A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,808
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hoodies! **edited to add picture**  (Read 1795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 08, 2007 06:16:04 AM »

I live in a tiny village and since nothing ever happens here I have all the time I want for sewing when not working Grin
I made two hoodies for my sisters.
It may not show in the pictures but I was inspired by what Joodito has made here on craftster http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=104918;sa=showTopics

The first thing I did to try if it was at all possible to make a wearable hoodie on my new sewing machine was to make one out of a fleece blanket. It's very yellow!
 I love the hood, it's like a high collar when I wear it down. I don't like the colour that much, maybe I'll try black and grey instead. One thing that I really hate about it is all the electricity it generates when i pull it over my head. maybe with a lining it would be better.

This is the first one except for the fleece blanket experiment

close up of the hood

The grey parts are a very soft and stretchy knit fabric. the pink fabric stretches much less. The skull fabric I lined the hood with is somewhere in between when it comes to stretch. I made the pattern by drawing around another raglan-sleeved top and added things as I went. the side panels were added because it was a bit too small, but I like the way it turned out. I copied the hood from a store bought hoodie and decided to keep the sleeves 3/4 length. my first idea was to use the pink fabric to lengthen them but I later decided not to because there would be too much pink (that pink fabric is VERY pink)

This one is a bit more bulky and less stretchy. hood, pocket and sleeves are lined with a really soft knit fabric. worst i've ever worked with, but it turned out great once I managed to get it right. Kanga pocket is still only pinned on in the picture. I'm going to move it a few inches down to look better. The sleeves look a bit short when modeled by me but they'll fit my sister perfectly.
I have yet to decide what the %&/& to do with the bottom hem on this one. maybe I'll put piece of the lining fabric there.

I'd like to hear you opinions! Nice hoodies? Horrible? somewhere in between? Ideas for improvements? somebody knows of a good way to attach the hood? I almost always need to hand stitch some part of it to get it right.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007 12:34:52 AM by imrahil » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007 07:16:52 AM »

They look ace, really professional Smiley

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007 12:05:47 PM »

they look great. i love the skull lined hood
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007 03:40:40 PM »

I am totally in love with the skulls!

They look awesome, I also love the way you put the gray and pink together! I wish I was one of your sisters!  Wink

I am a sugar spun electro storm ♥

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007 08:08:29 PM »

Those look really great! I really like the skull lining in the first one.

Project 365 Awesome - Day 105: Stars&Dinosaurs&AsianBrides&NEW GOALS
Do I have what it takes to be a successful fashion designer? Well I'm giving myself 365 days to find out...
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007 11:40:04 PM »

Thanks to all of you! I also like the skull print fabric very much. It works great with almost any fabric and is pretty easy to work with, especially compared to that other lining I bought.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Display Performance and Appearance of Black Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Guides, Pasteboards, Spelling and Story Editor Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Units, Increments and Grids Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - General, Type and Advanced Type Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Introducing Document Preferences
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...