A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pin-tuck pillow and tissue-box cozy NOW WITH TUTORIAL  (Read 4166 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 07, 2007 06:15:01 AM »

My parents designed and built a new house this year. Mom has a new room in it she's dubbed her "sitting room," just off their bedroom, with its own fireplace and lots of sunshine. She hasn't had time yet to make it all comfy, so I wanted part of her Christmas present to help her get cozy in her new room. It's painted what Benjamin Moore calls "Nutmeg" and "barely mauve," and anything I made also needed to be tied into the birds-egg blue of her bedroom. I thought, yeah, right, and prepared to buy or make something for it in a neutral.

Then I saw this fabric at Hancock's. There were the colors she chose plus a lovely milk chocolate brown! It was waaaaay more silky than I enjoy sewing with, but anything for mom, right?

Using the placemat tutorial in October's Sew Simple magazine, I made this squishy soft pillow that she can use to prop up her bad ankle or roll for her neck:

And then one day at Curves, where I exercise most days, I saw a strange little tissue-box cozy that looked like it would be nice in a sitting room. I promptly gave it a thorough look-see, drew it out, and this was born:

(I know, ICK, a cozy, but it kind of fits the theme, don't you think?)

Two presents down, a gazillion to go!

(That's my son's science fair experiment separating hydrogen and oxygen from water in the background...oops. We don't eat batteries!)

Thanks to those who asked for one...a tutorial.

This is my first tutorial, so help me wherever you see holes or know better ways to do something!

I would love to see your tissue cozies! Post 'em, please!

First, for those who just need the dimensions:

--16"w x 18"l piece of fabric (16" around the box, 18" for the bottom, box, channel, and ruffle)
--The tie needs to be about 28" long (3" wide/sewn in half for self-tie).
--I allowed 1/4" seam allowance.
--Have fun! Please share your results! Roll Eyes

Next, the schematic:

Finallythe color-coded directions, beginning with a 16" wide and 18" tall piece of fabric...

1. Find the center by folding fabric in half long way. You now have an 8 x 18" rectangle.  Mark the center by fingerpressing.

2. From the top edge of your long, skinny rectangle, measure 4 1/4 inches down along the fingerpressed line and mark with chalk. This will be the TOP of your 1" button hole. [/color]

3.  Make a 1" button hole.

4.  Fold down 1/4 inch from top edge of fabric and press to finish edge.

5. Fold again, 2 3/4 inches from top. Press, but unfold it again. (You're just marking the fold for later but do it now because it will be easier than doing it once you have a tube.)

6. Fold back to that 8" x now-almost-18" rectangle with right sides together, and sew along the raw edge with 1/4" seam allowance. You now have a tube. Yay for you! Nearly done.

7. Fold your tube so that the seam you just made is in the CENTER. Sew the bottom closed. Your two seams now look like an T, like this:

8. Box the corners in 2". If you need help doing this, look here. I trimmed and finished the edges on mine, but you could just tack the points together in the middle if your fabric is thin enough.

9. Back to finish up the top. Now that you have your buttonhole, you're ready to make the channel and ruffle. Straighten up the 3" fold you made in step 2 and tuck under the 1/4 inch you pressed under. Sew the finished edge down. You now have a big channel with your button hole near the bottom.

10. Stitch again, 1" above the line of stitching you just made. (Try to miss the buttonhole, but if you catch a bit of it, don't sweat it. Once it's all ruffled, no one will know!). You now have a channel for your tie/ribbon and a nifty-snifty ruffle above it.

11. Make/cut your tie. If you're making your tie and not using a ribbon, fold the tie in half and sew along long edge. Turn the tube and press so that the seam is in the middle. Fold under a bit of each end and press. Top stitch the entire tie.  

Use a safety pin to thread the tie though the buttonhole and channel. Put in your tissues, tighten, and tie. You're done!

(p.s. Geaux Tigers!  Grin)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 08:59:54 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
contrivant
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007 06:53:41 AM »

Ahhh I don't believe you, I think y'all are battery eating aliens! Everyone, run! Wink

Seriously, though, I saw this and I said...that looks like the placemat on Sew Simple...and Voila! It was.  I'm such a sewing magazine whore...looks fantastic, I like the way you incorporated the tute Smiley

Battery eaters Tongue

I use too many smileys
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007 07:24:57 AM »

Nooooo, reeeaaallllyyy. The spoons are just there to measure the salt!  Grin (I like using smileys too!)

Thank you, contrivant.
I love sewing magazines, especially this one that doesn't give projects geared to certain very expensive machines. This project is great because it was very clear and said things like "fold in half" instead of "measure to find center point." Now THAT I can do!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007 07:35:03 AM »

These are beautiful ... so elegant!
 My grandmother would LOVE the tissue holder. Shes the tissue QUEEN; 3 boxes in every room of her house... with those not so elegant plastic canvas box covers...

I recognized the "placemat" pin tuck too! LOL I like it in pillow form better!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007 10:04:24 AM »

Babyangel, thank you. I was aiming at elegant, but I'm woefully unequipped to know if I hit it.

The tissue box is really easy; you could make one for your grandmother in a snap. (Just don't use really slick material, which doubles the time.)

I want to make some placemats, too, but I wanted an interesting pillow and thought, "why not?" She might get some of the placemats for Mother's Day!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 10:06:07 AM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007 10:27:36 AM »

Cute! Lucky mother you have. I'd love to make a few of those tissue box cozies for gifts... would you be willing/able to share how you did it?? Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
graced

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007 10:36:46 AM »

Sure!

Give me a few minutes to get my thoughts together, and I'll be right back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007 10:37:14 AM »

Babyangel, thank you. I was aiming at elegant, but I'm woefully unequipped to know if I hit it.

The tissue box is really easy; you could make one for your grandmother in a snap. (Just don't use really slick material, which doubles the time.)

would you mind sharing a few tips to make it as supurb as yours?  Grin

THANKS!!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 10:38:38 AM by Babyangel - Reason: you're quicker than me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007 12:15:16 PM »

The pillow looks wonderful!  But the tissue box cover really caught my eye!  You did such a fabulous job!  Did you make a "box out of fabric" then drawstring/ribbon it closed at the top?  What a great prezzie idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007 03:05:13 PM »

nomij , thank you! You're right...that's exactly what it is...a fabric box with a channel/buttonhole for a drawstring.

Before I decided I had to make my own pattern, I looked online for a tute or something and saw some for sale (about $4) that actually used satin ribbon (about 1/2" wide, I think) to pull the top closed, but I like the fuller bow and the more substantial look of a self-tie like the leopard-print one I saw at Curves. I think they might have done that because it allowed them to make the box out of a fat quarter. (If you make the self tie, you are just that much short of fabric.) I bet creative craftsters could come up with a nicer-looking tie so we can all buy those cute fat quarters!

Back soon with photos/tute. (Making the bag is very simple. Making a tute not so much!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Trick For Slimming Your Face With Make-Up, from Katia Beauchamp
Beauty Essentials For Men, from Katia Beauchamp
A Quick Remedy For Hair Static, from Katia Beauchamp
How To Keep Your Lipstick On All Day,from Katia Beauchamp
Tips To A Healthy Glow In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...