A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute kitchen chairs  (Read 23797 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katbaggins
Knitting Knewbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008 07:09:13 PM »

I LOVE these! I inherited three chairs like these when I got my apartment, and I've always wanted to do something to them. I've never re-upholstered though - do you somehow take the chair bottom and back off the frame or do you attach the vinyl while it's still on the frame?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitting blog:
http://woolinsunshine.blogspot.com/
unicornsyeah
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008 06:02:58 PM »

i dig the color combo of orange and jade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
mom232
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008 05:09:00 PM »

Great redo!   I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twopennystar
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008 06:59:18 AM »

These look lovely, the colour combos are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maritza3
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008 09:30:30 AM »

i have 4 50's retro kitchen chairs & a table. table's in great shape but i have gotten estimates on the chairs to redo...$75 a chair (which is more than i paid for all of it!). where did you get the vinyl? was it hard? i assume you've done this before since u had the vinyl! thanks for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dot Parker
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008 11:12:53 PM »

It's really easy to do.  I hadn't done it before, but it was no problem to figure out.

1. take out any screws (most likely on the back of the post behind the chair back and under the seat.

2. remove old staples or tacks (dont bother saving the old tacks - the posts are probably bent now, seeing as you most likely had to use pliers to get them out and they won't go in straight anymore).

3. take off the old vinyl and replace the cotton stuffing (cheap) if you want. 

4. cut a piece of vinyl slightly bigger than you think you need.  This will give you something to pull on, and you can always cut off the excess.

5.  start in the middle of each side and work your way to the corners, stapling the vinyl in place on the bottom of the seat or the back of the chair.  This will all get covered up later.

6. STRETCH!!!!! the vinyl as you go.  this will make it nice and smooth.  Really give 'er.  If you feel like the vinyl is going to be under too much strain, add a couple more staples to even out the pressure.

7. when you get to the corners stretch it even more.  You can make pleats to take care of the excess fabric, but I actually pulled on mine enough that I didn't have to.  I haven't tried it, but I bet if you aimed a hot blow dryer at the vinyl for a few (30?) seconds it would succumb even more easily (but it might make it weak).

8. now this part takes a bit of finesse.  cut a piece of vinyl about the same size and shape as the back of the chair (we're going to cover up all the staples and stuff).  fold over the edge, about 1/2", all the way around.  tack the corners on with upholstery tacks.  give it a bit of stretch.  start by doing corners diagonal to each other (ie do the upper right hand corner first, then the bottom left, then the lower right and finally, the upper left)

9. put more tacks, about one every inch or so, around the rest of the perimeter of the backing piece.

10.  to finish the bottom, use a similar method, but using a piece of heavyweight card stock (staples will be fine here, you wouldn't see the tacks anyway).  no fold over is necessary either.

11.  screw the newly upholstered peices back onto the chair frame (tighten just to finger tight plus quarter turn) and enjoy!

If you have any questions, let me know!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Salon Tips: Holiday Hair Styles
How to Style Your Hair: Side Parting
How to Tie a Double Hair Knot
How to Style Your Hair Into Side Pinned Waves
How to Style Your Hair Into a Center Parting
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...