A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,426
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Cotton  (Read 870 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 05, 2007 11:08:09 PM »

I am a new spinner and I was poking around Ebay when I saw this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=360002078091&Category=36601&_trksid=p3907.m29

I was wondering, can you really spin that? And about how hard to you think it would be? Plus what is the usual stable length of cotton?

Thanks All!!

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007 07:38:16 AM »

The staple length of cotton is incredibly short. It is very difficult to spin on its own unless you have a super high speed flyer or a charka wheel. I would probably want to spin a bit of cotton before I committed to 22 lbs of the stuff but the price is amazing.

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store

My Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007 11:31:49 AM »

It is very difficult to spin on its own unless you have a super high speed flyer or a charka wheel.

I have an ashford trad, regular flyer. Would that work?

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007 01:03:43 PM »

I've spun cotton on an ashford traditional with the regular flyer. If you're a new spinner, make sure you have the patience to figure out cotton spinning before you buy 22 lbs - cotton can be very frustrating at first. I've known a lot of people that tried it and just gave up (including me, but thankfully I tried again). The staple length is, like Star217 said, incredibly short.

Also, cotton doesn't take acid dyes - so in order to dye it, you'd have to invest in fiber reactive dyes. Or just have a looot of white yarn.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007 03:10:59 PM »

I'm one of those who gave up after trying cotton.  I've tried it on a support spindle and on my wheel, and it's just a headache for me.  If you read the information about this cotton, you'll see that the staple length is between 1/4" and 1/2" -- even shorter than average.  (I think it said "not more than 40% of fibers less than 1/4" -- this is cotton lint, more than spinning cotton, unless you're already quite skilled with cotton.)

I think this is something I'd pass by for spinning.  If you quilt, though...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007 08:33:13 PM »

Thank you all!! I wanted to make sure before I committed to 22lbs.

I didn't notice the 1/4 inch part, Thank you for pointing that out, that might be a little short for me.

Thank you for the tip about dyeing cotton, another thing I didn't know.

Ya'll rock!! Thank you for your help!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007 01:56:14 PM »

I bought about a pound of that stuff (probably from the same guy) about a year ago.   It was when I was first learning to spin, so of course I had no luck with it, but I really need to try it again, and see if it is spinnable.

When I tried it, I ended up with a very rough almost "papery" feeling yarn, that just fell apart all the time.  Mostly now I use it as stuffing for things.

I really need to try it again....

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...