A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,981
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japan(ish) cheap as hell Christmas Tree decorations (Image heavy)  (Read 1848 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_card  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MahonAzul
« on: December 06, 2007 09:10:06 AM »

I live in a tiny apartment, have a tiny budget and don't believe in killing a tree for the purpose of Christmas. Buying a fake tree meant that I'd have to find a place to stash the tree in after the holidays... so I bought a tiny, live Norfolk Pine.

Now, the tiny tree can't hold your regular ornaments because it has gentle, soft branches that bend all the way down once adorned with anything. I tried some ornaments and the poor thing looked like Charlie Brown's tree. Good Grief!!!

Also, I'm kind of a anything Japan freak. Wanted to do origami but come on, paper cranes are so overdone. My solution?
Paper Kimonos!

I started out with this pattern that I saw online when I googled kimonos. I drew it on a piece of paper and then separated the pattern into individual pieces.

Next I took a stash of magazines and looked for colorful ads. I traced around my pattern.  Cut out the pieces and glued them to card stock.  Then I taped a stick behind the kimonos and wrapped wire around the stick to make it look like the kimonos were placed on hangers.

Here's a couple of them already made.

And here they are on my tree.

The tree would have look bare with just a few kimono. So I went to my local HELLmart and bought some silvery balls for a buck at the jewelry making section, a pack of jingle bells and some wire. The result after impaling said items with the wire:

And here is the tiny pine all decorated.  Cost for the whole project? Five bucks for decoration. Sixteen bucks for the pine which gets to stay alive and pretty-up my place for years to come (as long as I remember to water it!)

Thanks for looking!  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007 09:11:58 AM by MahonAzul - Reason: Darn Spelling! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vivcrafts
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007 09:16:37 AM »

You created such a beautiful little Xmas tree. I love how magical it looks lit up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007 09:21:55 AM »

what a great tree!!  i love the little 'floating' bells and bobbles.  what a great idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redfuzzy

Doesn't everyone have a sonic screwdriver?!?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007 10:59:02 AM »

So pretty. So magical!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap with you. PM me.
My Wists
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007 11:18:07 AM »

Oh! You're so clever! The first year my DH and I were married, we had the same kind of tree. It didn't make a good Christmas tree because of the reasons you mentioned. the ornaments were too heavy. It made a beautiful house plant (until Whitefly attacked it. boo hoo). Thanks for the memories.
Your tree looks beautiful, and my brother (who lives in Japan) would covet it if he saw it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sherryc
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007 12:21:44 PM »

The bells and balls are brilliant and I intend to steal the idea immediately! I will, of course, give you credit for the idea, but I am most certainly stealing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Marbled Lemon Tart
How to Make Leftover Candy Desserts
Pasta and Chocolate Pie Recipe
How to Make Homemade Marshmallow Fondant
How to Make Fresh Cherry Turnovers
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...