A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Succulent Wreath  (Read 26252 times)
Tags for this thread: wreath  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giantsquid
« on: December 03, 2007 09:52:37 AM »

I decided last Monday at work that I absolutely had to make one of these living succulent wreaths. If it does ok I can have it on the door year round. I managed to find all the supplies in one shopping plaza (Michael's and OSH). It just required a wire wreath frame, floral wire, peat moss, potting soil, rooting hormone and lots and lots of cuttings from succulents.

I cut all the succulents the day before I started to make the wreath so they had some time to callous over. I packet the wreath first with a layer of wet peat moss, then soil then more peat moss and then wrapped the whole thing with floral wire so it stayed attached to the wreath. I poked holes with a screwdriver and stuck the cuttings, dipped in rooting hormone, into the wreath.

It took way more cuttings than I imagined. I filled it in as much as I could with cuttings from my own yard. Then I wandered the neighborhood discretely picking pieces off my neighbors plants. Don't worry, most of them were from communal areas or plants that were huge and overgrown. I did find some really nice plants along the Strand (which is the row of houses right in front of the ocean) in front of a brand new giant multi-million dollar house that they had just put in the landscaping for. I'm sure the owners will never notice a few missing pieces of their plants.

Here is is in progress with the extra cuttings waiting to callous over.

I really like the way it turned out. I had it hung up on the door but some pieces were falling out if the door slammed too hard so I took it down to give it a little more time to root.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007 09:57:24 AM »

That's amazing! If I lived in a warmer climate I would definitely try this, I love succulents. How do you care for it? It's just excellent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
march
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007 10:34:07 AM »

I've always wondered if it was actually possible to make a succulent wreath! (although I love martha, I do sometimes question how her project may be applied at home...)

Was it difficult to do, or just time consuming?

It's lovely! Please share more pictures as it grows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007 10:46:52 AM »

This is such a cool idea! I may have to give this a go when the weather warms back up. Unfortunately, I'll have to get my plants at the garden shop...no succulents growing in the neighborhood! But, it'll have to be a gift for my sister- she has a lot of luck with succulents, whereas I have almost none...

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Rascal Kosher
Rascal Kosher - Here to revamp the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007 11:20:02 AM »

That's so unusual and beautiful.
I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Idle hands are the Devil's playthings.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rascalkosher
tristitia

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007 01:57:56 PM »

That's really beautiful and creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
giantsquid
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007 02:54:28 PM »

I've always wondered if it was actually possible to make a succulent wreath! (although I love martha, I do sometimes question how her project may be applied at home...)

Was it difficult to do, or just time consuming?

It really wasn't that difficult to make and once you have enough cuttings it really isn't that time consuming either. 

I kind of combined the Martha http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=b91e5f667e842110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default tutorial and the DIYnetwork http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/fl_other/article/0,,DIY_13819_2277619,00.html tutorial.  I didn't use copper wire though, just cheep floral wire. 

Both tutorials say to soak it in a tub of water to water it but I just sprayed it and it seems fine.  Mine should be ok outside all year long since it's really mild in Southern California but anywhere that it gets below freezing it probably needs to be taken in in the winter.  I guess that kind of ruins the Christmas wreath effect but it would probably look cool sitting on a table with candles in the middle too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keriw24
Brown Thumb Gardener

Imafundork & Keriw24 - Sisters 1st, Friends 4Ever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007 08:59:51 AM »

That looks great!  I might have to try my hand at that.... although I am not very good at executing crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Luck of the Irish Round 2 Send-outs 3/3
Bento Swap Round 3 Send-outs 3/1
lovelyislacey
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007 06:17:48 AM »

I love this. I cant seem to keep my succulents alive The keep going dead on me. I think they are getting too much water out of the air Sad Anyway this is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trix_ska
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007 02:40:04 PM »

Shocked Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Vera Wang Dress Code
What To Wear: Chevrons
Sarah Jessica Parker Launching Shoe Collection With Manolo Blahnik
Learn to Fold Your Tee Perfectly Every Time
Pretty Savvy: Graphic Tee
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...