A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Working cables IN entrelac  (Read 803 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sassy-pants
« on: December 03, 2007 05:52:05 PM »

I was reading about entrelac today at work (I know!  Bad employee...) and read somewhere about putting cables in the panels.  I've googled and searched this forum but I can't find anything on it.  Does anyone know how to put a cable into the panels or am I going to have to test and figure it out?

I'll fiddle with it if no one knows and put up a tute when I figure it out.

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
redwitch
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007 10:17:59 PM »

I'd guess pretty much the same as doing cables in a little square knit flat, that's what entrelac is just with a bit of joining the square to other squares as you knit. Do swatch first as if you keep it in stocking stitch the cable will be less apparent and you might not like it as much as you anticipate - and I think standard cables (basically ribbing) might affect the tension a bit too much for entrelac (if you want stocking on a reverse stocking background, maybe go up a needle size for the cabled squares, or pick up more stitches).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007 09:32:44 AM »

I've seen entrelac done in ribbing, so it can be done. Especially with cables you'd have at least 4 knits for the cable, and purls on either side. Give it a go, what do have to lose.... you'll learn something in the process any way.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007 07:53:27 PM by soozeq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
redwitch
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007 04:18:41 PM »

The cables *could* be knit on knit background if you wanted, either because the ribbing was distorting the fabric more than you wanted or because you wanted a really subtle effect. But yeah, swatch just a few squares and see how you like them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
greyshadeofblack
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007 10:04:38 PM »

I know this is somewhat unrelated, but check out The Forest Path Stole. It has lace panel inserts in each square of entrelac.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007 06:48:36 AM »

If you make a swatch, I'd love to see it... I've never thought of cables + entrelac, I bet it looks freaking awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
sassy-pants
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007 12:46:11 PM »

Wow, thanks for all of the replies!  I guess I'll be fiddling with that over winter break Smiley

The Forest Path Stole is gorgeous...I'm going to buy the pattern, maybe it'll help me crack the cabled entrelac code.  That, and I want one!

I'll keep everyone posted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bead Jewelry
How to Make Bead Bracelets
All About Beads
Diamond Buying Guide
How Diamonds are Graded
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...