A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Christmas Snowflakes  (Read 1611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OutrageousOrange
« on: December 06, 2007 11:12:14 AM »

I needed thoughtful Christmas gifts for various people in my life, who I don't see everyday, but would still like them to know I thought of them this holiday season. I was actually looking for ways to recycle plastic bags [I LOVE LIVING GREEN] and I stumbled across this pattern http://www.10000greatideas.com/ideadet.php?iid=638 Instead of using plastic bags, I used crochet thread and a size 7/1.65 mm hook.

The linked pattern does have some errors, but a few people commented on how you can fix them. So I crocheted up a few snowflakes and went searching for methods to stiffen them. There are several ways, from using sugar water, spray or liquid starch, to my chosen method, watered down white school glue. You want to pin your snowflake to the cardboard, so it can hold its shape, after you've applied the glue. I taped wax paper to a piece of cardboard, so I had something to stick my pins into. I used quilters pins, but it doesn't really matter what kind of pins you use, as long as they won't rust, because they will be exposed to water.

And what says the holidays better than GLITTER! After I applied the glue/water solution, I gave it a generous dusting with glitter. Tip - Don't use regular craft glitter. I used craft glitter the first time around, trying to save a few dollars. The craft glitter doesn't stick as well as the ultra fine glitter, and the bigger squares of craft glitter will hide your delicate stitches. So spring for the ultra fine glitter. Apply it while it's still wet. Wait for your snowflake to dry, remove your pins, and turn your snowflake over. I applied the glue solution to the back of the snowflake, and dusted it with glitter again. There wasn't a need to re-pin the snowflake. After the initial pinning, it will hold it's shape. After this dries, I apply two more coats of glue solution, just to make sure the snowflake is nice and stiff. And here is the snowflake in all it's glory!

Sorry about the pictures. Glitter doesn't photograph very well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Orange!
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007 12:54:26 PM »

I LOVE THOSE!!
and i loveee the glitter.
eee i use christmas as my own personal excuse to buy LOADS of glitter  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
hawtmamah
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007 01:55:18 PM »

oh my word i am so in awe. I've been wanting to make snowflakes for about a month now and just haven't worked up the courage to try something so delicate!!! your's came out beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all cut up
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007 02:00:30 PM »

My grandmother just gave me all her old wool, thread, needles, hooks and patterns so I decided to try some snowflakes.  I was surprised at how easy snowflakes are once you get the hang of it.  The hardest part is starting the next round, especially when you don't have a good example of what the finished project looks like.  Overall well-worth the effort though.  I'll have to try the glitter for my next round!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vivcrafts
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007 02:27:11 PM »

I was about to give up my crochet snowflake marathon, as it takes me forever to make one, and they look  bland to me. But not yours. Thank you for sharing your glitter tip. Are you happy with your glue/water solution. My instructions say half glue/half water. Guess what I am doing tonight.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007 03:34:44 PM »

Thats great.  I have some crochet thread I just need some smaller hooks. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
OutrageousOrange
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007 07:11:07 AM »

I am happy with the glue/water solution. It was a guessing game at first, how much water, how much glue. If you use too much glue, the crochet thread can't absorb it, and it just sits on top of your stitches. You need just enough water, that the string can soak it up. I squirt some glue in a little dish, and just turn the water barely on, run the dish under the water, and pull it right back out, so maybe a teaspoon of water to a tablespoon of glue??? If you get too much water, it's not a big deal. It won't be as stiff, but you can just apply another coat. When I first tried crochet snowflakes, I was so frustrated. I found several patterns, and everyone writes patterns differently, and they were so hard to understand. It's hard to work with such a small hook, and very thin thread, the tension takes a bit of practice, but after a few tries, you get the hang of it Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Orange!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Hide Big Ears
How to Get Big Bouncy Curls
How to Get an Old Hollywood Glamour Side Part
How to French Braid
How to Do a Headband Braid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...