A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first (simple) dresses from scratch!  (Read 5578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LetterGhost
« on: December 04, 2007 10:05:46 PM »

Well, I've been sewing for about a month and a half or so, and finally got up the guts to cut up some virgin fabric. Honestly, I really had to work up the nerve to do it, I was afraid I'd waste the material. As I have only a vague sense of my measurements, and I've been limiting myself to stretchy fabrics, I decided to just use another dress as a template. So nothing fancy, but I'm really happy with how these turned out... not only do they look like actual human clothing but they're even sort of pretty Cheesy :
(so as not to confuse you, I will point out that in photos I am wearing a long sleeve top and skirt under each dress. I love the layered look Grin)

Purple fabric with tiny stripes and purple plaid fabric! I only used a little bit of the plaid and I think I want to make a hoodie with the rest of it.
Close-up:

Not perfectly straight since I couldn't be bothered to measure while I was working, plus I suck at pinning, so I just eyeballed a lot of it.

And this gray dress was next;

It's hard to see, but there's a square panel sewn on the front that the buttons are on. I first tried to make the bottom part sort of gathered or pleated, but because of the texture of the fabric (it's like long-john material, I don't know what it is called) it was too poofy and made it look like a maternity dress. So it was a good learning experience anyway Smiley I had no idea sewing was so fun AND rewarding! I wish I'd started sewing years ago! I've a lot of catching up to do!

Next challenge: learn to read patterns!
Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
little*devil
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

protect me from what i want

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007 10:39:43 PM »

Holy crap!  You just started sewing and you made these!?!  That's awesome!  I love both of these but the second is my favorite.  I've sewn for years and these look incredible!  If you made these without a pattern, I wouldn't even bother learning to read them.  Incredible work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007 10:46:32 PM »

Oh wow, those are awesome! So cute too.

I just got my own sewing machine, and this gives me some hope lol!

Amazing work, hope to see more! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LetterGhost
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007 10:57:41 PM »

yay, you like them! Thank you, little*devil, you're so kind! I think one reason they turned out well is that I didn't get too ambitious with techniques or anything. I did make a lot of mistakes with that gray dress, like hemming the armholes when I had intended to add short sleeves (oh well, now i can wear it in the summer with T-shirts), plus the whole pleating/gathering at the waist that I tried to do---which worked out perfectly just wasn't form-flattering. I'm definitely finding it easiest to learn by doing.

Also, to be frank I think I have an advantage in being, uh, not too curvy... I'm not completely shapeless, but I am pretty flat. This has been source of disappointment for me for years but I'm seeing now that it does have some advantages. Seems to me it would be way harder to sew clothes if you have real woman-sized boobs.

aliceownsj00, can't wait to see your stuff!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007 10:58:29 PM by LetterGhost » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007 07:27:49 AM »

Word about the boobs thing.

You're doing amazing for your first from-scratch projects, holy crap. That purple dress is so well-designed and executed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007 10:08:31 AM »

[quote ] 

I had no idea sewing was so fun AND rewarding! I wish I'd started sewing years ago! I've a lot of catching up to do!

[/quote]

I feel the same way !  Smiley who new youd get such a feeling of accomplishment from making something from scratch ? ! but you really do !  Smiley

and on to the dresses .. I LOVE  them both .. the first if my fave even though Im not into purple most of the time .. it looks awesome ! and the plaid really adds such a cute detail I love it and I also adore your Hair ! its so pretty and the light purple of the first dress really compliments it ! the second one is really cute too .. keep up the awesome work !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MadameD
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007 11:19:47 PM »

I love those dresses!  That is so cute!  I feel you on the whole "pattern" thing.

Though, I also am one of those "word on the boob thing" people.  Trying to find a flattering fit for boobs is the suck. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my shop: www.madamedebarge.e tsy.com
colouronwhite
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007 06:07:35 AM »

coool!
i'ts really wonderful and nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahddubs
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007 04:00:54 PM »

very very nice, i especially loooove the first top. i cant wait to see more of your stuff in the future Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dressmaker+
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007 04:40:32 PM »

Great job! What do you need a pattern for? Wink

Dina
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography Tips: Using Fill Flash
Birthday and Other Events Photography Tips
Photography Supplies and Gear For Cold Weather Shoots
3 Rules for Better Underwater Photos
Unearthing The Work Of A Secret Nanny Photographer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...