A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flat pack tv unit to corner suite  (Read 3059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 02, 2007 11:17:24 PM »

We have had this tv unit for a while, it used to have a top and side bit too but that part was really unsteady (el-cheapo flat pack  Angry). Plus, in our last move we only removed the top for ease of removal and kind of lost all the flat pack fixtures  Embarrassed.

I still had all the spare wood (Hi my name is Eve, and I'm a hoarder) which has already become a small computer printer table. I really wanted a corner unit since our lounge suite is quite large and I need all the space I can get. I didn't want to pay $500 + for a store-bought one and this close to Christmas my meagre funds are shrinking fast. So I thought 'why not cut into a perfectly good tv unit to hopefully make something stable enough to hold my coffee?'.... and I did.

Before: long and space consuming, plus I really don't use the cd holders and with everything low down, my new-to-crawling son loves hitting the buttons.

After: I cut off either side, angled the two rear corners to make the corner-fit, added the sides and top, screwed in the former adjustable shelf and added a door.

I removed the cd racks so I can keep some of our dvds in those parts. I reused the old fixtures including the door hinge and knob. The only thing I used from my stash was some wood screws, so the whole thing cost me nothing.

You can see how each side is in two parts - straight side and angled side - this helps keep it all stable. Unfortunately I could not re-use the iron on edging but at least all the front has finished edges.

Action shot:
Holds up nicely thank you and no more easy access to the stereo for my little monster (don't worry, those dvds are squished in pretty good  Grin )

I even dug up the original feet which we had never fitted and added them so the tv sits up over the edge of the lounge chair arms.

This project was nearly submitted for the 'Super ugly to super awesome' challenge but I posted this one instead.

Please note - the only power tool I had was a drill, this is totally hand-sawn, and very straight I might add! I could barely move my right arm the next day but it was worth it. I had to saw across the width and length of the existing pieces to get the fit I wanted.

What I learnt: I need to learn to become ambidextrous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
redfuzzy

Doesn't everyone have a sonic screwdriver?!?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007 11:36:43 PM »

Absolutely brilliant!
You have inspired me to attack my tv table and redesign it in to something more usable and pretty (it is really ugly  Embarrassed )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap with you. PM me.
My Wists
DesignerDucky
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007 11:52:08 AM »

This is awesome!! I would have never guessed that you made that if I hadn't read the whole thing!!  Amazing! You are very talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\\\\\\\"Some people are settling down, some people are settling, and some people refuse to settle for anything less...than butterflies. ~~Carrie Bradshaw; Sex and the City
Bluewolf
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007 02:33:19 PM »

KEWL! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AGFH
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007 11:12:07 AM »

What a fantastic re-do!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
freakymysty
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007 01:25:37 PM »

You are SUPER AWESOME!  I am amazed at the transformation.  I never would've guessed that the new piece was made out of the old one.  The fact that you spent almost 0 money and just used basic tools is amazing as well.  Now I'll be eyeing my furniture and seeing the possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008 04:01:39 PM »

This turned out great! I love that you didn't have to buy anything extra. Another idea you may want to use, since it looks as if those cubby holes for the DVDs is tall enough, You can take your DVDs out of the boxes and put them in an album for CDs. I did this and was able to shove oh, I'd say easily 100 DVDs into a very small space.
Not an original idea. I have a friend who thought of this one! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roundhouseknitter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008 06:37:33 AM »

We have had this tv unit for a while, it used to have a top and side bit too but that part was really unsteady (el-cheapo flat pack  Angry). Plus, in our last move we only removed the top for ease of removal and kind of lost all the flat pack fixtures  Embarrassed.

I still had all the spare wood (Hi my name is Eve, and I'm a hoarder) which has already become a small computer printer table. I really wanted a corner unit since our lounge suite is quite large and I need all the space I can get. I didn't want to pay $500 + for a store-bought one and this close to Christmas my meagre funds are shrinking fast. So I thought 'why not cut into a perfectly good tv unit to hopefully make something stable enough to hold my coffee?'.... and I did.

Before: long and space consuming, plus I really don't use the cd holders and with everything low down, my new-to-crawling son loves hitting the buttons.

After: I cut off either side, angled the two rear corners to make the corner-fit, added the sides and top, screwed in the former adjustable shelf and added a door.

I removed the cd racks so I can keep some of our dvds in those parts. I reused the old fixtures including the door hinge and knob. The only thing I used from my stash was some wood screws, so the whole thing cost me nothing.

You can see how each side is in two parts - straight side and angled side - this helps keep it all stable. Unfortunately I could not re-use the iron on edging but at least all the front has finished edges.

Action shot:
Holds up nicely thank you and no more easy access to the stereo for my little monster (don't worry, those dvds are squished in pretty good  Grin )

I even dug up the original feet which we had never fitted and added them so the tv sits up over the edge of the lounge chair arms.

This project was nearly submitted for the 'Super ugly to super awesome' challenge but I posted this one instead.

Please note - the only power tool I had was a drill, this is totally hand-sawn, and very straight I might add! I could barely move my right arm the next day but it was worth it. I had to saw across the width and length of the existing pieces to get the fit I wanted.

What I learnt: I need to learn to become ambidextrous

okay someone hold the presses! are you saying that the two side sections made up the top? Oh man, I like that! I also have a low type tv stand not even as nice as yours! mostly shelves which nothing can be stored in. TV sits on top, books get pushed backwards, etc., etc. A very annoying piece of furniture. Can it even be called that? My hubby has plans of "making something new" for the tv, books, cds, dvds, videos (I still love my vids!) and so on. Will he ever get to it? Stay tuned! Anyways, now I am seeing the possiblites for that hidous thang. Maybe some sort of desk, or sewing, knitting, crochet storage. Don't know but its gonna be mine! I get the toss offs that is if I can convince him not to them out!

Thank you for the new idea!

Craftster is the best place to visit and I really enjoy having my brain charged each day. Thank you Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008 06:40:43 AM »

oops I mean "I get the toss offs if I can convince him not to throw them out". lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008 03:14:44 AM »

Thanks for all the lovely replies!

roundhouseknitter, the sides are actually made up from the old top it had, but I didn't have attached cause the whole thing was just tooo unsteady

This was honestly a project of practicality vs budget constraints. I had a few more complex designs originally but decided to stick with the original base structure as much as possible so it would be sturdy.

craftewoman, if I wasn't such a sucker for the lovely covers I would!  Grin

I spent nothing on it and dramatically reduces my stash of flat-pack pieces that were taking up my tiny shed. And as of now, it is still holding up nicely.

Eve

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Fixing Dependencies Automatically
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Opening Files
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Working with File Types and Extensions
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving and Editing Document Presets
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating a New Document
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...