A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is my family really impossible or is it just me?!  (Read 700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fudgegirl
« on: December 03, 2007 02:21:51 AM »

Okay, so every year i have this problem.... first i'll introduce my family:

Mum - 50+, likes gardening (but we're in the middle of a huge drought so everything will die), has a pet rabbit. I would have sworn she was more interesting than that, but i really can't think of anything. Embarrassed Oh yes, she speaks french, though i'm not sure how that will help... Wink

Dad - **Need both birthday and Xmas present!**. Retired; likes reading, is back at uni studying german (can speak german), very quiet. Doesnt like sports or movies.

Oldest brother - Loves scuba diving, can fly light aircraft, lives away from home. Isn't into sports except for bike riding. Is a PhD student.

Brother #2 - Works night shift in a hospital, has a very old dog who he loves lots. Still lives at home. Just finished army reserves training, but didnt like it.

Brother #3 - Plays bagpipes, is in the army reserves (and likes it), is training to be a vet, loves animals, is about to move off to college or a share house out of town.

SO. They all hate sports, love food. That's usually what i get them; lollies etc. So if anyone has some easy-ish recipes for candies etc i would be eternally gratefull (sp?). Any other ideas I would also LOVE as i would kinda like to mix things up a bit and not give them food for once.
I have already had a look around the craftster cooking section and i didnt see many (if any) candy recipes...but it could be that i'm blind....always a possibility.

Grin Thanks for reading so far!!! I hope some of the brilliant craftsters out there can help me!

*edit* whoops, forgettting to tell you what crafts i'm into was a bit of a newbie mistake! (no offence newbies Wink)
I can sew ( more machine than hand, but i can do some hand sewing), crochet, bead (not much good for guy gifts though!), i'm a pretty good cook i think, i can stencil ( if i have to... not having freezer paper makes it kinda annoying really) and... yeah. i can't draw very well. I think that's about all.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007 10:20:18 PM by Fudgegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soxfan16
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007 10:28:46 AM »

I have a few ideas
For you mom you could decorate some flower pots for her, maybe with mosaic tiles or something, that way she can grow smaller amounts of things inside while you wait for the drought to be over.

For your brother that likes bicycles, could you make him a bike bag so sorts so that he can keep his keys and wallet in it when he rides?

Just some thoughts
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo flower girl
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007 11:32:46 AM »

There are some simple recipes on here that might work for you, try the search feature.  Beyond that, what type of crafts can you do well?  It would be helpful to know your skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
dancerator600
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007 07:29:42 PM »

It would be fun to sew them all PJ pants - you can find all sorts of fun flannel that might relate to their different interests/tastes.  You could make a lounge/relaxation package for each of them with pj pants, yummy candy, a good book/cd.  Just a though. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh look, yet another Christmas TV special! How touching to have the meaning of Christmas brought to us by cola, fast food, and beer... Who'd have ever guessed that product consumption, popular entertainment, and spirituality would mix so harmoniously?
Bill Watterson
wisconsin wicked chick
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007 11:04:23 PM »

Sometimes it justs helps to get ideas from others. 

The pots for your mom would be even more special if you find out what kind of plants she likes to plant and decoupage an image of that plant and paint the french word for that item on the pot?  Possible also gift some seed packets or bulbs?

For your father, maybe find out what book he likes and see if you can purchase the German copy of it?

For your brothers, take the interests that they have and purchase (or even better) make scrubs from fabric that shows their interests?

Hope that helps some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Mouse
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Frog
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Queen
How to Design a Cartoon Monkey
How to Illustrate a Cartoon House
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...