A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 305,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cookbooks for Morons  (Read 2821 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mpower4
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007 12:56:56 PM »

Oh wow.  Thanks for all your suggestions.  I didn't expect to get so many.  This week is exam week, but next week I will definitely be checking this stuff out!

Feel free to keep the recommendations coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007 07:07:33 AM »

You could try those 5 ingredient books, though they use a bit of canned and convenience stuff. Once you get comfortable in the kitchen with your 5 ingredients, then you can graduate to something else.

As an alternative, you can make an investment and have a personal chef come to your home and teach you the basics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

okdok
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007 03:15:11 PM »

I give every bride Fanny Farmer Cookbook. Very simple recipes. Great book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caroslime
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007 11:11:35 PM »

I would like to second (or was it third?!) the recommendation for The Joy of Cooking.  It's insanely comprehensive and very accessible.  My husband and I both use it so regularly that it hardly ever makes it back to its shelf.  There is a copy of Fanny Farmer at my husband's family's cabin, and that often proves to be a great resource too.  I also recommend watching a little bit of cooking tv...as much as she annoys me, Rachael Ray has some great time-saving techniques that I would never have thought of myself.  Alton Brown is extremely informative as well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sandytoes
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007 12:09:34 PM »

For a basic cook book, I like the Betty crocker cookbook.....you know--the one with the cover  that is red and white checked?  They have it at Walmart, Sam's Target right now for the holidays, and it includes basic
American cooking--stuff that MOM makes........or Grandma........it is a really good reference.......

The fix it and forget it crockpot  cook books are great--it IS hard to mess up in the crockpot......

Have you ever watched How to Boil Water on food network??  It is aimed at beginer cooks.........also  SemiHomemade withSandra Lee  is a good show to watch cause she shows you how to cook using store bought shortcuts............Good Luck!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Home is where your dog is....
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007 02:51:18 PM »

i have seen some that are just 3 or 4 or 5 ingredients - but don't overthink cooking!!   it 's baking that takes more precise measurements - also - always write on the recipe  you use - IE use more/ less... bake longer/ less etc...  very good/never again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007 09:22:56 AM »

i started cooking at 13, and since my mom is hispanic we ate a LOT of beans...burritos...sopa...gorditas growing up.  so i got my first cookbook, "chopsticks, cleaver, and wok" by jennie low.  its written for a novice cook to prepare chinese homestyle meals, and i learned every single recipe in there (except the pigsfeet.  eew.)  it covers how to shop for ingredients, how long they keep, how to store them, how to cut different vegetables and meats, everything.  and every recipe has notes on what steps can be done in advance, and how long in advance.  i can't say enough good things about this book, it literally taught me to cook. my husband got me a new copy for my birthday this year, when my old one was so stained and crusted shut it could no longer be read. (im 25.  i used that book on a daily basis for years.  it was a MESS!)  starting with this book with no prior knowledge of the kitchen, you really can make better food than you will get at most chinese restaurants.  admitteldly, there is an initial investment in ingredients you might not have on hand already, but this is the most economical cuisine you can imagine- especially if you shop at asian grocery stores. (i mean come on?  supporting mom and pop grocery stores AND getting top quality rice at 8 bucks for 20 pounds?! hells yeah.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
!b
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007 11:47:39 AM »

I agree with crockpot cooking being one of the easiest ways to make yourself a tasty and healthy meal. Every time I know someone moving out on their own I set them up with the two Company's Coming cook books (Slow Cooker Meals and Slowcooker Recipes) and a slowcooker since they are pretty cheap.

I highly suggest recipes for the crockpot where you throw all the raw ingredients in at once and leave it. Its an awesome kitchen confidence builder because you leave it on low for 8 hours, come home, and have something warm and delicious to eat! So Easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tuchen
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007 12:44:54 AM »

Alton Brown's cookbooks are pretty good too. He has a book that tells you what are essential tools for the kitchen and the others are quite good at explaining things.

Of course, I ALWAYS recommend Alton's stuff. It's good at explaining things, not only the recipe but why you get that end result or why this will react with that. Which is good to learn so that later on you can improvise a bit if you are missing an ingredient or don't have enough. I agree with him that the only thing that should be a unitasker in the kitchen is the fire extinguisher!

I do agree that cooking is much more lenient than baking! Baking is very exact and changing anything other than flavorings can result in complete disaster! (We shan't discuss some of my more memorable baking disasters! they were quite scary!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Tuchen

Mini 13 Halloween Swap: (DONE! YAY!)
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007 09:47:02 AM »

YES!  Alton Brown!  that was one of the things my husband and i got together on when we first met- we both thought he was one of the raddest, sexiest guys on tevee- we have a bunch of his dvds and 'i'm only here for the food' is a GREAT book.  (i didn't get it until years after i'd entered the kitchen, though.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vietnamese Shrimp Skewers Recipe
Crab Meat Salad Recipe
Indian Lentil Stew Recipe
Turkey and Ginger Panini Recipe
Cambodian Stir Fried Tofu Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...