A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adorable Plaid Wallet (Tutorial added!!)  (Read 44710 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Underhill940

Gilmore Girls, Coffee, and Crafting..life is good.

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2007 05:46:21 PM »

Hey guys! I just made this wallet so I wanted to put up some pictures of it. I tried to take enough pictures to make a tutorial, but I got a little lazy towards to end. If I get enough requests then I'll try to draw up some illustrations for the last few steps and post a tutorial soon. let me know!

Now for the Moment You've All Been Waiting for!!

Okay here it is; the tutorial for this wallet. All I ask in return for using my pattern is some gratitude. If you use this pattern and decide to post pictures of it please link to me. Thanks!

This is the first tutorial Ive written so I tried to make it really clear. Sorry if Im breaking it down to such a level that it seems patronizing lol. If you guys have any questions or if I say anything confusing, just let me know and I'll explain it better and fix the problem for you. Have fun!

Materials You Will Need w/ Abbreviations:
(MF) Main fabric (for outside, back snap change purse, and cute details) mine is the plaid
(CF) Contrasting fabric (for pockets, outer snap strap, dollar pocket, and outside details)
One magnetic snap
One regular small snap
Medium weight fusible interfacing

Pieces to Cut
One 11x13 inch pieces of MF
Two 5x 9 1/2 piece of MF
One 3 1/2 x 3 1/4 inch piece of MF
Twelve (12) 3 1/2x3 1/4 inch pieces of CF
Six 3x4 1/2 pieces of CF
Two 5x10 pieces of CF
Two 3x7 pieces of CF
One 11x13 inch piece of interfacing

1. Once you have all your materials gathered and pieces cut out, Take your 11x13 inch pieces and attach the interfacing to MF. hem the two long edges (pic1). Now you should only have rough edges on the short ends.

Pic1

Folded in half your piece should be around this size (pic2)

Pic2

2. Next, take your 12 CF pieces and match them up in pairs of 2 with right sides together. Now you should have 6 pieces of the fabric all with right sides together. Sew down a long side, make a corner to sew down the bottom, and back up to the top (pic3). Now only a short side should be open. Do this to all 6 pieces.

pic3

3. Now that all 12 pieces have been sewn into 6 pockets, turn them rightside out. Use a sitck to poke the corners so you have nice crisp pockets (pic4). Now you should have a total of 6 pockets, all rightside out with one open end and 2 nice crisp corners (pic5). Iron them all flat.

pic4

pic5

4. fold your 11x13 piece of MF in half so you can see how the wallet will look when completed. Line up 3 of the 6 pockets a good inch or so away from the left edge (pic6) (pic7). This will give you an idea of how you need to space your pockets. Don't sew anything on just yet! This will be the inside of your wallet.

pic6

pic7

5. Once you know where you want your pockets to be, go ahead and pin the bottom pocket (pic8). Unfold your MF piece (you wouldn't want to sew your wallet closed!) and sew on the bottom of the first pocket (also pic8). Do the same with the second pocket (pic9). For the third and final pocket you need to tuck the raw side under before sewing the bottom end on (pic10). Once you have all three pockets sewn on (bottoms only) iron them straight and them sew up the sides (the pockets are smoother if you sew bottom to top both ways). Now your first row of pockets is done! you should have a piece that looks like this (minus the blue stripe which you shouldn't have yet lol) (pic11)

pic8

pic9

pic10

pic11

6. Okay, now that you have your inner row of pockets done you need to decide if you want to add a bit of decoration to the ouside of the wallet. Any embroidery or ribbon you want needs to be added now. Personally I chose to use a piece of blue fabric and sew a ribbon like band around the outside. If you're adding ribbon go ahead and pin it on like this (pic11) and sew up both sides to attach it to the MF piece.

7. Since we have finished attaching the decorative ribbon we can move on to the inner row of pockets. This row of pockets should be directly below (or above, depending on how you lay your piece) your first row of pockets. If you want to add any cute details go so before you sew the pockets on (pic12). Go ahead and attach them the same way you attached the first row (pic13). Now you should have a piece that looks like this when its open (pic14) and this when its folding in half (pic15 and pic16)

pic12

pic13

pic14

pic15

pic16

8. The next step in this wallet is to make the change pocket. For this youll need your two 5x9 inch pieces. Put them right sides together and sew down a long side, across the bottom, and back up. You want to leave one shorter side open for the most part, but the following step will be easiest if you go ahead and sew the opening closed about an inch on each side. Like this (pic17). Now turn right side out. Youll need to tuck in the rough edges of the opening and sew it closed. Now you can start to see how the snap pocket will work (pic18 and pic19). You can attach it to your wallet like this (pic20 and pic21)
Once you add the snap it should look like this (pic22)

pic17

pic18

pic19

pic20

pic21

pic22

9. Now its time to add the sideways card holders. Youll need your six 3x4 pieces of CF for this. Go ahead and sew up 3 sides like you did with the other pockets. Youll end up with 3 pieces that look like this (pic23). (((This is the part of the tutorial when I got tired and stopped taking pictures so from now on the pictures will be drawn using Paint. I hope this works))) Its time to attach the card slots. Youll be doing this the same way as the other pockets. Line them up and sew them on starting with the lowest and tucking the highest rough end under. At this point you can also add a pocket for your drivers license made from the MF. Once youre done youll have a piece that looks like this (pic24) the red shows where stitches should be showing. Go ahead and attach the female end of the magnetic snap to the middle of the blue strap on the outside side of the wallet (represented by the grey circle in pic25)

pic23

pic24

10. You should have a piece that looks like this (pic25) so if you do were ready to move on to one of the final steps. Take your two 5x10 inch pieces of CF and hem one long edge on each. Now place them right sides together and sew the bottom (un-hemmed) long side (shown in pic26 in red) You should have a pocket (with open sides but a sewn bottom) that can fit dollar bills easily with plenty of length to spare. Fold up the wallet so youll be able to see what part of the wallet folds where. Once you see where the dollar pocket will be, open up your wallet piece and pin the dollar pocket to both sides of the wallet and sew the top hemmed edges to the wallet (shown in red) the only rough edges of your dollar pocket should be the part shown in purple. Now you should have a piece similar to this (pic26).

pic 25

pic26

11. Okay! All you have left is to make your closing strap and sew everything up! Take your two 3x7 inch pieces of CF and attach the remaining magnetic snap piece to one of these two 3x7 inch pieces. It should be around an inch from the short end of the piece. put right sides together and sew up a long side around the short side that holds the magnetic snap (which is now on the inside of the piece youre sewing) and back down to the last short side.  Turn this piece right side out. Poke the corners out so youll have a nice crisp piece. You should now have a strap that has one rough end, and one snap end.

12. Time to sew up the wallet! Fold the wallet in half with right sides together and sew the end with all your pockets up like this. Please ignore the dollar pocket in this picture because I did it in a different way until I discovered an easier way; the way I explained to you. Leave the other end alone since youre going to need this hole so you can attach the magnetic snap strap.

pic27

13. You can now flip your piece so that it is right side out. Your piece should now look like a wallet, open at the top, and missing the strap. Ill be using a picture of my completed wallet to illustrate what you need to sew now. Make sure your dollar pocket is nice and smooth inside and then sew up this piece shown by the red lines (pic28) (by doing this you should be sewing up one side of your dollar pocket within the piece)

pic28

14. All that is left now is to attach the strap. Fold up the wallet so you can line the magnets up and then tuck the other end of the strap into the hole. Tuck in the lose edges and then sew up the black line (pic29).

pic29

This should trap the other end of the dollar pocket giving you a complete wallet! At this point you can top stitch the bottom of the wallet to give it an even look, but thats not necessary.

All done!! Post pictures once youve made one because Id love to see what you come up with! If you notice any flaws in the tutorial just let me know. Thanks!

-Stephanie

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007 08:54:48 AM by Underhill940 - Reason: Tutorial added! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Stephanie
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

http://underhill940.blogspot.com/ <-- my crochet blog
www.wists.com/Underhill940 <-- yes I wist my own crafts hehe
BaileyB
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007 05:58:10 PM »

I would love to make one but I don't want you to go through all the trouble to make a tutorial.  On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is it?  (I am new to crafting but a quick learner.)

I was looking to make 4 wallets that could be attached for travel purposes.  I always get everything mixed up and I need a separate place to keep change and cards for 4 different countries.  This would help a lot with my project.

I did go through a few other tutorials but I like your wallet the best.  You did a great job!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007 06:07:07 PM by BaileyB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007 06:17:27 PM »

Wow that is really cute. The fabric you chose is really fun! I have been looking for a tutorial for this type of wallet. If you put one up I would definitely use it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007 06:24:35 PM »

Way too cute! Love the fabric! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
MTcrafter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007 06:25:07 PM »

Love your wallet. I'd love to make it if you decide to post a tutorial. Good Job.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007 06:31:39 PM »

I WOULD LOVE A TUT!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
fatemazaveri
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007 06:56:23 PM »

hey nice wallet... looks really well made!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petite_Tricoteuse

J'adore faire le tricot!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007 06:57:27 PM »

i love the fabric!! a tut would be lovely  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I always knit in class- what, don't you?  It's just that knitting makes everything better.  For example, calculus isn't nearly as scary when you have some nice 1x1 ribbing to focus on..."
Mienna
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007 07:45:02 PM »

Great little wallet, I love the fabric and compact size. Did you just look at a store bought one to get an idea of size/technique? I've said it a million times, I'm so envious of people who can come up with patterns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ms.cate
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007 09:57:24 PM »

that looks wonderful! I've been trying to find a pattern for a wallet, and yours is the only one i've found that actually includes sections for cards, notes and coins! massive kudos! Would dearly love a tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Middleton Opts for an Easy Island Style on Tour
Adele to Design Plus-Sized Collection For Burberry
Fall Fashion Trends: Printed Pants
Print-Mixing Expert Rachel Roy Shares Her Secrets For Effortless Style
How to Pick Out Boots for Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...