A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Singer Simple 16-Stitch Sewing Machine, 3116  (Read 414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lucastheboo
« on: December 06, 2007 10:30:28 AM »

I'm getting a sewing machine for x-mas and was wondering if anyone has used this model. I really know nothing about them, other than it would make sewing alot easier than doing it by hand (after I learn to use it of course) I'll include the link to wal-mart so you can see a picture, a review would be swell.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4698205
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007 07:04:40 PM »

Are you looking at Wal-mart because of your budget? Don't sell yourself short!

I tell everyone looking for a new machine the same thing- go sew on a bunch of machines! Friends, schools, old ladies from church, new machines at a fabric store & a sewing machine specific place if your town has one- try them all.

Learning to sew is a bit like learning to drive, sure it's great if you get to practice on a new Mercedez, but trying to learn on a '79 Pinto is going to work against you. Just sampling you will find some machines feel better to you. This in itself will give you a better idea of what you want to learn on.

There are a number of brands/ machines that are just as good used & 25 years old. Likewise there are machines that are crap brand new on the store shelves.

Janome makes a number of very reasonably priced ($79 on sale-$149 US) good, basic machines that are available through most Hancock's & Jo-Ann's stores. I just got a fancy schmancy new Janome Professional for Christmas, you don't want to know how how much...
Most Singers over 15 years old are very reliable and often under $50. New Singers are up for debate.
Any Bernina. Note: Bernina are Swiss, like Rolex, and pretty much the Rolex of sewing machines Smiley don't die of sticker shock.
Brother: many feel their low end machines aren't worth much, but the higher end/ more complicated ones are very good, as are the much older models. Like Singer the company has changed, where the machines are manufactured, etc. This has affected quality to a certain extent. YMMV
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucastheboo
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007 05:47:02 PM »

I get a discount for working at walmart, but I'd buy elsewhere for one that is good to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Filet Mignon Crostini Recipe for Thanksgiving
How to Make Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese
How to Make Hash Browns
How to Make Hush Puppies
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...