A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
809 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do grams mean?  (Read 730 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zknits
« on: December 07, 2007 08:06:43 PM »

hey all!
i was looking at some stash busting yarn and found an assortment of wool yarns that the woman was selling all together for $10, which seemed like a good deal until she said that all 6 skeins were only 300 grams...i'm not positive what that means, but it doesn't sound like a lot...i was thinking of doing a fair isle vest, but i'm not sure that that will be enough...help!!
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
butterlite
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007 08:39:52 PM »

Its a measure of weight. if you want to know how many yards that is... ask her... 50 grams of fingering weight yarn is going have a higher yardage yeild than chunky.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007 08:51:55 PM »

There's about 28 gms per ounce, 50 grams is about 1.75 oz, but yardage is more important to know, as is the thickness of the yarn - laceweight, fingering, sport weight, DK, worsted weight, bulky, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
redwitch
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007 09:24:03 PM »

I met an American on a plane recently, looked at her wools, think '4 ounces' is about 85 grams? Google it or ask the seller. 300 grams is not typically enough for an adult item. Most of the wools I know that supply an average number for a medium female jumper say 12-16 balls (600-800 grams).
For a stranded sweater, buying any bunch of the right weight wool is not a good idea, you want to make sure the colours go together well, even if they are not obviously clashing and even if they are colours you like. Google for more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
zknits
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007 11:10:00 PM »

thanks all!
it sounds like it's not going to be enough to do anything on the larger size, so i'm not going to get it...
thanks again!!!
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
stripey_cat
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007 06:41:09 AM »

300g is a shade over half a pound.  Lots of laceweight, maybe a scarf-worth of super-bulky.  Remember that stranded uses a lot more wool than a single yarn per row.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007 09:01:05 AM »

It normally takes 500 grams of double weight yarn to make an adult sized jumper for an average adult. Like a European 42 or a US size 8.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007 11:33:08 AM by cranberry » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007 09:32:14 AM »

The real key here is not the weight in grams, but how many yards and what thickness there is. 300 grams of bulky is not nearly as much yarn as 300 grams of lace or even fingering weight. If it's a thinner yarn, you can make a shawl or socks from it; if it's worsted, a vest; if it's bulky proably a hat and scarf. So it really depends on the weight as in type of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
redwitch
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007 09:48:54 PM »

Yes but fibre types aside, a 50 gram ball will create about the same area of fabric regardless of yards: a thick wool, few metres so fewer stitches and rows, but each row is much bigger: or a thin wool, many stitches and rows, but each row is smaller.

What you have might be enough for a vest but I wouldn't bet on it: only if you're lucky, and you don't want to knit it unless you know you have enough right? Not to metion that you need to choose the colours in amounts and weight that you want: a complicated vest will not turn out well if you make it with whatever you happen to have that is right.

However if you have a sufficient amount of one or several colours that go together well, you could choose the other colours based on those

On the other hand if the wools are all deliberately in a matching colour scheme, definitely worth looking up some patterns for that weight and seeing how much of each colour they need (even then I imagine you might have to buy a ball or two separately). It sounds like a good buy regardless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
SB600 Optical Slave
Reflector Stands Are Cheaper Than Assistants
Using a Folding Chair as a Posing Stool
Using a Speedlight Softbox
Using a Hoodman Loupe Without A Lanyard
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...