A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Awesome candy recipe to make as a gift  (Read 2558 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , candy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 08, 2007 06:56:01 AM »

I've made this for the past couple of years and it always is well received, especially at work.  I always make about 3 batches (each recipe makes about 2-1/2 lbs of candy), and bring some to work, and add them to my gift baskets.  It is a toffee, almond, chocolate candy that tastes just like Almond Roca.

You need a large rimmed baking sheet, with 1/4 inch high rims, a candy thermometer, a heavy, medium saucepan.

1 lb butter
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp corn syrup
semi sweet chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate
1 1/2-2 cups slivered almonds

Toast about 1 1/2 - 2 cups slivered almonds.  Coarsely chop if desired.

Melt 1 lb butter over low heat on the stove.  When completely melted, add 2 cups granulated sugar, and stir to dissolve (looks gross at this point, but it will come together).  Add 1/4 cup water, and 2 tbsp corn syrup, and cook over a medium low heat setting.  Cook and stir gently until candy thermometer temp reads 290F - make sure that it does not darken too much - you may need to adjust the heat to make sure it is not cooking too long and burning.  Don't cook to a temp below the 290 - it will be too soft, and you want a crisp candy.

When it reaches the right temp, take off the heat, and stir in about a 1 1/3 cups of the almonds and quickly pour onto the pan and spread out evenly.  You do not need to prepare the pan or line it.  Cool slightly, but make sure it is still warm, spread chocolate evenly over surface (I did not give an amount, it depends on how much chocolate you like - but a thin layer is all that is needed).  Let melt until spreadable and spread chocolate with spatula evenly over candy.  Sprinkle with remaining almonds and gently press in.  Let cool.  Turn candy out onto a second baking sheet, or clean counter, or clean towel.  Coarsely break up into pieces and package.  Or eat. 

This is my dumbed down version - the original has you doing two thin layers of chocolate and almonds, but I like the one thick layer of chocolate and one layer of almonds.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007 03:05:02 PM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
eschewed xx
Barbara-Anna

my hands open my eyes open, and I just keep hoping

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007 09:52:20 AM »

can you tell me about this whole candy thermometer thing? Is it like a meat thermometer? Can I get it at the grocery store?

I've been looking for something foody to make everyone and I think this could work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007 12:26:43 PM »

can you tell me about this whole candy thermometer thing? Is it like a meat thermometer? Can I get it at the grocery store?

I've been looking for something foody to make everyone and I think this could work.

Not the same as a meat thermometer.  I don't know about the grocery store, but most kitchenware sections should carry it, in hardware stores, or places like Walmart.  It will probably be listed as a candy or deep fry thermometer because it can be used to measure the temp of oil for frying too.  It should have a clamp on the side for attaching to the side of the pot, so the tip doesn't touch the bottom. 

There is an easier version of this recipe bouncing around, that calls for using crackers or graham crackers to give substance to the candy.  I made that one a couple of times before finding this one.  I prefer this one because of the more authentic to Almond Roca taste - but I will see if I can still find the other one because it was an easier recipe.

Here it is - if you are leery about using a candy thermpmeter, or don't want to nurse a batch of boiling toffee along, try this one:

INGREDIENTS
35 soda crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup blanched slivered almonds

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Cover a sided cookie sheet with aluminum foil and line crackers on foil.
Combine butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Pour over crackers completely.
Bake for 5-6 minutes, watch carefully. Remove cookie sheet from oven, place it on oven door and sprinkle chips over baked crackers. When chocolate gets soft, spread over crackers with back of a spoon. Sprinkle slivered almonds on melted chocolate. Place in refrigerator for at least 8 hours. Break into cookie-size pieces. This recipe freezes well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007 03:02:59 PM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
csphd
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007 10:09:16 AM »

I just made this and it does taste awesome!  Between Almond Roca & Skor.  Yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarySweet
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007 08:17:31 PM »

That looks so perfect for those PMS days.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Panorama Stitch Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Night Portrait Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Night Landscape Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Museum Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Macro or Close-Up Pictures
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...