A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Sweater Support Group  (Read 33229 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2005 08:38:07 AM »

I got my stash in yesterday!   Cheesy  I'm so excited!  I'm going to do the hourglass sweater from last minute knitted gifts.  I just got finished typing out the complete pattern with corrections from the errata in my size only.  Now I have less numbers to get confused over and I'm ready to get started.  Off to try to get gauge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Julia Thorne
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2005 11:25:20 AM »

I just started my first sweater on Dec. 26th as well!  I'm making the fair isle cardigan from SnB.  So far.. it has been difficult to figure out exactly what size to make, which has caused me to do a bit of ripping out and starting over.  Its coming along though, I have 1 sleeve and the body done.. What I have left is finishing the 2nd sleeve and joining the body and sleeves and knitting the shoulders.  The fair isle parts on the sleeves look pretty, so I think it'll turn out nicely (as long as it fits!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2005 01:24:54 PM »

Other technical question:  I have the Debbie Bliss how to knit book, and in her sweater patterns I notice she uses smaller sized needles for starting the hem, and then switching to bigger needles for the majority of the piece.

This looks very nice and I did notice on many of my store bought knit items, they also have this tighter stitch hemline.

Given how tight the cast-on usually is, should I cast on more than the required number of stitches to give more ease, and then decrease once I switch to larger needles?  Maybe use a looser cast on method (I only do the long-tail...)?

thanks,

when you are casting on, hold two needles that are the same size together and cast on onto those. It will make the cast on much looser.  Same goes for binding off- using a knitting needle a size larger will make sure you have the stretch in the bound of edge.

I have used smaller knittign needles for the ribbing on a couple objects (inclduing a baby sweater im knitting now...long story), but for my current sweater i didnt because im having the hem sit right at the waistline of my pants so i fugred it wouldnt matter too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
ibmomof2
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2005 04:12:54 PM »

I'll join you all. I am going to start the ribby cardi as soon as my yarn gets here. I am using Cascade 220, all Chocolate.  It better hurry up, I am ready to start yesterday!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2005 04:19:51 PM »

Update on my sweater.

Knit
     Knit
          Knit

I am feeling so slow. I am making the main body 18 inches (so each stripe is 6 inches wide, which in retrospect I am hoping beyond hope that one of the stripe edges doesn't go across the high point of my breasts, that would be bad) and I am an inch from starting on the armholes. I am anxious to get that far, because it means that I am 3/4ths of the way to being done. It is getting terribly boring doing the ribbing, which means I am right here posting a silly update post instead of watching the tele while my soup bubbles on the stove and my needles are busy in my hands.

I neeeeeeeed motivation.  Cheesy

I love some of the completed projects I have seen lately both here and in the Tempting Knitalong. Lovely sweaters.Keep up the good work everyone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2005 03:52:19 PM »

The cable pattern on my sweater (and yes it is a scan.  me and my camera are not cooperating with the computer today)

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/61/1051/640/sweater%20detail.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
clrand
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2005 11:34:37 AM »

Okay, I'm in.  I'm knitting the wrap around sweater (Cosmopolitan) from Jo Sharp.  Elann had a great deal on the Kid Mohair.  I actually cast on at the end of October (yikes) and haven't knit a stitch on it since.  Now, while I can convince myself that it's because I was oh so busy knitting christmas presents, the truth is closer to me being a big freaking scaredy-cat.  Cry

So, I'm relying on all of you for love and support (i.e. a good strong kick to my ass).

Collette
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2005 12:55:29 PM »

I am on my first sweater, and all of sudden, I seem to have started 2.  The goal to minimize my fear of the unknown led me to choose the Little Black Top from SnB since it had no sleeves...and the 2nd sweater is Tempting, which has no shaping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2005 02:01:20 PM »

Count me in too! I (finally) decided to do the Purple Haze cardigan from Knit Wit, with a couple alterations. I decided on this one partly because I was able to find affordable yarn that would work for it, but I'm also quite excited because I love cardigans  Cheesy
Lets hear it for the First Sweater Girls...Woo HOO! (I'm corny in person, too)
Tere Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2005 03:25:54 PM »

Tere, I'm so glad you are doing the Purple Haze Cardi!  I really want to do a cardigan next, and I think that may be my next big project.  Are you using the suggested yarn for it?  What changes are you making?

I'm about 8" into my first sleeve on the hourglass sweater.  Technically, it says to start the body first, but I wanted to do the sleeve to check my gauge.  My gauge is ranges from .25 - 1 stitch off.  I think it will be fine though.  It seemed to have a bit much on the ease anyhow.  I'm lazy with posting photos, but maybe I'll get some up this weekend.  I'm using highland wool from elann. 

Colletete, Welcome to craftster! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Sound-Off: Lea Michele, Naya Rivera, and Selena Gomez
Dress Chic and Demure Like Olivia Palmero
10 Ways to Look Slimmer Instantly
How to Wear Sheer This Fall
One Maxi Dress Styled 10 Ways
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...