A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Dahlia (Winter 2007)  (Read 6048 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2007 10:29:46 AM »

Any takers?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTdahlia.html

I just happen to have five skeins of the same color/lot of Cascade 220 riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: The Prettiest Star

Ravelry ID: honeypeaches
thadley

What the hell do you need a pattern for?!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007 11:33:39 AM »

I just saw this and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Did you know the designer is a freshman in HS? How awesome is that?! Good luck, be sure to post some pics of your Dahlia... I might get up the courage in the future to try this one... but for now, it's a little out of my skill range (not to mention I have 2 other projects lined up first!).

-Tara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara, the Craft-Rule-Breaker
"We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again..." The Eagles, Take It Easy
b1znatch
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007 02:48:35 PM »

I will definitely make this! I was actually planning on designing something like this for myself but this girl beat me to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007 06:38:47 PM »

I love this! I definitely will be watching this KAL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
iKnit.iPurl
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007 04:31:52 PM »

I will most definitely join you! There were only two or three patterns that called out to me and this is one of them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I knit, therefore I am.

- AJ
mlcrays
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007 08:58:27 PM »

I'm in!  As soon as I saw this pattern I knew that I had to make it.  I will be using Paton's classic wool, since that is what I have in my stash.  Can't wait to see everyone's progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poerava
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007 07:49:42 AM »

I love it too but i need to finish my tilted duster 1st and make the gathered pullover. Then it will be Dahlia. but i'll be watching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Poerava
Please consider being a bone marrow/stem cell donor, you could help save a life. http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html
I have vintage sewing pattern in various sizes available for trade. Also a vintage knitting booklet available. pm if intereste
Odri
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007 06:24:00 PM »

I will join you as soon as I finish my horrible finals. (December 20!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

Cross my heart and kiss my elbow.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007 12:24:48 AM »

I'm about 20 rows into it! Wink

I saw the pattern and just about started drooling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sthrnsweetie
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007 09:06:31 AM »

Yay!  I admired this top, but didn't plan on making it until I saw paton's classic on sale in the PERFECT fern/olive green color.  I cast on a few days ago, and am an inch or so from the cables!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
-Rowena Ravenclaw
chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007 11:13:01 AM »

I just started the cables last night Cheesy

I love this pattern, and I'm using Caron Simply Soft in Light Country Blue

I'm sort of allergic to wool, and this yarn is SO soft.

I've been looking at the pattern and I'm thinking about making the skirt much longer. I'm not sure if I'll have the patience, but I think it would look pretty. We'll see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008 05:27:20 AM »

i cast on this for my sister it seems like a fun knit but i couldnt get any further than row2 becasue of the increases.. it just doesnt seem to be right and it is a pain to do it on the r2 (how am i supposed to do it in the first marker where there is only 1 stitch?)... i am thinking to switch into kfb instead, any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Odri
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008 01:09:41 PM »

I am doing this in size small and I have just finished doing the first 6 rows 5 times. However, when I counted the stitches at the end, I had 200 instead of 253! OMG....what did I do wrong. This is my first sweater and I am getting really discouraged. Not to menton that my LLI look really crappy.
uuuuugh.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VALiant
YarnStormer

(formerly VeganPickles)

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008 03:03:43 AM »

DUDE! I seriously adore this pattern. As soon as I gather all of my supplies, I'm starting.  Grin
I just started the cables last night Cheesy

I love this pattern, and I'm using Caron Simply Soft in Light Country Blue

I'm sort of allergic to wool, and this yarn is SO soft.

I've been looking at the pattern and I'm thinking about making the skirt much longer. I'm not sure if I'll have the patience, but I think it would look pretty. We'll see.
Can you let us know how that turns out? I'm a vegan, so I'm always looking for good alternatives to wooly fibers. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to teach the world to knit!
chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008 05:31:23 PM »

Can you let us know how that turns out? I'm a vegan, so I'm always looking for good alternatives to wooly fibers. Thanks so much!

It looks fabulous-- the cables are holding up so well! I'm a big fan of simply soft-- $2.07 a skein does wonders for a college student's budget, and it's SOOO soft. I'll post pictures when I finish it (which will probably be very soon).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slmoses
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008 07:53:42 PM »

It looks fabulous-- the cables are holding up so well! I'm a big fan of simply soft-- $2.07 a skein does wonders for a college student's budget, and it's SOOO soft. I'll post pictures when I finish it (which will probably be very soon).

Excellent! I was going to ask you how yours was knitting up because I just bought some simply soft in Violet to make the Dahlia. Did you have any issues with the pattern? This is going to be my first sweater (if I don't chicken out!), so any advice would be much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008 08:06:54 PM »

Excellent! I was going to ask you how yours was knitting up because I just bought some simply soft in Violet to make the Dahlia. Did you have any issues with the pattern? This is going to be my first sweater (if I don't chicken out!), so any advice would be much appreciated.

I haven't had any issues with the pattern. I do reccomend using stitch markers, just to keep track. I did come up a few stitches too many after joining in the round, so I'd say you should count your stitches whenever there is a count listed in the pattern.

This isn't the first sweater I've started, but hopefully it will be the first one I finish...  Undecided

It's a pretty straightforward pattern-- there were a few techniques I had to look up, though, so if you have any questions I'll try and help out the best I can. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sthrnsweetie
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008 05:12:17 PM »

I didn't really add any important info, but I have finished mine and am about to block.  The neckline rolls quite a bit, even with the edging, but I hope to fix that in blocking.  Also, I was so impatient on the cable skirt - it never seemed to get any longer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Rowena Ravenclaw
alwaysblushing

Alonzi Alonzo!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008 07:52:16 PM »

I'm so in! I loved the pattern the first time I saw it and am scampering to get money to buy the yarn this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Odri
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008 04:31:46 PM »

I started on December 31 and after overcoming my few problems with the number of stitches, I am now knitting the cable skirt. This is a great pattern, easy to understand, even for a beginner like me. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lanyu
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008 06:46:30 AM »

Can someone explain or point me to learn Left Lifted Increase? After RLI, slip marker,
the LLI actually is picking the stitch under the RLI I just did, isn't it?

Is there a picture to show what the pattern becomes around this area?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sthrnsweetie
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008 09:35:45 AM »

Can someone explain or point me to learn Left Lifted Increase? After RLI, slip marker,
the LLI actually is picking the stitch under the RLI I just did, isn't it?

I found that the increase looked better for me if I knit one after slipping the marker and then did the increase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Rowena Ravenclaw
Odri
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008 05:06:05 PM »

I'm almost done with the cables now! I didn't feel like posting a pic of my non blocked sweater so here are the obligatory artsy shots:

I am using Georga 100% wool in the colorway ''Green'' *pretty original name* that I got from Wal-Mart. It is very soft and shiny and I love it!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008 05:25:16 PM by Odri » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008 01:09:48 PM »

Gorgeous color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
tinybits

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008 07:53:59 AM »

ugh. .did anyone finished this babe? if so do you really think sewn bind-off is REALLY a must? i am more likely to opt for basic bind of in pattern.. please enlighten me..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Odri
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008 12:10:54 PM »

ugh. .did anyone finished this babe? if so do you really think sewn bind-off is REALLY a must? i am more likely to opt for basic bind of in pattern.. please enlighten me..

I just finished the sewn bind-off and it made the end of the sweater so stiff that when I tried to try it on, it didn't go past my shoulders. Anyway, I won't give up, I'll try to find a way to fix this. *Must be courageous*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sthrnsweetie
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008 03:22:42 PM »

I have finished completely and plan on posting pictures VERY soon!

do you really think sewn bind-off is REALLY a must? i am more likely to opt for basic bind of in pattern..

I used the sewn bind off, but I did it really loosesly.  As in, ridiculously loose.  But it turned out to be wonderful in the end, because I was able to block the skirt wider without stretching the bindoff at all.  I think the normal bind-off would be too tight for this purpose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Rowena Ravenclaw
tinybits

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008 12:12:10 AM »

i opted for basic bind off. i did it very loosely so it has a lot of strech.. now my problem is with this beaded bind offs! i cannot make them! i remember i made something similar when i knit up fetchings but then again i was improvising and now i seem to forgot how i did it that time.. ugh.. can anyone explain it to me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Derkhan
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008 01:34:02 PM »

I'm having some trouble with the picot edge along the necline. At the back and in the center front (where I've picked up in my cast on stitches) my otherwise nice edge just folds down towards the outside of the fabric. It's not too bad at the back where I used long tail cast on, but at the front, where I used cable cast on, it folds sharply along the original edge of the neckline.

Have I done something wrong, or is this the sort of thing blocking fixes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinybits

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008 11:21:30 PM »

I'm having some trouble with the picot edge along the necline. At the back and in the center front (where I've picked up in my cast on stitches) my otherwise nice edge just folds down towards the outside of the fabric. It's not too bad at the back where I used long tail cast on, but at the front, where I used cable cast on, it folds sharply along the original edge of the neckline.

it did the same thing with mine too. i already opted out for picot edge so i knit a few rows more...

Have I done something wrong, or is this the sort of thing blocking fixes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Personalize the Urban Grunge Template
How to Add a different background
How to Change the Color of a Digital Backdrop
How to Create a Sports Poster
How to Use Poster Pro Quick Kit 2 part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...