A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home-made yarn winder (Now with more pictures)  (Read 159329 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

franna724
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005 05:01:56 AM »

Great idea!  But I bet my 5 year old would somehow take it apart and build something else.   Cheesy

Anna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cejaypi
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005 10:56:07 PM »

That is AWESOME!! I have sent the link, REPEATEDLY, to my boyfriend in hopes he will feel inspired and put his legos forth to the better good of our relationship (ie anything that makes me happy behooves our situation!!)  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005 10:30:35 AM »

wow. that is so amazing. I don't think I could do it, but my little bro is a lego genius. He still has all his lego's even though he's 17. I wonder how much I'd have to pay him to get him to build me one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
mel-my-issa

f*** it dude, let's go bowling.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005 11:01:10 AM »

That is amazing!  Shocked Shocked I can't believe I haven't seen this here before! I am going to challenge my little sister to make one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinytallgirl
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005 01:43:36 PM »

Happy New Year everyone!  I just wanted to share my new yarn related Xmas present with everyone.  For christmas I aquired over 20 lovely hanks of yarn, but with no winder it'd be 20 hours of winding before any knitting could begin.  So my boyfriend came up with this ingenius solution:
Yes, I am the luckiest knitter around.  Now if only he could make a lego spinning wheel... Smiley

Now for more pictures and description of how it's built go here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=21252.msg201750#msg201750

Your boyfriend is rad!!!  I'm going to have to make one myself instead of buying the ugly blue and white one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
Cherrymonkett
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2005 04:22:53 PM »

You should make like a lego kit and sell it! I know I would buy it! (goes to dig through her brothers legos to create one.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
highway16

And that's very unusual for me...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2005 04:56:08 PM »

As the "handy" partner of a "crafty" girl, my sweetie sends props!  That's awesome!

Let's hear it for the spouses who can describe the process of making a cabled scarf yet don't now how to hold needles.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinytallgirl
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005 05:22:34 PM »

What was used to hold the yarn that it was winding onto?  It looks like and upside down jar lid over a film canister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
JoHunter
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2005 01:38:33 AM »

Wow!  Thanks so much everyone for the great comments, I still use the winder on a regular basis and it hasn't failed me yet (nor has my bf).

TinyTallGirl: The yarn is wound onto a large white wheel (what looks like a jar lid) connected to a series of smaller tires.  We wrapped a piece of paper around the tires and cut a notch in the top for centre pull.  Though I'm sure in a pinch a few film canisters would do the trick if you could keep them together, might not be enough friction though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2005 01:34:12 PM »

That's awesome!  I love Lego Mindstorms.  We use them at work to teach the kids about robotics (I work for a kids engineering camp). 

For those people who were looking at building them who don't have the right parts kicking around:  Lego stopped standard kits of Mindstorms a year or two ago, but they still sell educational kits and solo pieces through educational supply stores like Spectrum.  Keep in mind, however, that a kit costs a couple hundred dollars.  An RCX brick (the yellow "brain") costs close to a hundred on it's own, and the motor another twenty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Editing the Contents of a Group
Macromedia Flash 8 - Grouping Vector Shapes
Macromedia Flash 8 - Vector Drawing Techniques
Macromedia Flash 8 - Combining Tools to Create Detailed Curves
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating Complex Shapes with Intersecting Lines
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...