A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,905
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cookbooks for Morons  (Read 2946 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mpower4
« on: December 06, 2007 12:59:51 PM »

Let me start by saying I am a horrible, horrible cook.  I can knit a sweater in 2 days, but for some reason I am an absolute disaster in the kitchen.  I am also a complete klutz.

Last May I chipped a molar on some rice I made.  I have almost set my kitchen on fire 3 times.  I have even messed up boiling water before (turned on the wrong burner and then wondered why nothing was happening for 15 minutes).  The first time I made grilled cheese, I had to call my friend for instructions.  I was 20 at the time.

And yet, I still am determined to learn how to cook!  Ordering in or eating out for every meal is entirely to expensive, not to mention really unhealthy.  But most cookbooks I pick up I don't understand.  And they all have so many ingredients!

Does anyone know of cookbooks for people who can't cook?  With healthy, inexpensive foods?  Am I asking too much?  Should I just give up and invest in an Easy-Bake Oven?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MizMosa
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007 01:06:02 PM »

You might try starting out with a cookbook aimed at kids.  The instructions are pretty easy, and a lot of them even list the types of equipment you'll need for each recipe.  I have quite a few, and have found some recipes that I really like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skoo
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007 05:29:22 PM »

I always use www.allrecipes.com.  It has varied levels of "hardness" but it's great because you can look up anything you'd want to eat, and see how people have rated the recipe before you even try it.  Also, people usually leave tips in the comments with the recipes.  You should try it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007 07:46:42 PM »

Emeril Lagasse has an awesome kids' cookbook.  the recipes are easy, but they don't rely on processed foods, and they're TASTASTIC!  for down-home style cooking, you could try the "Little House on the Prairie" cookbook- most libraries have that one.  Recipezaar.com is a good website to use, too--they have a "cookbook" system that's sort of like Craftster's bookmarks.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 12:58:54 PM by radiationbaby - Reason: spelling error » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
Kaissa
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007 08:01:36 PM »

I love cookbooks and read them like novels but there's two that I use all the time for basic reference:
Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

Both have a variety of recipes for every skill level, as well as sections on cooking basics and cooking tips.  All the recipes are well written and tell you step by step exactly what you want to do.

You might also look at crockpot cookbooks - Fix it and Forget it is a good one. It's really hard to mess up crockpot food, and the best thing is, your dinner is already cooked when you get home at the end of the day! Using a crockpot is good for saving money too - due to the long slow cook time, cheaper cuts of meat do really well in them.  And it's the only way I'll cook dried beans (cheap and healthy!)

MizMosa mentioned allrecipes.com - I second that! I use that site about 5 times a week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007 09:18:58 PM »

Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything."

The BH&G one is good, too.

For something more encyclopedic, "The Joy of Cooking."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bluewolf
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007 07:20:52 AM »

Step by Step cooking

I don't remember who it's by but it looked pretty good.
Has pictures and everything!

Then you got your Dummies series these books are awsome!

They have one that I think is right up your alley

"Cooking Basics for dummies"  or

"30 minute meals for dummies"

and a plether of all kinds of regional cooking

I have several different Dummies guides
but don't have a Cooking one

I use a 1945 Culinary Arts institute Cookbook mostly but I also have about 200 other cookbooks at my disposal
I am a book-a-holic Grin

Hope these help

Wolfie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodnorevil

First name: Neither

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007 03:08:00 PM »

I recommend the Joy of Cooking - their instructions are totally comprehensive, and you can always find a used copy for cheap at yer local bookstore (LBS ?).

Oh, and don't feel bad. I'm actually a pretty good cook, and I still turn the wrong burner on. All the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Science is crafty too.

http://www.wists.com/goodnorevil
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007 05:43:22 PM »

When I went to college, my mom gave me a copy of "The Absolute Beginner's Cookbook".  The recipes are pretty quick and easy, the utensils you need are listed with each recipe, and most of the ingredients are affordable on a poor college student's budget.  Some of the ingredients are things like "1 can cream of mushroom soup" or "1 cup Thousand Island dressing" as opposed to "x amount of basil, y amount of oregano, z amount of olive oil, blah blah blah".  I was (and am) far from a beginner, but I still use that cookbook today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MizMosa
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007 06:50:42 AM »

Oh, and don't feel bad. I'm actually a pretty good cook, and I still turn the wrong burner on. All the time.

Me too!  Especially if I try to use the back left burner.  Gets me every time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Patriotic Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Walnut Bread Recipe
Techniques for Perfectly Frosting Your Cake
How to Put Icing on a Cake
Cupcake Masterclasses: Working with Sugarpaste
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...