A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Sweater Support Group  (Read 30903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JessLeigh
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2005 12:05:45 PM »

hey!
i finally got my yarn and finished all the other little projects I was working on in the meantime, so now I'm ready to devote myself completely to my first sweater.  I'm starting the Fair Isle Cardigan from SNBN.  Right now I'm just knitting the back and front sides, so it's all black, no fun yet.  but I will check back when I get to the scary fair isle parts.  thanks guys!  everyone's projects look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flannigan
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2005 12:29:29 PM »

I just ordered my yarn from eBay for the Skully SnB sweater, going to start it as soon as it arrives. I can't wait! I tried to do a sweater before, in September I believe, but the front is still sitting on the needles with only about 2 inches done, heh. St st gets a bit boring after awhile. Hopefully with the help of you all I'll finish this time! Will post again when I start, still waiting for the yarn to arrive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abinka
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2005 12:35:54 PM »

Update: 1 sleeve done! (They're short sleeves so it's not that remarkable, but still). My confusion with the DPNs was that I didn't know you had one free needle all the time. Makes a lot more sense now. Since I'm snowed in I hope to finish the second sleeve and start the yoke today Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_rabbette
read my blog, damnit!

fat-bottom girls...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2005 11:35:09 PM »

YEAH!!!  I had to share my glory somewhere.  I finished the back of my sweater and it looks great!!!!  I'm so excited to start the front.  I hope everyone else is doing well...

PEACE

Jessy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abinka
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2005 03:18:21 AM »

So...close.... I have the body done, both sleeves, and joined them together and started on the yoke. I'm probably about 2-3 inches into the yoke, which needs to be about 5" before the eyelet holes and 5 rows after. But now there are so many stitches on the needles it's taking FOREVER. I will not rest until it's all done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2005 01:34:44 PM »

I am so f***ing PO'ed!!!! i ran out of yarn and i only have anout 3" left on one sleeve THAT'S IT!!!!!! GRRRR. i guess i have to go buy another skein sometime. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Roe
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2005 09:29:04 PM »

Hi guys and gals,

I just happended to see this post and thought I'd join in. I just started my first sweater a couple days ago. I am doing the flower cardigan in Knit.1 magazine. Here's a link to a picture of it http://www.knit1mag.com/letter/letter.html

I'm using woolease from Lion Brand, grass is the color. I'm a little concerned because it says to use two different size needles for it. The smaller one, size 9 is for the ribbed edging and they give you the guage for the larger ones, size 10. So I found out that I can get guage using a 10 1/2 and started knitting the rib edging for the back using 9 not thinking to change those too.  I'm about 8" into it. Do you think it will make much of a difference or should I rip it out? I really don't want it to bunch up too much, I don't like sweaters that do that. Ugggh! What to do!

Help! -- Roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2005 04:57:58 AM »

Just to clarify, Roe: you've started knitting the ribbed edge of the back with size 9 needles, and you will be doing the rest of the back with size 10 1/2?
I think that if your size 10 1/2 needles give you the correct gauge you will have the same effect that you would have had with your size 10 needles and your cuffs won't be any tighter in relation to the rest of the sweater.
 But if you don't like edges that come in at all, I'd either use your size 10 1/2 but decrease when you go on to the rest of the back, or keep using the size 9 needles and adjust in the other direction.  This might make it a tad bit smaller though  Undecided
The cardigan i'm working on now works this way, where after I do the ribbed edge, I decrease so that the rest of the piece is "flush" with the edge.
Hope that wasn't too confusing!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2005 09:28:06 AM »

IrishWitch, your sweater turned out so beautiful!  Smiley

I've got the main body piece on mine done and one sleeve. The sleeve took a week so I've still got a way to go, plus I'm going to add some kind of fringe to hide all the zillion places I had to start a new piece of yarn. Oh, and I need some buttons. I did make a little rose and a pair of leaves for the collar which turned out cute.

This is turning out like more of a coat than a sweater, but I am liking it. Before I stitch it all together I think I will trace the pieces onto paper so I will have a template... that way if it turns out to be too small (I suspect the sleeves may be a little snug) I will know where to make changes for the next sweater.  I think I will use this pattern again someday, but with a better quality of yarn and slightly smaller needles.  Tongue

It's been nice to have had company while working on this - I haven't been able to post for awhile, but it has kept me motivated just knowing other people were out there knitting on their first sweaters, too. It has been a lot of knitting but lots of fun!   Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roe
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2005 10:04:58 AM »

Just to clarify, Roe: you've started knitting the ribbed edge of the back with size 9 needles, and you will be doing the rest of the back with size 10 1/2?
I think that if your size 10 1/2 needles give you the correct gauge you will have the same effect that you would have had with your size 10 needles and your cuffs won't be any tighter in relation to the rest of the sweater.
 But if you don't like edges that come in at all, I'd either use your size 10 1/2 but decrease when you go on to the rest of the back, or keep using the size 9 needles and adjust in the other direction.  This might make it a tad bit smaller though  Undecided

Tere- Sorry to be so confusing. I have already knitted  2 1/4" using size 9 in the ribbed edge and continued with the rest of the back in size 10 1/2 needles in St st. So my question is will it be worth it to tear it out so it's not too bunchy around the bottom or will it not be all that noticeable? The pattern calls for size 9 for the ribbed edge and size 10 for the St st and only gives a guage in the 10 needles so I didn't think to change my nines to a bigger size when I discovered that I got guage using the 10 1/2 needles. Does this make sense? The pattern also says to increase every 10th row three times so it seems like the back is growing and the edge is shrinking.

Oh I am so confused, maybe it's not my time to start a sweater Huh

thanks for any more help you can give me on this. I really want to be able to wear my first sweater! I'm thinking maybe i should just tear it out, but would that mean I would go to a size 10 for the ribbed edging since there isn't a size 9 1/2 needle?

so confused,
Roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chinese Condiment, Raw Sauces, Seasoning, and Recipe
Chinese Food FAQ
How to Make a Chinese Food Meal Plan
Common Chinese Food Raw Sauces and Ingredients
How to Cut Chicken Meat into Strips and Triangle Shapes
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...