A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,983
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thanks for breaking up with me, here's yr scarf! [DANICA]  (Read 11640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cdngreenie
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2007 10:25:36 PM »

well, he obviously doesn't know what a good thing is if he's dumped someone willing to make such a gorgeous scarf for him... and over myspace is probably the most tactless thing imaginable.

I agree with most of the rest of the posts here:

a) it doesn't clash with your hair, it looks great
b) it is GORGEOUS and he doesn't deserve it whatsoever
c) if you don't want to keep it, you ought to give it away to someone you like who still likes you (e.g. your mum), or to charity, or sell it.

whatever you do, you did a fabulous job, and I hope you have more appreciative relationships in your future!  That jerk obviously didn't know how good he had it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingrabbit
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2007 10:33:38 PM »

It's a lovely scarf, and if I were you I'd give it to a random person on the street, not telling them the story of how it came to be b/c you don't want to pass on the bad, just the beautiful scarf.

Maybe if you let the scarf go you will let go of the jerkwad more easily.  Anyone who would break up with you that way is a taterhead and deserves to fade into obscurity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iheartcapnhook
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2007 05:57:56 AM »

First, I must ask: What yarn is that?  It looks gorgeous in entrelac!!!

Second: I know the time and effort you put into that scarf as I have tried entrelac and failed miserably.

Third: You are adorable. Is he in high school that he would use myspace?  You can do better!

Fourth: Here's what you do... wrap it.  Go somewhere that people will be in masses.  Look around for someone either dressed slightly shabby or an adorable little old grandparent (you get the picture). Walk up and hand them the package, say Happy Holidays and walk away (or watch their face when they unwrap). 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2007 06:11:51 AM »

i like this suggestion the best of all - random acts of kindness.

find out when your food pantry serves people, and pick someone at random.

First, I must ask: What yarn is that?  It looks gorgeous in entrelac!!!

Second: I know the time and effort you put into that scarf as I have tried entrelac and failed miserably.

Third: You are adorable. Is he in high school that he would use myspace?  You can do better!

Fourth: Here's what you do... wrap it.  Go somewhere that people will be in masses.  Look around for someone either dressed slightly shabby or an adorable little old grandparent (you get the picture). Walk up and hand them the package, say Happy Holidays and walk away (or watch their face when they unwrap). 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
purplexime
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2007 07:02:10 AM »

It's his lost. 
Beautiful scarf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2007 08:20:29 AM »

I think it looks fabulous with your hair! Personally, I'd keep it just because of that. But if you can't stand it, there's NOTHING wrong with giving it to someone else who will appreciate it.
Don't give it to him, whatever you do! I know it's tempting but it's not worth it and he's not worth it.

Sorry to hear about the MySpace break up. That is just shameful (on his part, of course). Unfortunately I've had a couple experiences like that. My last BF actually left me nasty comments breaking up with me over something he's heard from friends, without even talking to me about it. But I assure you it could have been worse. He then proceeded to take all of my stuff he had at his place and dump it on the lawn/porch of my dad's house. Lol. Super classy moves, no? I'm still sitting on a bunch of sock yarn in colors I'd never use that was to become a love pair of fair isle socks in his favorite team colors. Tongue

Knitting for someone and having them dump you first sucks terribly. I was working on a scarf for a guy I was dating when he suddenly pulled a no-call-no-show on me for a couple months. Luckily I was also planning to make one for my brother out of the same yarn so I decided that one was his and just never made the other one (turns out I loathed working with that yarn anyway Tongue). If I had finished it (and it wasn't one I already planned to make for my bro), I still would have given it to a family member or friend who'd appreciate it. Probably my mom because she loves everything I make and always wants all of it. Lol.

Anyway, your scarf is beautiful and deserves to be worn proudly by someone who loves it and appreciates what you put into it. Don't feel bad when you look at it. Take it as beautiful physical proof of how much better a person you are! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2007 08:56:12 AM »

I feel your pain.  Many moons ago, I was dumped by IM.  Maybe we dated the same coward?  Tongue  There should be a special level of Hell for guys like that.

The scarf is beautiful, and looks great with your hair.  You have awesome knitting skillz.

It's totally up to you what you choose to do with the scarf.  You could keep it, if it doesn't bring up too many bad memories... or give it away as a holiday gift, or give it to charity.

Or you could send it to me Wink Tongue Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k8g
Lefty Hooker, Cutter, and Gluer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2007 09:44:19 AM »

That scarf is great!!!

Something very similar happened to me and my scarf once (minus the MySpace....*cough*EPIC!LOSERDUDE!*cough*).

I ended up giving it to a nicer (and cuter) boy who was my friend, and it looks better on him, anyway.

(Everybody else's ideas look good, too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2007 10:42:13 AM »

There a knitters' superstition that if you knit for your boyfriend, he'll break up with you.  I don't think it's that cut-and-dried, though.  For instance, I spent months designing and implementing a really complex custom hat for my guy, and he wears it everywhere (he even rolls it up in a ball and cuddles it unconsciously sometimes).  So, I think that knitting for a boyfriend is really more of a litmus test - if it works, and he loves what you made and loves it because you made it, he's a keeper.  If he pulls what this guy pulled on you, then he's a "d-bag" indeed.   

On the bright side, there are good men out there, and as pretty and awesome as you obviously are, you're going to snag the best.  You're just weeding out the lame ones before they waste too much of your time.  Someday, you're going to find the hottest guy of all, and he's going to say, "*gasp* Is that entrelac?!  All my life I've waited for a woman with your formidable skills!"

Okay, so maybe not.  But he'll be good in other ways, and he won't pull dumb teenager crap like breaking up with you on Myspace.  In the meantime, you should feel really good about the fact that you have SEVEN PAGES of righteous girl-gang indignation backing up you up on this, and know that no matter where that scarf goes, you brought some beauty and love into the world that wasn't here before. 

(I think it looks totally rad with your hair, by the way - kind of mermaid-y!)

<---Edit---> : I looked at your Myspace - you're in Denver?  I live in Capitol Hill.  You could join my real-life girl gang!  Mostly, we just plan out the nasty things we'll do in the future, but once we get our act together, we're going to take our revenge on all the bad stupid boys in town.  We'll put you on the list for bar-fight practice if you want =P
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007 10:45:38 AM by catladysarah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2007 10:49:44 AM »

can I borrow some of that "righteous girl-gang indignation" for tomorrow please?  I could really use it, just for a couple of hours in the morning?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Easy, Painless Beauty Regiment, From Didi Gluck
Easy Work Makeup Looks, From Didi Gluck
Winter-Spring Skincare Routine
VF COLLECTIONS: Calvin Klein Collection - Fall 2015 - NYFW - Runway & Interviews
VF NEWS: Jenny Packham - Fall 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Runway & Interviews
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...