A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ear flap hat tutorial  (Read 81277 times)
Tags for this thread: ear_hat , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sarah1
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008 04:31:34 PM »

:)Thanks! Great pattern for a beginner like myself!!

Sarah Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must going to be a good day, I actually got off the bed!
BethyBess
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008 07:54:03 AM »

I just made this hat.  I absolutely love how it turned out.  I go through spurts of knitting and so I never get to be very good at it because when I decide to knit again I have to re-learn a lot of the stitches.  But after all of my trials and errors...and tearing it apart 3 times I finally got it done.  It was well worth it.  The instructions are very very easy to understand.  I will definately be making more of these!

Oh...I'd post a picture but I need to meet my 10 post requirement first. Smiley I'll be back. 

Thank you so much!

Bethany
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethyBess
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008 08:04:42 AM »

I was looking for an Ear Flap hat when I found your pattern.  I had to make it right preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'away...unfortunately') I didn't have any 16 inch circular needles.  I tried learning the magic loop with my 29 inch needles but it just wasn't working for me.   Sad  So....what else could I do but make my own needles.  It was actually pretty easy to make them out of dowels.  I don't think I'll ever buy a metal/plastic pair again!   Cheesy

So...here is my pink hat.  Pink just happens to be my favorite color and the brighter the better.  This hat was a breeze to make.  

Thank you so much!

Bethany
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natalex
Tutorial Contributor

Gotta find something to do up here in Alaska

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008 06:42:39 PM »

It looks great, Bethany! I love the color. This hat was my gateway pattern. It gave me the confidence I needed to accomplish more advanced projects. I'm glad you've found it useful.

-Natasha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VeesMom
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011 01:17:31 PM »

I just wanted to say thanks.  Just before Christmas I found this tutorial post and used it not only to knit my first hat but I also learned how to knit in the round to make this.  I had found patterns online but did not understand them as I had never followed a knitting pattern before.

My 10 yr old wanted one of these hats but we couldn't find the exact colors he wanted.  I borrowed some needles from my  mom, bought the colors he liked and .....a dozen or so hats later I am a confirmed hat knitting addict.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natalex
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011 09:56:29 PM »

I am happy you found this pattern useful, VeesMom. I'm glad I wrote it out when I was first learning to read patterns because it makes it easier to understand as a beginner. This was my starting point to everything I've ever knitted. I still use this pattern every time I make a hat -- even if I don't make ear flaps. The concept is the same, you just start by casting on 72 stitches and doing knit two, purl two for five or six rows.
I tried to compile photos of hats that I've made. It's good to take photos before giving them away. I wish I had because I can't always remember them. Check out all the different styles I came up with: http://knitnatak.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-classic-ear-flap-hat.html

And please post a photo of your hat. I'd love to see your version!

-Natasha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lakers0321

A scarf I made for my aunt.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013 05:47:44 AM »

Really nice ive been searching high and low for this thanks. Now the only problem is my double points and circulars are 8s. Will that be ok if not how do I adjust?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natalex
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013 10:45:25 PM »

Really nice ive been searching high and low for this thanks. Now the only problem is my double points and circulars are 8s. Will that be ok if not how do I adjust?

It might take a little tinkering, but it's totally doable. I would either use yarn that is meant for size 9 or 10 needles so the hat will be a bit bulkier or make the size larger in the pattern. Normally I use 72 stitches for my hats on size 9 or 10 needles. With size 8 I would probably use 80 stitches and if it's too big, give it to a guy and try again. That's why I love knitting hats. They don't take incredibly long to make so if it doesn't turn out right you can always make another.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Petite Women
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Athletic Women
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Flat-Chested Women
How to Shop for a Swimsuit
How to Choose a Tankini
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...