A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: won yarn at auction, now what do I do with it?  (Read 986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

akneedler
« on: December 06, 2007 03:48:25 PM »

So I was at a fund-raising auction for the Yukon Quest dog race and won the auction for Cherry Tree Hill wool yarn in earth-tones.  It's great yarn, i love the color but here's the question:  What do I make with 1200 yards of yarn?  The label specifically says I'll never be able to match this with any other yarn, it's paint-dyed or something like that so I make sure I have enough before I knit.  So I started a great cabled cardigan, a perfect pattern but I'm nearly done with one of the front panels and one of the skeins of yarn.  I'm figuring it'll be almost exactly one skein for each of the front panels, one for each sleeve and maybe two full ones for the back.  That leaves NO extra yarn for the collar, belt, extra cable I may have to make going up each side since it's probably not going to block out to be big enough... Ugh, so after all of that, what should I make?  It seems like it should be enough to make something big (sweater).  Anyone have a sweater pattern (or link to one) that would definitely be knit with under 1200 yards?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schnail
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007 03:53:19 PM »

Seeing as you were at a dog race maybe you could make a dog sweater? For a little dog of course. Or if the yarn is too good for that maybe a bolero or cropped cardigan?

You might be able to make Roam - from the fall edition of Knitty. It uses 1250yds of yarn but you could leave off the hood (make a collar instead by finishing the hood component after a few rows) and so complete it with your 1200yds.

I wish you luck in finding a pattern Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007 05:17:59 PM »

Make the sleeves in a complementary color, maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
stripey_cat
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007 06:32:32 AM »

What weight is the yarn?  That'll make a difference Tongue  How about a lace pattern to stretch the yarndage (maybe only on selected areas as a detail)?
K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sulkycat
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007 10:40:10 AM »

contrast the trims & if need be the whole back? if you did the back in a contrast & kept the rib or whatever the bottom trim is, in the main colour it would tie it all in
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatyerhartout
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007 11:06:25 AM »

Hmmm...short or 3/4 sleeves? A bolero?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007 10:28:09 AM »

I crochet and don't know how to knit, so I don't know how easy this is, but... Why don't you find a yummy complimentary yarn and do the collar and belt in that? And if it's possible, you could do the extra cable in the complimentary yarn too, to tie it all together.
It has the potential to look really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
Skellerz
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007 07:14:56 PM »

Top down Raglan would be cute...
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007 05:23:42 PM »

another question, what size are you?
You could knit Wicked from Zephyrstyle.com. The larges size they have is 1100 yards of worsted. It's a really cute boat neck top down raglan, you may also be able to do the tree jacket. All but the largest size call for 1200 or less.

Hope that helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
akneedler
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007 11:11:16 PM »

well thank you for the ideas.  i'm still undecided but i'm thinking of making a sweater with a heavy fleece contrasting panel rather than knit the whole thing.  i was thinking of knitting the sleeves in a cable down the top of arm, cabled underarm panel, collar, waistband and cuffs.  I'm about a 5'4" size 8 so it doesn't need to be too big but not exactly waifish either.  my 13yo daughter will happily wear anything i accidentally make too small (she was the lucky recipient of a feece jacket this week - oops!)

i'll have to post some more before i can show you the inspiration picture...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 4/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 9/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 5/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 3/12
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...