A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Cotton  (Read 605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darncat
« on: December 05, 2007 11:08:09 PM »

Hiya,
I am a new spinner and I was poking around Ebay when I saw this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=360002078091&Category=36601&_trksid=p3907.m29

I was wondering, can you really spin that? And about how hard to you think it would be? Plus what is the usual stable length of cotton?

Thanks All!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007 07:38:16 AM »

The staple length of cotton is incredibly short. It is very difficult to spin on its own unless you have a super high speed flyer or a charka wheel. I would probably want to spin a bit of cotton before I committed to 22 lbs of the stuff but the price is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
darncat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007 11:31:49 AM »

It is very difficult to spin on its own unless you have a super high speed flyer or a charka wheel.

I have an ashford trad, regular flyer. Would that work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feralfeminine
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007 01:03:43 PM »

I've spun cotton on an ashford traditional with the regular flyer. If you're a new spinner, make sure you have the patience to figure out cotton spinning before you buy 22 lbs - cotton can be very frustrating at first. I've known a lot of people that tried it and just gave up (including me, but thankfully I tried again). The staple length is, like Star217 said, incredibly short.

Also, cotton doesn't take acid dyes - so in order to dye it, you'd have to invest in fiber reactive dyes. Or just have a looot of white yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phaedra28
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007 03:10:59 PM »

I'm one of those who gave up after trying cotton.  I've tried it on a support spindle and on my wheel, and it's just a headache for me.  If you read the information about this cotton, you'll see that the staple length is between 1/4" and 1/2" -- even shorter than average.  (I think it said "not more than 40% of fibers less than 1/4" -- this is cotton lint, more than spinning cotton, unless you're already quite skilled with cotton.)

I think this is something I'd pass by for spinning.  If you quilt, though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darncat
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007 08:33:13 PM »

Thank you all!! I wanted to make sure before I committed to 22lbs.

I didn't notice the 1/4 inch part, Thank you for pointing that out, that might be a little short for me.

Thank you for the tip about dyeing cotton, another thing I didn't know.

Ya'll rock!! Thank you for your help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raynbow
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007 01:56:14 PM »

I bought about a pound of that stuff (probably from the same guy) about a year ago.   It was when I was first learning to spin, so of course I had no luck with it, but I really need to try it again, and see if it is spinnable.

When I tried it, I ended up with a very rough almost "papery" feeling yarn, that just fell apart all the time.  Mostly now I use it as stuffing for things.

I really need to try it again....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing a Red Squirrel
Tools of the Trade
Low Light Digital Photography
Simple Supplementary Lighting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...