A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bookshelf ideas plus other decorating ideas.  (Read 828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xCurseofCurvesz
« on: December 08, 2007 07:39:31 AM »

I am absolutely ADDICTED to books... I own HUNDREDS of them, seriously. A good 300 are in storage at the moment (they're the Baby-Sitter's Club series that I read when I was younger - it's my dream to collect them all even though I outgrew them a few years ago) and I have about 150 on a bookshelf.

I have two main problems with the bookshelf:
1. It does not fit my style whatsoever.
   My bookshelf is simple, dark wood. It's too, I don't know, old fashioned, I guess? I just hate the wood. I like more modern, eclectic styles (don't mind my spelling!) and this just doesn't fit.
2. It does not hold all my books.
    The most practical thing to do would be to get rid of some books... but I love them all too much! So I kind of want something with more space.

If I have to, I'll just paint/stain the shelves white, but I REALLY want something more modern looking. Does anyone know where I could find a cheap bookshelf (other than Ikea because I don't know if my parents will let me order one online.) I want something that isn't tall, but rather long and wide because of the space I have.

Oh, and ONCE AGAIN, I am redecorating my bedroom, and also my closet. my closet is about 2x3 feet and I need storage in there... right now I have a wood shelf, a rod for hanging clothes, plastic drawers for shelves, and a shoe hanger thing. Any other ideas?

My room is going to be green, black, white, and pink, with a modern theme. Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spunkygal526
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007 02:18:00 AM »

I have to ideas for ya:

1) You can make a bookcase out of cinder blocks and wood.  You can paint it any color you want, it can be any height you want, and it's super cheap.

2) I used to have a hanging shoe thing in my closet, but they take up room.... See if you can find or make a shoe hanging thing that'll hang on your closet door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bean15

I am a mean, sarcastic person who is just too nice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007 07:08:56 PM »

another simple and relatively cheap idea is to go have a look at wall mounted shelving at home depot, lowes, menards, etc.  there are many different styles and you could have as many as you want and do other fun things.  also see if any stores are going out of business in your area.  you can usually buy their display shelving for a pretty good price.  We got  a couple nice black plastic coated wire shelves from a out of business sale that we put in our living room to hold our dvds.  i think each shelf cost $8 or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007 07:17:30 PM »

If you have an Ikea store near you, check out their as-is section for slightly damaged/worn (and preassebled) furniture.  Their stuff is already a good value, then it's marked up to 60% off in the as-is section.  There's also thrift and junk stores... you can paint just about anything if you have the right primer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

5year

Oooooh, mysterious.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007 10:44:02 AM »

What about wire shelving-- like the kind intended for closet or garage organizing?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=49516-362-1081&lpage=none

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=/qid=/ref=br_1_br_1_10/601-9792234-1924920?ie=UTF8&node=13988041&frombrowse=1&asin=B0007MHD1K&rh=&page=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't know the suffering of people outside my front door; I join the oppressors of those whom I chose to ignore.
-Derek Webb
HorrorCraft
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007 07:56:04 PM »

Please please don't waste your time on cinder blocks and wood.  Learn from my husbands mistake. (He ended up returning the cinder blocks and using the refund to build a really nice bookshelf. I think we spent about $70.)
There is no safe way to secure the cinder block death trap to the wall to prevent them from toppling over.

What we did for our bookcase (it's 6' by 5' x 10") was picked out 2'x20's and had Lowes cut them for us to size (they'll cut them for free).  Bought (4) 2"inch wood dowels to support the shelves on each side (they'll even cut those for you too).   He assymbled them using a power drill and screwed them together and secured them to the wall. 

As for your existing bookcase, you could buy baskets and use it for storage in your closet.

Or visit Lowes, Home Depot... and buy some trim to spice up the front of the bookcase. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my spooky craft and decor blog====> http://horrorcraft.blogspot.com/
my not so spooky craft blog====> http://enduremyworld.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheryl Strayed: How to Survive Family and Loss
Marie Arana on Simon De Bolivar
Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
Heather McDonald’s My Inappropriate Life
Should Heather McDonald Be the Next Real Housewife?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...