A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Focus Group Questions for Starting a New Business  (Read 520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atinynap
« on: December 04, 2007 08:01:40 AM »

I have so many ideas floating around my head for a possible crafty business. At the beginning of the year I'd like to get some people online to be a focus group for me, so that I can kind of get a better impression of how I should gear my business.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good questions to ask in a focus group setting like this?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007 09:17:44 AM »

Focus groups are over-rated. Without knowing anything about you other than you may be...crafty...it's hard to figure out where to start answering a question.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atinynap
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007 05:31:23 PM »

I don't think focus groups are overrated. I'm going to be trying to see if people would be willing to purchase my crocheted items/greeting cards or if they would prefer to buy items like that from a store. What kind of price range they would pay for handmade goods. Would they be more likely to purchase handmade items online or in a store. I could, of course, assume answers to these questions but I don't think that's the best idea. I won't base my whole store solely on these answers, but I'm hoping they will help me to focus.

And I was just hoping the wonderful Craftsters who already have started into crafty businesses could give me some insight into questions they think could help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007 10:20:28 AM »

A focus group is too small to represent the population of your target audience, generally speaking. Particularly if you're known (myspace friends? forum members?), are conducting the group yourself, or if the participants know you'll read/hear their responses, even if they can remain anonymous, the quality of the data isn't very good.

But, if you're going to go ahead anyway, you want to keep your questions to a minimum so people don't lose...focus. Also, along with where they might buy something and for how much, you want to back up that information by asking them afterwards how often they did in fact buy something handmade in the past year and where they bought it (online vs. store).

I would also include a question about their perceived style. Classic, modern, goth, country etc, or something that can give you perspective outside the actual product talk.

I personally think that crochet and greeting card/stationery customers aren't necessarily the same audience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Salmon Crunch Roll
How to Eat Sushi with Chopsticks
How to Make a Tamagoyaki Omelet
Off the Shelf: Bok Choy
How to Make a Rainbow Roll
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...