A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas where to find fabric that meets children's sleepwear regulations?  (Read 1439 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nero_fiore

Crafting is fun! Even kids can do it!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2007 05:42:11 AM »

Hi everyone!

I've been wanting to utilize some great designs I have for infant sleepwear, but for the life of me can't find any fabrics that comply with Children's Sleepwear Regulations.

Has anyone found a fabric store or manufacturer that sells it? I can't even find wholesale manufacturers that require tax ID number (which I have) that sells it.

If anyone needs some boring reading material to fall asleep to, here's the full regulation:
http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumsleepwear.pdf

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrsbmoney
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007 11:37:18 AM »

I have never seen any fabric that meets the regulations.  I don't even think the sleepwear is fire retardant until they put the chemical or what ever it is on the fabric.  You could google a fire retardant spray or wash on chemical for fabrics that you could do yourself.  I have read to make the night gowns to fit as tight as possible.  Sorry if I wasn't much help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemejia
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007 05:20:42 AM »

are these for yourself or to sell? If they are to sell then yeah you need to find something that meets the standard. or you can call your stuff a "lounge set" instead of jammies.

I've heard and I'm not 100% sure about it (maybe google it) that if you wash your stuff with fabric softner then you are essentially breaking down the "fire retardant" chemical. And it really only lasts so many washings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007 10:10:02 AM »

I've never bothered worrying about it for my kids.

Admittedly, they usually wear sweats and tee's anyway. So they rarely get the benefit of the retardant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Mrsbmoney
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007 01:05:14 PM »

I've never bothered worrying about it for my kids.

Admittedly, they usually wear sweats and tee's anyway. So they rarely get the benefit of the retardant.

Me too!  My kids sleep in t shirts and sweat pants alsol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007 02:51:21 PM »

I took the idea from my hubby. He loves sweat pants for sleeping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
nero_fiore

Crafting is fun! Even kids can do it!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007 04:30:05 AM »

are these for yourself or to sell? If they are to sell then yeah you need to find something that meets the standard. or you can call your stuff a "lounge set" instead of jammies.

I've heard and I'm not 100% sure about it (maybe google it) that if you wash your stuff with fabric softner then you are essentially breaking down the "fire retardant" chemical. And it really only lasts so many washings.

I'd like to sell these, but have not found a site at all that sells the material. I love the idea of calling them "lounge sets" but I don't think I could pull that off with the sleeper bags I want to make for infants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverlife
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007 08:26:45 AM »

The regulations you linked to says that sleepwear for children under 9 months doesn't need to meet the same requirements, so your infant sleep sacs might be okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L-train
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007 11:30:25 AM »

I used to work at JoAnn Fabrics and while most of the flannel, etc said "not suitable for children's sleepwear" there was a small section (i'm talking like 4 bolts) of fabrics that were fire retardant. I'm not sure if that is exactly what you're looking for, but if there's a JoAnn's near you (especially if it's an ETC store) you may be able to find them and have a look to see if they comply.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahtar
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007 05:28:57 PM »

Joann currently has a large-ish section (like 15-20 bolts) at our largeish but not a superstore location. Sometimes you can find it at Walmart, though it's been a few years since I've seen it there.

Most people who I know who make/sell children's sleepwear call it "loungewear" as suggested above. I know many, many people who won't buy the federally-approved stuff because those chemicals aren't doing our kids any favors, either. (But most of those people also have kids who sleep in the same room with the parents, so they're not super worried about their children burning in a fire, either.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallypop, Affordable cloth diapers, slings, & other products for natural families.
Boulevard Designs, My Etsy shop
One Crafty Girl, My Blog about crafting
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paul McIlhenny, Tabasco CEO Dies at 68
2013 Relish Cooking Show Promo
Fresh Green Bean Recipes
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...