A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Sweater Support Group  (Read 30978 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tere
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2005 11:57:02 AM »

Horse Power, what sweater did you say you were diving into? And what yarn did you say you got (those pooffy sound like a pain)? Keep up the good work!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2005 01:43:03 PM »

Tere, I'm trying Knitty's Sonnet:  http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTsonnet.html
I'm doing the plain garter stitch version and so far have been able to follow the directions fine. Although the last part is the buttonhole part which I've never done before either but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...  Cheesy

The yarn is  'Red Heart Grande'  Lt Thyme color. It's labeled as 'super bulky' and also says 'New'. I've been knitting with it this afternoon with no problems in the yarn so far so maybe it was just that first skein that was weird. I hope so.  It was only $2.49 a skein.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005 01:45:15 PM by Horse Power » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2005 06:08:07 PM »

I started my sweater a month ago and I just got the back done tonight. I'm making up my pattern, kinda wierd for my first sweater. but I cant afford any new needles or yarn. so I have size 8 needles and some sad acrylic yarn($1.77/skein @ wal-mart) and it's only going to take me 3 skein of yarn at the most from what I've calculated. It's plain garter stitch all the way through. boring but mindless. help me decide what kind of sleeves to make! I have SnB and I don't know if I should copy some sleeves from there or make my own. The back has a low neck that's squared off, and the front is going to be squared too. good luck to everyone else! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2005 06:33:02 PM »

jm2luver21

You have more guts than me Smiley I think sticking to a simple pattern is the way to go with my sweater making, at least till I get more experienced and using 'cheap' yarn isn't a bad thing. Heck, I crocheted for years on simple ole Red Heart acrylic for ... oh.... almost 15 years before I started knitting and realized a whole new world of yarns and blends and prices...oi ...the prices.

Anyway, your sweater, my vote is for some cute cap sleeves to go with the boxy neck line. If it were me I would crochet a cute scallop border on the sleeves and mabye the neckline and then rib the waist, or make it a tunic style with the side splits. However, if it were a tunic style, cap sleeves would look odd. Either way, I am a fan of cap sleeves, can you tell? lol

Progress on my Tempting sweater, I am using wool ease (I live up north, everything we wear is wool) and doing it in two colors, 4 six inch stripes in blush heather and rose heather, if i recall correctly.  So far I have about 10 inches done. It is going along nicely but the constant k2p2 gets old so I have to switch to other projects off and on to prevent burnout. I *really* want to finish this sweater because it is gorgeous. It would probably help if I were a faster knitter. That comes with experience,  I am guessing, or hoping. Smiley

I hope everyone is doing well with their sweaters and  I cannot wait to see all the completed projects.  Grin

Progress so far:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005 07:29:43 PM »

Great choice of yarn irishwitch.. I love those colors!  It's looking great ~ keep it up!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2005 05:15:55 PM »

I did think about a scalloped neckline. What do cap sleeves look like? I guess when I sew it together, I will leave a little unsewn at the bottom, unless it's small and looks dumb. If it does, then I'm making some rib at the bottom with bottonholes every few inches and weaving a thick purple-pink ribbon in the holes. I have to get started on the front now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2005 06:18:07 PM »

raglan sleeves are pretty easy to do and not require too many calculations.

im doing mine from the bottom up, and just finished the main part of the boday up to the armpits. woo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
abinka
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005 05:18:55 AM »

I'm going to join this one too. I have my yarn, a lime green color that was being discontinued, and I should get my Yarn Girls Guide this week so I can pick which pattern I want. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringy
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2005 06:48:12 AM »

I'd like to join the First Sweaters Club too!

I've just bought some cotton from www.ozyarn.com.au for a girls' jumper from Creative Knitting magazine - the pattern is called Summer Play, I'm not sure what issue it was in because I got the pattern from their 2004 annual.

It's a drop-shoulder jumper with a ruffled edge, and I'm making it with pink, green and white stripes. It's supposed to be a light, cover-up sort of thing, which I thought was a good idea since winters here in Oz aren't really that cold. It's got a few wrap & turn thingos in it, which I've never tried before.

It's going to be for my 2 year old neice - I wanted to make a small jumper first to get the hang of it (and so that it'd actually be finished before she's old enough to drive), but if all goes well I'm going to do the Manly Sweater from SnB next for my boyfriend (I say "bah!" to the curse) and then something fancy for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2005 07:28:28 AM »

I decided to do the hourglass sweater from last minute knitted gifts, instead of the kyoto.  I place an order with elann's for my yarn 2 nights ago.  As soon as it comes in, I'll be in a knitting frenzy!  I'm not sure how long it takes to come in from canada to louisiana, but I guess I'll find out.  I got highland wool in orange brandy.  I wanted something close to the color of the one in the book.  I can't wait!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Silk Flower Swag
VX Method QuikTip Video #1
How to dance Disco
Introduction to Fresh Flower Foam
How to Beatbox: Cow Bell
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...