A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Goldern Compass  (Read 3301 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 07, 2007 11:13:24 PM »

I went to see The Golden Compass tonight.  "Lyra" wore alot of knitted goods and most of them seemed to be Lion brand.  Did anyone else notice this???  BTW, great series of books and I was impressed the movie  stuck to the book.. people who hadn't read the series were mad at the ending, I chuckled,  that just means there is more to come  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
limefreckle
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007 04:55:26 AM »

I just saw the movie yesterday too....my 6 year old has asked me no less than 50x per day, for the past 2 weeks (since he saw the trailer at "The Bee Movie") if we could go to see the Golden Compass....every day, "are we going Mom, are we going, huh?  huh?Huh  So yesterday we were there, bright and early!!!! Grin

I LOVED the knits Lyra was wearing, all the wardrobes were good (Nicole Kidman looked great).  I especially liked the sweater Lyra had on when she went to meet the Ice Bear that she hired --- is that a Lion Brand pattern that you recognize? 

Sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007 11:55:13 AM »

I thought it was and I also thought it was all Lion Brand Yarn  and patterns she was wearing through out the whole movie..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KaeMarie
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007 07:39:49 PM »

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44266000/jpg/_44266743_lyra3.jpg

HOMESPUN anyone?!?

By the way, though, I completly want to make the jacket.  It's so kooky and awesome.

Off note:  Was I the only one who loved that Gandalf and Saruman were in this??
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007 04:43:08 AM by jMi - Reason: Please do not hotlink images you do not own » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, we'd have peace. -John Lennon

A dream alone is just a dream, a dream together is a reality. -Yoko Ono
bookgrrl42

cutest little quilt dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007 07:43:45 PM »

It was awesome.  I'm a big fan of the books as well and it lived up to and exceeded my expectation.  I want to go back and see it again.  I want her hat. Not the one below, but the one she wears at the end of the movie.  I love her sweater too.  If you know where to get the pattern, please let me know.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't even get me started about the cheddar fabric
seamshistoric
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007 08:34:31 PM »

I went there expecting to be disappointed, actually, because Hollywood -never- sticks to the book in my experience. However, my expectations to be disappointed were disappointed! I was very happy with it. I wasn't so happy with the knits Lyra wore; -surely- they had something other than super bulky yarn, even if they were handspun by the Gyptians! Though.... I do want that hat she wore, that rolled back on itself around her face.

and here:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007 08:48:50 PM »

I'd like to say that jacket is on their website in the easy knits section and I think I found it.. Hers was just in red.  I almost made this once and I think this may be an Xmas present to myself.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-flatteringJacket.html.. what do you guys think?  I am thinking a knit a long after the holidays!   Smiley

If you can't see the pattern  let me know but the name of the jacket on their website is flattering jacket
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gestalta_Sara
Queen Two Shakes and a Shimmy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007 11:13:37 PM »

Oh thank god someone finally posted about this.  I saw it last night and I thought "Oh my god I need those hats, I need to see if anyone on Craftster has posted on it yet?"

I havnt read the books but I am certainly going to now.

The hat at the end of the movie I think is like, easy enough to make.  Basically i think you start off with a cable cast on and just knit up a square large enough to go from ear to ear in stockinette and then fold in half, sew up one side and add ties in the front, if anyone at all understands that.  I makes sense in my head  Tongue

I am wondering though, about the one she has when she is with Nicole Kidman in the fancy house, the red one with the disk on top.  Anyone have any ideas on that one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cazness
To design is to become.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007 03:59:54 AM »

i thougth the costumes were pretty decent. i more rolled my eyes at the ending! are u kidding me?!?!??! it didnt end like the book did. pissed me off to no end! yes no end! becuase it didnt really "end!!!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffysam
i love whales.

sewing, sewing, sewing some more

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007 06:55:02 AM »

The whole time I was watching, I was looking at all of Lyra's knitted clothes and it made me really excited. In my head I literally said, "there will be plenty of posts on craftster about these!" so thanks for making me right! Wink

I've never read the books.. but I didn't like the movie either.. it was not an end yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Sam

Fluffyland - A shop filled with handmade cuteness! Whales, Narwhals, Wrist Wallets, and more!
http://www.fluffyland.com

Fluffyland Craft & Sewing Blog
Photos & Tutorials & Haiku!
http://www.fluffyland.com/blog
Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007 07:02:07 AM »

We went to see this yesterday and i was ogling the knitwear too. glad Craftster hasn't disappointed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007 11:41:55 AM »

I saw it on Friday and I love her costumes! The movie itself wasn't that good though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Iellwen
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007 08:05:12 PM »

i thougth the costumes were pretty decent. i more rolled my eyes at the ending! are u kidding me?!?!??! it didnt end like the book did. pissed me off to no end! yes no end! becuase it didnt really "end!!!"
I know!!  Once it started fading, I started shouting "They are not ending it here.  No way no--How dare they?!  He didn't die!!  he's supposed to kill him!!"  Expressing my rage as best I could without giving it away . . .  People laughed at me.

I was staring at Lyra's hood the whole time with the evil "who am I going to force that onto" look on my face.  Because I liked it, but I wouldn't wear it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Autumnleaf
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007 09:17:10 PM »

I saw the movie today, and I actually thought it was pretty good. It was annoying that they cut the ending out, but it was nice that they clearly tried to keep it true to the books. I was dissapointed with how much they downplayed the daemons etc., but other than that I liked it a lot.

I love Lyra's pink sweater...I really want to make my own one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007 06:46:34 AM »

i haven't seen the movie yet, but i remember reading the books and being bored.  i just didn't jive with the author's style of writing, i suppose.  interesting concept, though.
anyway, i LOVE the clothes that the characters wear!  costumes are pretty much the best part of any movie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
violi
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007 08:13:39 AM »

I'm a little obsessed with the bonnet-type hat with the rolled stockinette brim. It's seamed up the back so it must be knit in 1 piece, and the yarn is so thick I bet it would be FAST.

Is there a pattern for this one? I looked on lionbrand and didn't see anything like it. I'm hoping someone else might have figured it out and written one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will have Alton Brown's baby!
eatyerhartout
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007 10:48:16 AM »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have the series and they're great. I'm really interested to see how true to the book the movie is.

i haven't seen the movie yet, but i remember reading the books and being bored.  i just didn't jive with the author's style of writing, i suppose.  interesting concept, though.
anyway, i LOVE the clothes that the characters wear!  costumes are pretty much the best part of any movie.

radiationbaby--yes, the first book does take quite a while to get into. In my opinion, the storyline doesn't really pick up until the second book. lol. That's when the plot broadens and deeper concepts are at play. But the Golden Compass is a really good book. The entire trilogy, although a children's book, asks some really philosophical (particularly ethical and metaphyisical) questions. They're great reading, but certainly not enjoyed by everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
Gestalta_Sara

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007 02:18:31 PM »

I'm a little obsessed with the bonnet-type hat with the rolled stockinette brim. It's seamed up the back so it must be knit in 1 piece, and the yarn is so thick I bet it would be FAST.

Is there a pattern for this one? I looked on lionbrand and didn't see anything like it. I'm hoping someone else might have figured it out and written one.

I think its just a knit rectangle.  Looks like maybe a cable cast on, and then seamed up the back with ties in the front.  I am working on one right now and I think its gonna work out. Thick yarn and larger needles, like size 10 or 11.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007 02:32:31 PM »

sara, if you find that it works, would you mind slapping together a pattern?  i loved that hat, too, but i'm basically a useless knitter if i don't have a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Gestalta_Sara

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007 07:31:53 PM »

sara, if you find that it works, would you mind slapping together a pattern?  i loved that hat, too, but i'm basically a useless knitter if i don't have a pattern.

Sure thing, I can certainly try.  I am not much of a pattern writer though.  I'll see what I can do in the next few days and post pictures if its successful  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anasbubbalu
can we knit awhile?

KnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnitKnit...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007 08:24:46 PM »

I saw the movie Sunday and began knitting the bonnet that night...I will post pictures...but all I did was stocking knit a rectangle increasing the stitches gradually to make it a little wider on one end than the other...then I seamed it up the back and made some little ties...I wanted it to have that little point in the back, I actually used lion brand and I didn't realize till later thats what everything looked like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a substance abuse problem...I'm addicted to yarn.( I also have a knitting bloggy thaingamajig that i rarely update...)
http://sappytrees.blogspot.com/
ooohhh look-I'm a minion too! www.myspace.com/iknit
Gestalta_Sara

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007 12:58:09 PM »

I saw the movie Sunday and began knitting the bonnet that night...I will post pictures...but all I did was stocking knit a rectangle increasing the stitches gradually to make it a little wider on one end than the other...then I seamed it up the back and made some little ties...I wanted it to have that little point in the back, I actually used lion brand and I didn't realize till later thats what everything looked like.

Yay, at least now I know I am on the right track!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007 01:30:10 PM »

I just saw the movie today. And boy am I ticked off at the ending. I thought it was a good movie, not as good as it could have been, but still good. Except for the ending. It would have been so much better with the book's ending. More rounded and actually FINISHED!! But no...stupid Hollywood. Had to mess with a good thing. *sigh* That was really the only thing I didn't like about it.

Anyway, back on topic--Knitting! I really liked Lyra's pink jacket. I'd probably never wear it, but she looked so cute and cozy in it. And it's definately Lion Brand. Looking forward to seeing Gestalta_Sara and anasbubbalu's renditions of the bonnet.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007 09:16:03 AM by eatyerhartout » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
Autumnleaf
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007 09:53:08 PM »

The ending pissed me off to no end as well, but I think they wanted to leave it on a happy note in case they don't make the sequals.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be making the rest of the series... everybody in the US really hated the movie. It was, apparently, "too confusing." The reception was much better in Europe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mint
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007 04:45:44 PM »

nevermind the jacket I love that hat... oh I wish I had more pictures cus I don't think I'll get out to see the movie.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Autumnleaf
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007 08:33:44 PM »

I can't wait until the DVD comes out... I actually really enjoyed the movie, and I think it'll be nice to get a closer view of the costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007 07:25:01 PM »

I found this on ravelry. Here's a pattern for the hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Calliste
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007 12:07:01 AM »

I really love that hat! Now I need to learn how to read patterns, since the only thing I've ever knit are regular scarfs Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007 12:32:13 AM »

i added it to my queue... and casted on... but i think I need to reCO... too little stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008 05:57:34 AM »

I realize I'm bumping a three week old thread, but I sooooooooooo want to make all the knits she wore in the movie. My hubby kept having to tell me shut up cause in the middle of things I'd talk about how to make whatever awesome handknit piece she was wearing. ahahhahahaha

I need a little girl willing to wear them, though.  Angry

Maybe I can pull off knitting them in boy colors and forcing them on my toddler in hopes no one will notice how feminine they are.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nirauan
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008 10:23:12 AM »

the pattern for the hat it on lionbrands website for free, its called lyras bonnet or something of the like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violi
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008 11:03:37 AM »

the pattern for the hat it on lionbrands website for free, its called lyras bonnet or something of the like.

That bonnet is seamed on the wrong side. It should be seamed on the inside.

There's a great pattern on ravelry. Search for Golden Compass Hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atroxsilentium
Stefunny

A walk-in closet full of yarn isn't TOO much...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008 11:10:12 AM »

Sorry.. completely off topic..

Violi, is your avatar a picture of you with the guy from "good eats"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violi
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008 11:16:55 AM »

That was hands down the best day of my life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby-luv

I'm just a baby when it comes to knitting--wah

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008 04:36:34 PM »

I know some of the Europeans were speculating on the American take on the movie.  I read in some movie mag, that the ending scene was filmed but cut out because of the backlash from the church groups around the world.  The creator is hoping to add it to the begining if there is a 2nd movie made (which if the church had a problem with the first movie, i don't think the second movie will ever be made).  But i find the irony quite hilarious, since that's kinda what the book was illustrating to begin with...ah society.
But back on topic...I went to see the movie with my only other real life knitting friend, and we were both sitting there figuring out the stitches for the Lyra Bonnet...i am so glad that most knitters have the same obsessions, even when watching movies.  I assured my friend, who is a new knitter, that the pattern would be avail online...and in my first search of craftster here it is! 
Thanks fellow movie watching knitters! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2008 10:38:49 PM »

There are tons of websites saying "Don't take your kids to see The Golden Compass! It was written by an atheist to downgrade the church!" It's kind of sad, really. You'd figure they would listen to the message he was trying to get across and take it into consideration instead of doing exactly what the author was warning against.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 7 Makeup Brushes Every Woman Needs
Beauty Test Lab: Nu Face Eye Lift
How to Apply Fake Eyelashes
Does This Eyelash Curler Work For Almond-Shaped Eyes?
Beauty Test Lab: Nail Painting Will Never Be the Same
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...