A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some reconned dresses and cool SPIDEY shirt!  (Read 8559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LetterGhost
« on: December 04, 2007 10:29:11 PM »

Now that I'm getting the hang of the sewing machine, I can finally attack my hoard of thrift store clothes that I've stashed for the past few years! I wish I'd been smart enough to take before pics, but I've been too excited to get going.... plus not really wanting to take pics of myself in ugly, unflattering clothing, you know?

First up this dress--used to be a floor length shapeless sack about 10 sizes too big for me. But I loved the fabric, red paisley stretch knit, in fact I have wanted a red paisley dress for years! I cut the body and sleeves up to resize it, sewed the red cuffs to make the sleeves fit my long stick arms, and added the sash. (cuff and sash are simply the reverse side of the fabric.)

I've got extra fabric too, because it was so big! Grin
Close-up of pretty paisley:

This dress was reconned from a giant sweatshirt. The fabric is a stretch velour with a tiny houndstooth pattern. For the light gray fabric I used the reverse side. (the long-sleeved shirt underneath--also a thrift store find--is not part of the dress)

I think it's a little short (...do you?), but because I mucked up by making the waistband too wide at first (it looked weird), I don't have enough fabric left to add more at the bottom. I plan to add some kind of black or gray trim at when I find something suitable.

It was easy to see the potential for awesome when I found this dress, formerly a batwinged shapeless sack of a sweater dress. All I had to do was cut off the sleeves, sew up the sides, and hem it several inches shorter. And I love the cowl neck. (again, I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt underneath)

And I've saved the best for last. Little boy's long-sleeve shirt, too short for me (obviously  Grin) but oddly enough, too wide for me... I knew I had to wear it. So I sewed up the sides, cropped the sleeves in half, added the black fabric to make it fit me, and now I have this:

which I looove! And I had the Spider-man theme running through my head the whole time I was making this (the Moxy Fruvous version, if you happen to know it.) I kept singing it to the cats.

and I want to wear it everyday! I'm in such denial about my true age  Grin I also have a Batman and a Wolverine shirt to be reconned (I am just such a nerd.)

thanks for looking!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007 10:59:26 PM by LetterGhost » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007 11:23:55 PM »

I love the grey dress. THe neckline is awesome! And other random things to say, that I love your hair, and jeez you really do have long arms Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007 12:16:58 AM »

wow ... you are gorgeous. and your reconning skills are fabulous. and your hair is superb and makes me miss my fun colored hair. basically i love everything about this post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taz
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007 12:30:52 AM »

Wow.  You do really nice work.  They all look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007 12:32:11 AM »

I am in love with the paisley dress! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
teriyakimoto
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007 06:17:57 AM »

I would totally rock that Spiderman shirt.  Very inspiring.  Now I know what to do with that tiny Mario Bros. shirt I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perrywinkle
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007 08:35:32 AM »

really cool dresses, that spidey shirt is cool, one of my sisters is always stealing my little brothers clothes...she'd love that

awesome hair by the way  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cinnapaste
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007 09:42:31 AM »

I lovelovelove that spiderman shirt!
and I don't think the gray dress is too short really, but I guess I don't know how short it is in the back?
I wear my dresses kind of short (not skankily short though...) because i've got short legs.
On a completely (well, maybe not completely. someone else mentioned your arms being long...) random note. I think my arms might be almost as long as yours but it doesn't look quite as graceful on me since i'm really short XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.- Winston Churchill

http://www.wists.com/Amandagator
LetterGhost
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007 10:09:21 AM »

thank you so much for the nice comments!!! spirals420, you are too sweet... and haven't I seen you over in the hair thread? and yes, I really do have long arms, so I'm really excited about making my own tops and not having my wrists sticking out. Cinnapaste, I also like to wear some skirts kinda short (never short enough to flash anybody, besides I only wear short skirts with leggings) but I have long legs too... I'm too bony to do revealing low-cut tops of any kind, EVER, so I do like to show off the legs a little instead. Gotta work with what ya got  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007 10:11:12 AM »

those are all great ! i love the spidey shirt ! I have a few similar myself .. it looks really cute on you ! great work !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jackson Taylor Shares the Basis of His Novel: the Blue Orchard
Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners
Elizabeth Scott Discusses Her Young Adult Novel: Living Dead Girl
Heather Rogers on Her Book Green Gone Wrong
Author Sarah Rayne Reveals the Inspiration Behind House of the Lost
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...