A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Goldern Compass  (Read 3274 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 07, 2007 11:13:24 PM »

I went to see The Golden Compass tonight.  "Lyra" wore alot of knitted goods and most of them seemed to be Lion brand.  Did anyone else notice this???  BTW, great series of books and I was impressed the movie  stuck to the book.. people who hadn't read the series were mad at the ending, I chuckled,  that just means there is more to come  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
limefreckle
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007 04:55:26 AM »

I just saw the movie yesterday too....my 6 year old has asked me no less than 50x per day, for the past 2 weeks (since he saw the trailer at "The Bee Movie") if we could go to see the Golden Compass....every day, "are we going Mom, are we going, huh?  huh?Huh  So yesterday we were there, bright and early!!!! Grin

I LOVED the knits Lyra was wearing, all the wardrobes were good (Nicole Kidman looked great).  I especially liked the sweater Lyra had on when she went to meet the Ice Bear that she hired --- is that a Lion Brand pattern that you recognize? 

Sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007 11:55:13 AM »

I thought it was and I also thought it was all Lion Brand Yarn  and patterns she was wearing through out the whole movie..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KaeMarie
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007 07:39:49 PM »

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44266000/jpg/_44266743_lyra3.jpg

HOMESPUN anyone?!?

By the way, though, I completly want to make the jacket.  It's so kooky and awesome.

Off note:  Was I the only one who loved that Gandalf and Saruman were in this??
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007 04:43:08 AM by jMi - Reason: Please do not hotlink images you do not own » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, we'd have peace. -John Lennon

A dream alone is just a dream, a dream together is a reality. -Yoko Ono
bookgrrl42

cutest little quilt dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007 07:43:45 PM »

It was awesome.  I'm a big fan of the books as well and it lived up to and exceeded my expectation.  I want to go back and see it again.  I want her hat. Not the one below, but the one she wears at the end of the movie.  I love her sweater too.  If you know where to get the pattern, please let me know.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't even get me started about the cheddar fabric
seamshistoric
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007 08:34:31 PM »

I went there expecting to be disappointed, actually, because Hollywood -never- sticks to the book in my experience. However, my expectations to be disappointed were disappointed! I was very happy with it. I wasn't so happy with the knits Lyra wore; -surely- they had something other than super bulky yarn, even if they were handspun by the Gyptians! Though.... I do want that hat she wore, that rolled back on itself around her face.

and here:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007 08:48:50 PM »

I'd like to say that jacket is on their website in the easy knits section and I think I found it.. Hers was just in red.  I almost made this once and I think this may be an Xmas present to myself.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-flatteringJacket.html.. what do you guys think?  I am thinking a knit a long after the holidays!   Smiley

If you can't see the pattern  let me know but the name of the jacket on their website is flattering jacket
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gestalta_Sara
Queen Two Shakes and a Shimmy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007 11:13:37 PM »

Oh thank god someone finally posted about this.  I saw it last night and I thought "Oh my god I need those hats, I need to see if anyone on Craftster has posted on it yet?"

I havnt read the books but I am certainly going to now.

The hat at the end of the movie I think is like, easy enough to make.  Basically i think you start off with a cable cast on and just knit up a square large enough to go from ear to ear in stockinette and then fold in half, sew up one side and add ties in the front, if anyone at all understands that.  I makes sense in my head  Tongue

I am wondering though, about the one she has when she is with Nicole Kidman in the fancy house, the red one with the disk on top.  Anyone have any ideas on that one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cazness
To design is to become.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007 03:59:54 AM »

i thougth the costumes were pretty decent. i more rolled my eyes at the ending! are u kidding me?!?!??! it didnt end like the book did. pissed me off to no end! yes no end! becuase it didnt really "end!!!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffysam
i love whales.

sewing, sewing, sewing some more

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007 06:55:02 AM »

The whole time I was watching, I was looking at all of Lyra's knitted clothes and it made me really excited. In my head I literally said, "there will be plenty of posts on craftster about these!" so thanks for making me right! Wink

I've never read the books.. but I didn't like the movie either.. it was not an end yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Sam

Fluffyland - A shop filled with handmade cuteness! Whales, Narwhals, Wrist Wallets, and more!
http://www.fluffyland.com

Fluffyland Craft & Sewing Blog
Photos & Tutorials & Haiku!
http://www.fluffyland.com/blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pop-Up Peter Pan Book Trailer
Will Bunch Talks About Tear Down This Myth
Melissa Anelli Talks About Harry, A History
Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton Talk About So Stressed
Illustrator Marla Frazee Shows You All the World
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...