A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 12/07/07 - Snow fun edition!  (Read 2195 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lufah
« on: December 07, 2007 07:38:30 AM »

Hey, Fiber Friday!  Woot!  I've actually been pretty productive this week for once.  I've got Adios, a fluffy wool single ply (178 yards, 4 3/8 oz):

Some yarn spun from one of Terrabellaspun's Gypsy Mania batts (haven't blocked it yet, though):

Gypsy Mania is 2 3/8 oz and 75 yards.

And Peach Fizz from roving I combed blending superwash merino, nylon blending fiber, and nylon sparkle, all hand-dyed.  269 yards, 4 1/2 ounces.

It's been perfect spinning weather here, so can't wait to see what everyone's been up to!

As a bonus, I present the Peach Fizz sparkly socks that I knit really quick because I couldn't wait to see how they looked like in sock form:

(They don't look that sparkly in that photo, but trust me, the bling is being well represented.  You can see it better in some of my other Flickr photos)

Also, I finished up the shawl I was working on from the Craftstravaganza yarn I spun from the many, many chaos batts.  I'll post a few more pictures in the weaving section, but here's one I really liked:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
Star217
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007 07:48:38 AM »

No yarn this week, I've been on a knitting for the holidays binge but I did finish the "branching out" scarf for my mom that was knit from my hand prepped hand spun yarn.
Its a cormo yarn and its dreamy

And modeled by my pup

Lufah those are lovely yarns I really like the Gypsy mania yarn. I can't wait to see what everyone else posts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Lyme
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007 08:07:49 AM »

More superwash merino yarn. I've been spinning a lot of it lately and trying to get a sock-ish weight because it's so frigging easy to spin that it goes ridiculously quick. I have one full bobbin of the purple/pink stuff and about a quarter, and although it's not in the picture, more of the red/orange in the front. I'm especially pleased with the way that turned out. Both of the rovings for these were done by what I consider 'lazy dyeing' where I just throw some roving into a crockpot and add random colors instead of painting each roving in specific colorways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaceromantic.etsy.com
SPACE!Romantic hand-dyed rovings and hand-dyed & hand-spun yarns
feralfeminine
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007 09:00:56 AM »

I spun quite a bit this week. This week was also the very first snowfall of the year for me! It inspired a few skeins that I should have to show next friday. I love snowy weather!

Here's a mosaic, so as not to overload this thread with pictures:

And a few of my favorites (bigger pictures of all the yarns can be seen in my flickr account):

Flaura - I spun this yarn from fiber that I blended on my drum carder: chemical-free falkland (merino cross) wool in shades of natural undyed brown, white, plum, pink, and pale lavender, and gobs of pale silvery undyed pygora locks (from a pygora goat - look them up, they're super cute!). There are sections of 100% pygora throughout this skein. I spun in lovely felty baubles as I went - big round pebble-like baubles felted from naturally colored brown wool and big pink urchin-like flowers. There are three pink felty flowers in this yarn and I think 5 or 6 pebbles. They can slide around on the yarn, so they're very adjustable.

Spectra - a faux scrap yarn spun from corriedale cross wool. I spun 4 oz each of two separate colorways and then plied them together into two matching 4 oz skeins. I love the amount of color I managed to pack in this one!

Lovestruck - chemical-free falkland wool + gobs of the cleanest, softest kid mohair ever.

And, one more yarn that didn't make it into the mosaic:

Here Today - two matching skeins of self-striping falkland wool yarn. I almost kept this for myself - I really love the color progression: lemon yellow, pale orange, pink, gold, sky blue, teal, olive green, and chartreuse (yellow-green).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 01:35:30 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007 09:12:10 AM »

Whooooo!  Yay for snow fun!

I've been MIA for a couple of weeks, but I've done plenty of lurking.   Grin 
Lufah, I love your Gypsy Mania yarn!  Star...gorgeous scarf!  Lyme, the evenness of your yarn blows me away.  Feral, congrats on reopening and WOW!  lots o' gorgeous yarn. 

I've been doing a lot of spinning recently, so I hope I don't bore you all to tears with tons of pics:

Birds on a Wire -- Merino and tussah silk, plied with a holographic thread.  Those slubs of blue are HUGE.  89 yards, 3.3 oz

Comfort and Joy -- 85% superwash merino, 15% alpaca.  157 yards, 4.5 oz. 

Down in Fraggle Rock -- 50% merino, 50% Bernat Boa yarn.  This was an experiment with plying with commercial yarn.  It's soooooo soft.  50 yards, 3.2 oz

Verdigris -- superwash Blue Faced Leicester.  My first time spinning BFL, and it was AWESOME to spin!  So much easier than merino, but still soft.  153 yards, 3.8 oz

Impressionist -- Just a little merino yarn.  98 yards, 3.2 oz.

Everlasting Gobstopper --  Just another merino yarn.  112 yards, 3.6 oz.

Kids at Play -- Just another another merino yarn.  89 yards, 3.2 oz

Serious Altitude  -- Corriedale/Polypay cross wool, bamboo, angora bunny fluff, and angelina sparkle.  Dyed this fleece during the dye day of my spinning class, then carded it up and spun it woolen-style.  95 yards, 2.9 oz.

Sorry about the lengthy post, but I feel all caught up now!  Happy spinning to all!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
hardyswanton01
idle hands means you aren't crafting enough

laughter is good medicine, whisky is better

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007 09:40:29 AM »

I covet everything that has been posted!  It's all so yummy looking I want to work up a giant blankie and wrap it around me 24/7
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luxx

Used to be one of the rotten ones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007 10:57:28 AM »

So I haven't posted in awhile. Moving has taking up alot of my time and when I have spun something, I've been too lazy to take photos of it. My photos are of mini skeins left over from scarflettes.

Lufah - I love Gypsy Mania . I am in love with the colours and the chaos...so pretty!

Grassy knoll - Corridale and dyed by me. Lately I've been having fun with a drum carder. I just love the swirls of colour!

Troy - Corridale dyed by me

Berry Swirl - Corridale dyed by me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tweet me!
luxfish on twitter
I'm drinking water through my eyes, it's a trick I learned
www.luxfish.etsy.co m
Chillin' so hard my ass almost froze off
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007 03:35:21 PM »

So many lovely yarns one more time ! I couldn't choose one from the others, they are all gorgeous ! I would love a sweater out of Lufah's Gipsy thing !
I've been quite active too. I won't show you my skein of grey natural wool, I am proud of it because it much more even and thin, but just grey ! LOL ! More colorful : 2 big skeins (about 350 g alltogether) of Kool Aid Tropical punch dyed merino, plyed with golden machine embroidery thread.

This green-grey one is for my Mum. We dyed it together with Wilton's food gel last week end when she was visiting me. I'll give it to her for Christmas. It's about 150 g.

Have a good spinning week !
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 03:37:45 PM by Weddy_in_Paris » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007 06:12:01 PM »

Lufah- I love your socks. My daughter's favorite color is orange. Smiley
Nicolassa- I think my favorite this week is Fraggle rock.

This is Cornucopia. A thick and thin yarn made from Ingeo and plied with silk. I bought some Ingeo during the Tour De Fleece. Ingeo is made from corn fiber. Yahoo! 100% annually renewable fiber. If you have any questions about Ingeo you can check it out on my blog.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 06:35:45 PM by ivycircle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankierevolver
Miss M. Sassypants

Mo'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007 07:38:19 PM »

I spun quite a few but here are just the highlights:
1.) bamboo, angora, mohair locks
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2297/2093997451_9814088cb0.jpg
2.) angora,alpaca,merino

3.)silk,merino, alpaca

I've been spinning with a lot of silk,angora,alpaca,bamboo,mohair and of course wool! So fun!!
Cute dog scarf! hehehe
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 12:51:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Creole Sauce
How to Make Braised Brisket of Beef
How to Make Batter Dipped Snickers Bar
How to Make Sesame Chicken Tidbits
How to Make Onion Rings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...