny in a basket would be adorable... I am planning on getting a harness to put Buster in so that he doesn't jump out when we first start going riding...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
instantk4rma

Junior mycologists have questionable morels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007 09:07:43 AM »

My in-laws have six Golden Retrievers. I'm makin' these for christmas for my puppies ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LOaccidentallyVE
I'm the lost one.

I HATE Valentine's Day!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007 07:21:00 PM »

This is awesome! Smiley I think I'm going to use this the next time I go to the local no-kill animal shelter. Wink The dogs would love me. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Stormy*~*

I'm just a girl.

My name is Crash. Don't make me prove it! Wink

I'm a Craftster Goddess!! Cheesy
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007 12:10:19 AM »

Cheesy

My dog would love me for these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean Old Paintings Without Damaging Them
How to Blend Colors Together Using Oil Paints
How to Paint a Portrait with Oils Using a Photo
How to Prepare a Canvas for Oil Painting
How to Mix Oil Paint Colors
Latest Blog Articles
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...