A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Five crocheted shawls! Including Newlyweds & batwing, w/ links to patterns &c  (Read 8314 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Keridiana
« on: December 30, 2004 04:33:30 PM »

I nearly winged all of these -- that's the great thing about crochet, in my opinion. 

This one was based roughly on http://web.archive.org/web/20010424164757/http://www.cei.net/~vchisam/groovy/64-135.html

Veeery easy to do, except for the love knots that I really winged. Cheapie acrylic yarn, baby sport weight.

<<<Edited to remove broken image...web address no longer exists Sad>>>

Victorian-era baby hooded cape, enlarged for me -- roughly based on this, with arm pass-through holes:  http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/victoriancape.html. Made from Grignasco merino wool, discounted from Smiley's Yarns.com.  A really nice yarn, but took quite a lot of those little balls to make this cape.

My summer poncho, styled to be shorter in the front so I could have my hands unperturbed, but have the look of a nice triangle shawl in the back. I either wear it up gathered around the neck, or down.  I wore it with a big floppy summer hat and got compliments all day -- even from the bus driver!  Yarn:  mercerized cotton in fingering weight.  Stitch: like the Delta Mesh stitch, but only DC.

My Newlywed Shawl attempt in Patons Grace, a ribbon tape I got cheap from Smiley's Yarns.com -- color: Flamingo.  In retrospect the color is a bit too wild for me, so I've only used it once.  But it was fun to do the Delta Crochet!  I followed the bellaonline pattern.

My friend called this my very Easter scarf.  Made from shimmery Red Heart baby yarn.  Then with a pink satin ribbon treaded along the top.

Lastly, this is Reynold's Cantata cotton with 15% nylon for a bit of spring.  Based on Seraphina's really AWESOME and fun pattern.  I did get lost along the way and of course, winged it.  Suitable for this batwing scarf!  http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/croshawl.html

Victorial Baby's Cape: http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/victoriancape.html

Unfortunately, I didn't write down a pattern or anything, I just changed it as I went along, by constantly measuring against myself.  Start at the collar and make it big enough for you, then follow the pattern but make everything longer for you. It went pretty easily, since shawls don't need to be really fitted. JUST MAKE SURE YOU INCREASE EVENLY ACROSS THE WHOLE WORK. Think of it in sections divided by the shells, and increase in the MIDDLE consistently of each section as you go across.

BLUE SHAWL - FROM GROOVY CROCHET

SIZE: Finished Length: 32" (excluding ruffle)

GAUGE: 4 sts = 1 inch;
3 rows = 2 inches

BE SURE YOUR STITCH GAUGE IS CORRECT. Do not hesitate to change needle size to achieve gauge indicated in the instructions.

MATERIALS REQUIRED:
Bucilla Multi, 1-3/4 oz. ball:  5 balls
Boye Aluminum Crochet Hook Size H or size to give gauge above.

___Row 1: Ch 14 to measure approximately 4", dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across (12 dc); ch 3, turn. (Ch 3 counts as 1 dc.)

___Row 2: Dc in first dc, 2 dc in each dc across, 2 dc in top of ch-3 (24 dc), ch 3, turn.

___Row 3: 2 dc in next dc and in each of next 21 dc, dc in top of ch-3 (46 dc), ch 3, turn.

____Row 4: Dc in first dc and in each dc across, dc in top of ch 3, (47 dc), ch 3, turn.

___Row 5: Dc in next dc; 3 dc in next dc, * ch 1, sk next dc, dc in each of next 5 dc, repeat from * 6 times [8-5 dc groups (grp)], ch 3. turn.

___Row 6: Dc in next dc, 3 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 2 dc, * ch 1, sk ch-1 sp, dc in each of next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 2 dc, repeat from * 9 times (8-7 dc grps), ch 3, turn.

___Row 7: Dc in next dc and each dc to within ch-1 sp, * ch 1, sk ch-1 sp, dc in each dc to next ch-1 sp, repeat from * 6 times, ch 3, turn.

___Row 8: Dc in next dc and each dc to center dc of group, 3 dc in next dc, dc in each dc to within ch-1 sp, * ch 1, sk ch-1 sp, dc in each dc to center dc of grp, 3 dc in center dc, dc in each dc to next ch-1 sp; repeat from * 6 times (8-9 dc grps); ch 3, turn. Repeat last 2 rows 12 times. (8-33 dc grps.) Ch 1, turn.

___LACE RUFFLE: Row 1: Sc in first dc * (draw up lp to 1", yo and draw through lp on hook, insert hook between 1" lp and single strand behind it and work 1 sc) twice (love knot made), sk next dc, sc in next dc *, repeat between *'s 15 times, work love knot sk dc and ch-1 sp, sc in next dc , repeat between 's 6 times, then repeat between *'s once.

___Row 2: Ch 1, * work 1 love knot, sc in sc of love knot in row below. Repeat from * to end. Repeat Row 2, 3 times. At end of last row continue along side edge as follows: (work 1 love knot, sc in sc of next love knot) twice, work love knot, sc in top of last dc row, * work a love knot, sc in next dc row, repeat from * along side edge,  continue around top and rem side edge to lower edge of ruffle; join. Break and fasten off.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010 09:50:03 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: removed a pattern to replace with link to site with that pattern... can't find a link for the second pattern, leaving it in for now. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretelgrrl
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004 05:02:27 PM »

aiy aiy aiy!  Hot!!! ROck on - those are all dead sexy!  Good job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaipod
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004 06:22:33 PM »

those are so neat. i wish i knew how to crochet... Cry I only know how to knit!

-kaia

lovely. lovely. lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"everything you can imagine is real" -pablo picasso.
Keridiana
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004 07:06:08 PM »

Crocheting is easier! I crocheted for years before I had the ability to knit!  What do other ppl who do both think -- which is easier, crochet or knit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodyBoBodie

God Bless Us Everyone!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004 07:31:28 PM »

WOW, very nice work.  And I am so impressed that you make things for yourself!  Everything I make I end up giving as a gift!  WTG!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelwing75
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004 09:07:38 PM »

Shocked Those are all soooooo beautiful!  I especially love the baby one.  Lovely work!  I am incredibly impressed.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004 04:22:01 AM »

Very nice!  My favorite is the summer poncho.  I love orange.  You wear it well.  Nice job all around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BleuKitten
Semi-crafty cat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004 06:17:07 AM »

Those are beautiful, very nice work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kamithina
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004 10:25:52 AM »

My favorite is the one with the hood from the modified baby pattern, but they are all awesom!  Grin  How did you adjust the pattern so it would be an adult size?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Keridiana
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004 11:06:01 AM »

My favorite is the one with the hood from the modified baby pattern, but they are all awesom! Grin How did you adjust the pattern so it would be an adult size? Huh

Thank you!  The baby cape is my favorite too.  Since I was crocheting, basically I could eye-measure as I went along against my body.  Whatever the pattern called for, I did it, but wider and longer.  Then when it was about elbow-length from the collar, I did it in sections to allow for the arm-opening.  After going in 4 separate sections for enough to insert the arm through (4-5"), I rejoined all 4 by simply crocheting straight across all 4 pieces.  With the shell pattern, it worked up pretty fast, even on that very baby weight yarn (Grignasco merino gold).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Dancing Wire Figure - Part 2
How to Make a Terra Cotta Clay Sun Part 1
How to Make a Terra Cotta Clay Sun Part 2
How to Make a Storyteller Sculpture Part 2
How to Make a Storyteller Sculpture Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...