A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thinking of covering (gluing) my tv in faux fur...help/suggestions? (2pics)  (Read 509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ViciousGossip
« on: December 02, 2007 01:53:21 PM »

So I saw this in the amazing book PAD and totally have been wanting to try it!

In the book it says he used "ersatz animal skin" (Huh) and contact cement. I have some faux fur and hot glue. Do you think it will work? I'm just wondering if there will be any issues with it actually affecting the tv itself...such as it getting too heated up or something.

Here's my tv:

So what do you think??? Any and all help is very much appreciated! Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007 01:56:07 PM by ViciousGossip » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007 02:05:40 PM »

Issue nr 1 to look out for - absolutely do not cover any exhaust or get too near electrical conduits.
Other than that, it might work Wink I've seen it done successfully with computer screens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
goldy
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007 02:20:54 PM »

To me it looks like the tv is sitting inside a frame coverd in fake skin. I eco previous post dont cover any air vents. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lib2
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007 11:10:28 PM »

Ersatz just means, essentially, a fake.  So yeah - faux animal skin.  He probably specified animal skin as opposed to faux fur because it's a smooth skin.  Fur will be a whole different look.  Could be fun, though I personally wouldn't use fur just because I wouldn't want the little hairs blocking the entire frame of my screen, lol!

As for overheating - it should be fine just so long as you don't cover the vents in the back.

Neat idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViciousGossip
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007 07:11:35 PM »

Ersatz just means, essentially, a fake.  So yeah - faux animal skin.  He probably specified animal skin as opposed to faux fur because it's a smooth skin.  Fur will be a whole different look.  Could be fun, though I personally wouldn't use fur just because I wouldn't want the little hairs blocking the entire frame of my screen, lol!

As for overheating - it should be fine just so long as you don't cover the vents in the back.

Neat idea!

Ohhh, so that's what ersatz means! I've looked it up and didn't get any matches. The leopard fur I'm using is like velvety-ish. If that makes sense.

I think I'm gonna just cover the front around the screen and the sides of the screen, but not the back or anything. I'm gonna post pictures whenever I get around to doing it!

Thanks everyone for your help!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007 07:18:05 PM »

I covered my tv in leopard print a couple of months ago. I love it!  I left the back uncovered (pretty much the same as you described) and I haven't had any trouble with it overheating. I did have to cut a hole for the remote sensor. It muffles the speakers a bit too, but my tv is hooked up to my stereo, so it doesn't really matter. I used E-6000 adhesive. I don't see any reason that hot glue wouldn't work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
ViciousGossip
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007 06:11:30 PM »

I covered my tv in leopard print a couple of months ago. I love it!  I left the back uncovered (pretty much the same as you described) and I haven't had any trouble with it overheating. I did have to cut a hole for the remote sensor. It muffles the speakers a bit too, but my tv is hooked up to my stereo, so it doesn't really matter. I used E-6000 adhesive. I don't see any reason that hot glue wouldn't work.

Oh, rad! I'm happy knowing that you've done it and haven't had any issues...as soon as I get a free moment I'm def gonna get started on mine!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007 06:22:02 PM by ViciousGossip » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Lightweight Hoodies For Spring Workouts
Picking Out the Perfect Sunglasses
How to Find the Right Size Shoe For You
Zoe Saldana Bares Her Abs in a Crop Top and Goes Bold in Hot Pink
The 6 Shoes Every Woman Should Own
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...