A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Sweater Support Group  (Read 31920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tere
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2005 04:34:54 PM »

First Sweater progress report:
My Purple Haze, from Knit Wit, now has a complete back. Damn, its encouraging  Cool
I did have to alter it a bit. I measured out 17", which is how wide the back should be at the waist, and this seemed too big, so I cut down the number of stitches. I hope I didn't overcompensate.
Since I substituted the ribbing with purling, my first attempt lead to a back that was about 30" at the bottom. Then  I realized that since ribbing squishes up (after I'd tried again with fewer stitches) and purling doesn't, I had a bell-ish bottom. At first I was annoyed at having to start again, but then I decided to keep it. I'll post pics soon!
Good luck guys!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heavenlyginger
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2005 10:23:17 AM »

JennG, what a beautiful sweater! Where did you find it?
My sweater is going on, however, is completely different from my original post. I'm doing it from the bottom up, in the round. I've made a ten row seed stitch border and now am doing stocking stitch. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I have it knit up to the arm pits - I figure that I'm going to knit it onto two sets of needles (one for front, one for back) and increase and decrease that way, then attach the sleeves (done in a different colour). Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2005 11:41:56 AM »

Sounds like you got it all figured out, Heavenly  Smiley About your sleeves: I came across a sweater pattern where stitches were picked up from around the shoulder/ armhole area and then the sleeve was knit in the round from there. That sounds pretty clever to me. Have you thought about doing this?
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2005 02:01:11 PM »

This is somewhat of a belated post.

I finished my sweater the other day. I posted the pic on the Tempting Knitalong since that is what I did. I am pretty excited about it. The sweater wears a lot better than the pic shows. For some reason I had this ugly shadowing that made it look like it was bulging in bad places. It wasn't. Either way, I finished it and I am tickled pink about it and now I am onto my next project, the Hug Shrug. I am currently about 6 inches into it.

I would like to thank everyone here for the moral support, its nice to have nice people to refer to when one is stuck or has a question.

Luck to everyone else doing their first sweater and don't forget to post pics when  you finish. Cheesy

Link to my sweater pic:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19083.msg185388#msg185388
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Tere
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2005 02:13:29 PM »

This is somewhat of a belated post.

I finished my sweater the other day. I posted the pic on the Tempting Knitalong since that is what I did. I am pretty excited about it. The sweater wears a lot better than the pic shows. For some reason I had this ugly shadowing that made it look like it was bulging in bad places. It wasn't. Either way, I finished it and I am tickled pink about it and now I am onto my next project, the Hug Shrug. I am currently about 6 inches into it.

I would like to thank everyone here for the moral support, its nice to have nice people to refer to when one is stuck or has a question.

Luck to everyone else doing their first sweater and don't forget to post pics when  you finish. Cheesy

Link to my sweater pic:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19083.msg185388#msg185388
I hadn't seen this, so i'm glad you posted the link here--looks fantastic! And you look so nice in it. its a nice feminine sweater, and actually, I think it looks better on you than it would on me--i'm a boobless little shrimp and this sweater would just hang on me. So size 3 is definately not always better.  But that aside, congratulations on the weight loss  Smiley
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2005 05:20:35 PM »

OMG it looks GREAT! nice encouragement to get mine done, you know? awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2005 06:13:49 PM »

I adore those colors on you Irish!!  Your sweater looks beautiful on!  Awesome job!

I'm almost done with the scarf that's kept me from my sweater, but if you want to see my stash and the progress so far on it, click here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22872.0

I don't want to bog down craftster with double photo posts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2005 02:17:29 PM »

Ok, this is what I've got so far: Here's the back

Part of the front, right side

A close up

And the star of the show, couldn't do it without her, my ball of yarn!

Ha ha, thanks Tongue
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anibunny
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2005 02:37:53 PM »

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while.  I felt a little bit of a cheat since I did make my first sweater last spring.  However, it didn't come out quite the way I had hoped.  It was the To Dye For sweater in SNB and the sleeves, even though I had cut out a few rows and didn't add as many stitches for the bell sleeves, they were crazy huge.  I tried to shrink it up a bit (uhh, yeah, right) and now it looks like a Britney Spears tummy show with the same long huge sleeves!  I was hoping to try the Fair Isle in SNBNation but I decided since this was an easy sweater to follow, I'd try it again with new yarn.  I've cast on and have about 5 rows for the back so far.

Jessy, if you have any questions about this sweater, I might be able to help!  I could always post the photo of the 1st sweater to show you how not to do it~ Tongue

Ani

THIS ROCKS   Logged
karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2005 04:25:20 PM »

Tere,

I absolutely love that color, what yarn is it? Normally I am not into such a..bright green but that looks adorable.

Keep up the good work, it looks fab so far.

Oooh, I feel so eighty'ish.... fab.... hehe.

anibunny

We love the company so luck with your new sweater and we will call it the first and your first sweater project really just a halfshirt or something, lol. Anyway, good luck. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sue and April at the Carnival Photo Booth
Portrait Session Outdoors with off Camera Flash
Photography Workshop with Tamron in Austin, Texas
How to Photograph Moving Objects
Macro Flash Photography Seminar at B&H
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...