A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Snuggles for Shelter Animals  (Read 4606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lyzard
Nightfall Accessories

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2007 02:41:34 PM »

The Snuggles Project: www.snugglesproject .org needs help from all you sewers, knitters, crocheters and quilters! 

All the info is on their site, but the basic idea is that the animals at shelters need warm blankets to sleep on. 

You can donate your handmade blankets to local shelters in your area (they have a very comprehensive list) and help the poor dogs and cats who would otherwise have to sleep on cold floors in their cages.  These "snuggles" help comfort animals who arrive at these shelters very traumatized and frightened, and studies have shown that animals comfortably resting on blankets are much more adoptable. 

These snuggles can even help the animal's transition into a new home as it gives them a familiar object to seek comfort from as they adapt to new surroundings.

This is a fabulous way to use up your old yarn or fabric stash.  These animals aren't picky as to the colors- they just need a good snuggle, so check it out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

katmeowmeow
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007 05:44:31 PM »

Thanks for the link.  I have a ton of extra fabric and I would love to help out.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GothicFeverDream
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007 01:49:10 PM »

what a sweet idea and cause, hope you dont mind that im gunna repost it on a bulletin on myspace, i have lots of crafty animal lover friends their that could possibly help:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"..I can dim the lights and sing you songs filled with sad things, we can do the tango just for two, I can serenade and gently play upon your heart strings, be your Valentino just for you.."

http://www.myspace.com/sneauxwhyte627
darkchild24
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007 04:03:08 PM »

what an awesome idea! thanks for posting the link. definately going to look into doing it.

-Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
everkutz
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007 09:37:27 PM »

I have crocheted and delivered 30 snuggle mats for the kitties at our local animal shelter.  I'm working on hammocks now.  The hammocks can be hung in the kitties' cages and allow 1 or more animals to snuggle up together.    I hope to find fabric or old blankets to make mats for the dog cages because right now the dogs have nothing to lay on but concrete.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
JadedMoonlight
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007 05:40:41 PM »

That's a wonderful idea! I know I work at the animal shelters, and our dogs and cats are always seeking out a bit of warmth and comfort out in their cages (especially around this time of year, while it's sleeting outdoors. =( )

Also, we have a lot of feral cats that, when domesticated, can become great pets. However, fear often gets the best of them. A handmade blanket of some sort with a HUMAN scent helps them relate humans with good things faster, making them more adoptable (and increasing turnover of animals, which allows us to keep bringing more cats in).

Sooooo, I'll definitely be doing this in my spare time with scrap yarn. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samtaro

I needs my yarn!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007 10:57:12 PM »

I love animals and all animal causes but.... I think that charities that comfort little HUMAN kids is the way to go. 

Contact your local police department, my local police department is completely open to receiving comfort blankets and teddy bears for kids that are put into foster care.  Donating to this sort of cause could make all the difference in the world to kids!  These kids are our future!                                                           

Or you could do both.  While you might not think this is as "worthy" a cause as making things for people, many others will.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007 08:22:43 AM »

I just found out about this from the last LionBrand email, and I'm excited to start making them- great way to use up all those yarn leftovers, to practice new stitches, or to make something out of a project that went terribly, terribly wrong (and by wrong, I mean trapezoidal.)  And making them is a nice little mindless break from more labor intensive projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008 04:41:08 PM »

I found this post a couple weeks ago and am very excited about it.  I've already scouted out my local shelters from the list (http://www.h4ha.org/shelter-directory/index.php) and am working with the ManFlesh to get some blankets made.  I will post them on the Pet board when they're done and link to this post, so maybe more people can learn about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008 08:40:16 PM »

I have crocheted many snuggle mats in several different shapes and sizes, but now I am trying something new.  I am making hammocks to hang from the kitty/cat cages by using either an inexpensive new blanket or a gently used blanket.  I will put a grommet in each corner of the hammock square or rectangle and then use shower curtain hooks or something similar to go through the grommet and hang from the cage.  Frightened kitties are supposed to like being cozy in a hanging hammock (I read this on some website) and it will get them off the cage bottom.  Right now, my local shelter doesn't have any hammocks, but they will soon have at least 6 with more to come as I work out the details!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Light Mini Donut Recipe
How to Make Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding
Raw Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Magnolia Bakery Strikes Balance Between Sweet and Smart
Healthier Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...