A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where are the good fabric stores?  (Read 7206 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ta2oodmama
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007 02:45:27 AM »

Kaimuki dry goods is fun. Mostly quilting "type" fabric i.e. 100% cottons,  but they have some fun apparel fabric as well.

I like going there just to look at all the patterns they have! wonderful selection

Kaimuki Dry Goods Limited
1144 10th Ave Ste 201
Honolulu, HI 96816
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ignorant people always talk the loudest.
puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007 10:24:34 AM »

Hi! I was never really into sewing but am now getting into it.  Ben Franklin seems to have a small selection but they have a remnant bin, and has locations in Kailua, Kapalama, Kaimuki, Pearl City, etc.  My mom swears by the Kaneohe Fabric Mart and when I was little I recall the Kuni Dry Goods Van would come and canvas the neighborhood, just like an ice cream truck lol!  My friend that takes hula swears by Kaimuki Dry goods - I just made a pau skirt for her from some purple Kaufmann fabric - nice weight.  Other than those I find my stuff on eBay or Craigslist, or I get them from swaps.  I'll be exploring more soon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Singing the Back to School Blues

Poppet vs Ami - Received, Sent
quixoticfish
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008 04:47:57 PM »

Fabric Mart on Kalakaua is good for cheap fabric. They seem to have remnants or seconds from aloha wear companies and left over old bolts from Jo Ann's Fabrics in the mainland. Be careful because not all the professional bolts are labeled with fabric content and you might get see-though poly blends of aloha fabric instead of cotton. Their notions are also not very complete and some look pretty bust up. Their remnant section upstairs is really cheap, but the fabrics are really dated and you have to really search for something good. They do have a huge amount of large denim remnants, but I swear they have been on that shelf for 15+ years. Patterns at my size are always sold out at Fabric Mart. They do have a cheap batik section upstairs.

If you don't mind Wal-Mart, they actually have some good things show up on the $2.50 a yard sale table, especially seasonal stuff. Be careful of fabric content. Sometimes it's labeled, sometimes its mystery fabric. They carry aloha prints and also Japanese prints for cheap too. I've found some really nice stuff, but you have to grab a lot of it when you see it because they usually only have one bolt and when it's gone, it's gone.

I like Kaimuki Dry Goods mentioned before. Most stuff is really expensive, but they carry the latest like Amy Butler prints and upholstery fabrics. Pretty much anything you want can be found there. Once or twice a year they will have a true remnant sale and you can get interesting things for cheap, but go early. The sales people actually sew and know what they're talking about. There are lots of notions and patterns.

I used to really like Kuni Dry Goods, which is now called Kuni Island Fabrics. It's still on King and Universityish, but it's a lot smaller now. It used to be big like Kaimuki Dry Goods when it was in the Kinkos space. But they still have neat fabrics, carry hard to find notions from Japan for things like Sachiko making, and some popular Japanese pattern books. They have classes upstairs.

I love to go to Calico Cat, which is in Kaimuki on Koko Head and Waialae across the street from Goodwill. The owner loves quilting and the store is small, but she sure packs at lot of things in. You have to search pretty hard but you will most likely find what you need, and stuff you didn't know you needed. They specialize in unusual, rare, and novelty cotton prints for quilting.  You'll find all kinds of strange notions for different crafts there too. The hours are weird though. They also have classes upstairs. I was surprised to find a lot of colorful wool fat quarters once.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The History of the Cosby Sweater
Behind the Book: We Are Not Ourselves
How to Write a Cookbook
America’s Mercenary Armies
Author Rick Perlstein Slams Plagiarism Accusation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...