A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Sweater Support Group  (Read 30252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elysium
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2005 02:26:54 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm about to take the plunge into first-sweater land so I thought I'd join on up.

First I have to say that I LOVE the sweaters you guys have pulled off so far. I've even been inspired by your fairly easy fair isle cardigans and have decided that's it's just the little number to help me to the other side.
I was going to do the unisex knock-around cashmere pullover from Weekend Knits, but I just wasn't sure if I'd like the FO. These things always look so nice on the model but you never know how it's going to end up on my rotund little belly. I can't decide whether the strip around the middle would be flattering or bulking.
So thenI notice the yarn I bought for the sweater is the same gauge as the cardigan, so why not?

Here's the yarn I got:

The blue is the base colour. The other colours I scrounged last minute after I decided the switch to the cardigan. The yarn is discontinued and was in the sale bin, so these were the only colours left. Any suggestions on how to arrange the colours in the cardigan? Is it possible to put a different yarn in (as long as it's similar gauge and fiber content?)

Tell me what you think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lothluin
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2005 04:05:54 PM »

So I haven't been knitting at all lately...been really busy.  So my To Dye For has been neglected for a while!  So far I have the pack piece done & all that is left on the front piece is the neck shaping (but oh how I dread it!) Then sleeves.  Really if I just get going again on this it should be finished in no time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aly_421
i <3 theatre, but not the DRAMA.

anyone home?? echO-O-O-O-o....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2005 04:55:23 PM »

well, i started my sweater last month sometime maybe...
i just finished the back a couple days ago..

here she is about 13 inches done.

oh, this is the pattern:
http://www.yarnfwd.com/bomber.html
i started it and realized the smallest size it had was HUGE [in fact, even after i modified it it's still big..good thing i like big sweaters]
and i also realized it was toooooooo plain, so i cabled.

tonight, i need to finish a cabled scarf on the needles i need. then i'll attempt to finish.
maybe i'll have a LOTR marathon and knit during it all.
 Wink

OH! and stringy, those colors are fab!! i can't wait to see your finished product
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

too many mutha ucka's, uckin with my shi
theres too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
how many mutha ucka's?
too many too count! mutha ucka.
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2005 03:03:37 PM »

tinkerbell.fairy

It's hard to answer how large the sweater will be when you cast on 196 stitches without knowing the weight of the yarn.  The size needles you're using would be helpful as well.  Also, are you knitting flat or in the round?

Are you worried that it will be too large or too small?  i think there was a lil typo in your previous post.

Ttyl!

atouria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2005 05:04:24 AM »

Hi everyone! I'm about to take the plunge into first-sweater land so I thought I'd join on up.

First I have to say that I LOVE the sweaters you guys have pulled off so far. I've even been inspired by your fairly easy fair isle cardigans and have decided that's it's just the little number to help me to the other side.
I was going to do the unisex knock-around cashmere pullover from Weekend Knits, but I just wasn't sure if I'd like the FO. These things always look so nice on the model but you never know how it's going to end up on my rotund little belly. I can't decide whether the strip around the middle would be flattering or bulking.
So thenI notice the yarn I bought for the sweater is the same gauge as the cardigan, so why not?

Here's the yarn I got:

The blue is the base colour. The other colours I scrounged last minute after I decided the switch to the cardigan. The yarn is discontinued and was in the sale bin, so these were the only colours left. Any suggestions on how to arrange the colours in the cardigan? Is it possible to put a different yarn in (as long as it's similar gauge and fiber content?)

Tell me what you think!

I think it will look very nice Smiley But did I read correctly that Patons Up Country is being discontinued!!?? That was the only bulky gauge wool yarn I could find around here that was affordable  Cry
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elysium
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2005 08:26:13 AM »

Yes it is discontinued. The skeins I got were the last in the store. I really hope I have enough. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringy
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2005 03:16:06 AM »

:: sigh ::

It feels like I've been working on my little jumper for years, even though it's only been 4 months. I had to stop for a while so I could track down a substitute yarn - I ran out of pink (mine is the little pink, white and green stripy jumper in pics earlier in the thread) while working on the second sleeve, and the place I'd gotten it from had closed down.

But then I found that Debbie Bliss 100% cotton had a colour that was a pretty good match. I ordered some online from www.thewoolshack.co m (fantastic, speedy service from there, by the way!).

It looks great, but you can see the colour difference, and the ply of the new yarn is a little bit thicker, I think. So I just used the new yarn for the ruffled cuff, since that's what eats up vast quantities of my yarn, and finished the sleeve using the original yarn. It looks pretty good, I reckon, even though you can tell the cuff is different.

So now I'm going to frog the first sleeve and re-make it the same way as the second one. There's enough of the second yarn, and I figure then it'll at least look like something done on purpose. Plus, the thicker yarn might come in handy for the cuffs, since that's the area that'll get the most wear and tear. If I have enough of the new yarn left I might use it for the neckband too.

Just thought I'd share with people who'd understand my frustration Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringy
« Reply #237 on: June 26, 2005 07:01:26 AM »

So, after my last post about finding a substitute yarn, I spent most of the last week madly knitting away, blocking, and finishing. Today it was finally done!

The neckband is a picot edging, and was the first time I've ever used double-pointed needles without giving up in a huff. The yarn is cotton, so it's washable, which is great for my sister who is very busy with two babies.

I'm very proud! My little neice loved it, and only took it off so she wouldn't get cake on it. Please ignore my glazed look in the second photo, I was so tired from having been out late last night and then getting up early to keep knitting before my neices' birthday party, where this photo was taken.

If anyone is finding it difficult to stay motivated with their sweaters, please don't give up - seeing it finally being worn is such a good feeling! If I can manage to get this done, then anyone can...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2005 09:11:41 AM »

Wow Stringy! I love the sleeves! It turned out so cute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2005 09:15:51 AM »

awww! that's adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Museum Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...