A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I FOUND A FABRIC STORE THAT ROCKS MY SOCKS IN MONTCLAIR (NORTH NJ)  (Read 22053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008 04:10:34 AM »

I used to work in Newark and remember a couple of pleasant lunch hours in the Belleville store.  You're right.  A lot of good stuff.  They were selling zippers for a penny a piece the last time I was there.  Only problem:  they were all green.  I happen to like green.  Cheesy  It's become family joke that everything I sew has a green zipper.  I've still got 40 or 50 of those zippers left. Alas, it's too far for me to drive there now. 

Why won't Joann's open a store on Route 4 in Paramus?   I'm sure there are still enough of us to keep it open -- as long as it's a small store.

There's a discount home decorator fabric store in Bergenfield that's pretty good but it has absolutely no notions and the people who own it don't sew; same goes for Sew and Sew Forth in Nyack. That store has a good inventory, but no help in finding things.   

There was a mom and pop store in Westwood, [similar to Paramus Fabrics] but the owner told me he has no business and is not replacing the stock. My sister bought some interfacing for me there a few weeks ago and when I went back to buy some more, he had sold the last piece and wasn't buying anymore.  A real shame.  I remember when that store was buzzing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
JerseyGal
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008 08:52:01 AM »

SmileyYou're right about the zippers at Farbric Warehouse!  Mine are all dark red/maroon...but I do use them as metal zippers are hard to find cheap.
The one thing to remember is that this place IS a warehouse and you won't get any personal service to speak of.  But prices are great and you go to stock up on anything you need.  I got great silk flowers for a wedding project last year and just the color fabric I needed for table centerpieces.
You gotta love this kind of a place...or don't go.  Leave it for those of us who like to rummage around and find the treasures!

:(I've heard that Walmart will no longer sell bolted fabric as they don't want to have an employee ready to cut the yardage.  Not that we have a Walmart nearby, but for those whose only choice for fabric is this chain, they are devastated.  It's being phased out across the country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008 07:49:16 AM »

I was in I've got a Notion yesterday to get some cording for pillow edge piping.
Marilyn, the owner, has expanded her stock and has a really nice selection in all departments.  She is also selling Janome machines in the store.
The store is also online at www.ivegotanotion.c om and she does online selling.
Address:  122 Watchung Avenue (at the rear of the parking lot next to Aspen Fitness) Upper Montclair  Phone: 973-744-0079
I told her about craftster.org.  Hope she gets more business.  Check it out, and while you are in the area, stroll around the Watchung Plaza stores.  Fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jadee

on her way to being the crazy cat lady

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008 08:11:49 AM »

Thank you Jerseygal, I'm going to visit this place this weekend.  I love finding new places and Montclair isn't that far from me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LolaRivers
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008 08:50:36 PM »

I went here today!  it was amazing..maybe i am a bit new to the fabric world but i was really excited about all the fabric they had.

i plan to make my own reusable bags and found their fabric to be perfect!

They are also super friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008 05:54:24 PM »

I went here today!  it was amazing

Glad you liked my neighborhood store!!  It is soooo important to keep these local merchants in business.  We don't have a whole lot of choices in this area.  Spread the word about Marilyn's store, please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LolaRivers
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008 01:00:05 PM »

apparently when i was a baby i lived across the street from this place..small world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
absolutelyhats
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009 11:34:40 AM »

great! I'll have to check it out asap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009 07:02:21 PM »

great! I'll have to check it out asap.
Please do!  Marilyn and family have made the store even better.  The fabric section has grown and there are some neat cotton prints, all beautifully arranged by color.
There is no sign at the parking lot entrance so look for the Aspen Fitness Center straight ahead and I've Got a Notion is to the right in the back corner of the lot.  Easy to miss.  Had to help a lady find it one day as it's really hidden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
REGINAMG20
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009 08:48:24 PM »

ahh im so excited to have found this forum. I have been in search for some crafty friends. love my friends to death but they dont get as excited as me when im done with my projects. Anyway, where have all you been. There is a great fabrc shop n Belleville. Prices are awesome. Cotton prints $2-$4 a yard. The place is not very glamorous but has alot to pick from. Its called Fabric Warehouse, Right off 21. Any chicas here sew clothing? Lookin for people to exchange patterns with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Sewing fills my days, not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chakin Sushi Recipe
Insari Sushi Recipe
Vietnamese Shrimp Skewers Recipe
Crab Meat Salad Recipe
Indian Lentil Stew Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...