A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Sweater Support Group  (Read 32269 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

klutz 91
« on: December 31, 2004 02:58:01 AM »

There are a few craftsters who need support and courage to start their first sweaters.  Check it out: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=20727.0.  Since I know I'll need the push to get through it, I thought I'd be the first to post.

I'm still deciding which sweater I want to do.  Under the hoodie from SNB, the fair isle from SNBN, or the ribby cardi from ChicKnits are in the running.  I've just ordered a buttload of yarn from Elann, and it was a buttload of fun.

So....care to join us???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004 05:19:05 AM »

Hi, I'm thinking either that ballerina wrap Elisha wants to do a knitalong for, or a cardigan from Knit Wit (purple haze). Also, I'd like to do the shrug from magknits. Yeah, it does sound like buttloads  Cheesy
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004 10:59:43 AM »

What great timing! I just bought the yarn for this at the craft store earlier this morning ~  'Red Heart Grande' ~ Color: Lt Thyme. Got some size 11 needles too since the yarn is so big.

Going to try Knitty's Sonnet for my first ever sweater:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTsonnet.html

I will be casting on soon! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004 02:18:04 PM »

While not my first seater ill come along and join in or my current sweater will languish by the wayside for mnths at a time.

Im using cascade 220 for mine cause it reasonably cheap- need to get more though.  I realized (after i bought 2 skeins) that the color would make a much cooler seater then it would a felted bag.  WOO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
JessLeigh
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004 05:15:21 PM »

I've been knitting for a year and I think I'm finally ready to knit my first sweater.  I really want to try the fair isle from SNBN, which I just got for christmas.  I haven't bought yarn yet, but hopefully I'll get to the craft store sometime next week.  So I think I'm gonna need some help because I haven't done any intarsia or fair isle at all, and I'm a little intimidated by it. 

Yay for sweaters!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quincy134
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005 08:02:23 AM »

I was really intimidated by my first sweater.  I had been knitting for years, but I had never tried anything big.  I was so afraid of seeing what the sweater would look like, that I refused to finish the last sleeve for two years.  I finally sucked it up this past summer, and it actually came out wearable!  So trust yourself and go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005 09:34:10 AM »

I'd love to join in! 

Tere, the magknits shrug is a good idea.  Less intimidation and you get the basic techniques.

What I really want to do is Knitty's kyoto based on the pattern in knit-wit!!  I think I can do it.  I know all the stitches for it, I'm just nervous about the seaming and cotton yarn.  Would this be ok in a wool? 

Are any of you ordering your yarn online?  I don't have a LYS and I'm trying to find good deals on yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005 09:47:21 AM »

Atouria,
I've heard lots of good things about the Kyoto sweater, in regards to how well it works up. Apparently its not too hard on the head, just a bit tedious. I would consider this one too, since I have the book. Are you concerned about cotton because it doesn't have as much give? I've knitted with cotton and I loved it, since it felt so nice, and I had no problems with give. Actually I found it easier to be consistent with my stitches because of this. But I don't see why you couldn't use wool though. I think there might be a Knit Wit site onlie where there is forum. I'm going to check it out and see if there's Kyoto info  Smiley What is your impression of Purple haze, by the way?
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005 10:54:27 AM »

I, too, am ready for my first sweater. I'm trying to decide between Under the Hodie, the SNB cardigan or some other patterns I have. Yes, I'm indecisive because I want to LOVE it and ADORE it and I want it to be perfectly wearable.  Any suggestions (other than lowering my expectations)?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005 10:59:55 AM by staralee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005 01:27:22 PM »

Tere, 
The give in cotton is exactly what I was worried about.  I've never knitted with cotton before, and wasn't sure how snuggly my kyoto would be.  I'll give it a try though.  I don't want to mess up before I start by substituting wrong the wrong weight yarn.  I think I'm going to try to find the brown tahki instead of green.  I love brown and pink on me.  I'm looking for a place to order it from right now. 

I think purple haze is awesome.  It looks like a nice simple cardi to start with.  I'm guessing it has the difficulty at 4 because you have to hold the two strands together throughout.  The 1x1 rib may be kind of a pain with 2 strands at first, but I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly.  Plus, the back is just stockinette, no biggie there.  I like the shaping on it ~ very girlie. Smiley  That cardi will be so comfy and soft with the Rowan.  I don't envy the yarn costs though.

I need to go look at the knitty forum as well.  I was concerned about the way it was folded right over left in the photo, but it looks like the front pieces are symmetrical and I can fold it left over right.

Staralee, don't lower your expectations!  Learn what you need to do and get to work!  If you love it and adore it, I'm sure you'll have the patience to tackle it, no matter what!

Atouria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get an ISBN
Actress Kara Hayward Reads an Excerpt from The Blessed
Discovering Abigail May Alcott with Eve LaPlante
How to Write a Short Story
How to Write Rhyme
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...