A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,477
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I FOUND A FABRIC STORE THAT ROCKS MY SOCKS IN MONTCLAIR (NORTH NJ)  (Read 22585 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skarinja
« on: December 02, 2007 12:53:09 PM »

So, on Watchung Ave. in Montclair (near West Orange, Verona, Glen Ridge, etc.) there is what appears to be a small fabric/sewing store called I've Got A Notion! Inside however, it's rather large with a nice selection of fabric (not too many styles but lots of colors in each type), great selection of lace, lots of zippers, thread, buttons, even my necessities like FrayCheck and Polymark fabric paint. My point is.... it's my new replacement for Rag Shop. Ever since it's gone out of business I've been going to the garment district in the city every other weekend or so to pick up 12 buttons or buy some fabric. Sadly enough, the garment district is closer to me than any Joann's or anything. But I'm excited beyond belief that I now have I've Got A Notion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog pleats n' eats!!

http://pleatsneats.tumblr.com/
procrastinating
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008 07:55:59 AM »

Thank you!!  I was wondering where else to go! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mir
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008 04:11:27 PM »

how are the prices?  i ask because the only store near to where i live has pretty steep prices, so i wonder if it's worth the gas money to drive (about 30 minutes) to montclair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skarinja
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008 01:42:31 PM »

The prices aren't amazing, but aren't over the top. There's never a snag or great deal but they're pretty typical I'd say. There's also a store in East Orange called Central Fabrics or Fabric Land or something like that with Fabric in the title that is pretty cheap but smells bad. Like no joke, it just doesn't smell good which makes it really hard for me to buy stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog pleats n' eats!!

http://pleatsneats.tumblr.com/
KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008 01:51:00 PM »

on the topic of fabric stores in Jersey.. has anyone spyed some punky looking plaid?
I want to make a pair of punk pants and havent seen anything online as far as fabrics go
and frankly I dont want to drive 40 minutes up 17 (which is usually packed) to get to Joannes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
yellie

The sounds of war are drowned out by our heartbeat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008 01:37:01 PM »

There is a really good one in Paramus on Route 17. I'm not sure the name but I will look around for it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the only comprehensible thing about the universe is that it's completely incomprehensible-Albert

Please vote for me to win a yoga scholarship by clicking the heart icon (ends 3/31):
http://www.findyoga.com/message-board/free-training-contest-317/set-an-intention-be-courageous-be-healthy-be-happy
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008 09:42:50 AM »

i think i just saw this store when i was driving on 17 last week.  my friend pointed it out to me - it's a real little place, right?  looks very mom-n-pop?  please let me know how it is if you stop in and i'll do the same if i stop by.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008 07:59:06 AM »

I used to live in Cedar Grove and went to the Montclair store at least twice a month.  They had the best remnants there!  I haven't been back since I moved to Bergen County 10 years ago.  I also used to go to Cloth World off Route 23 but they closed long ago. I bought my first serger there.

The store in Paramus is the Fabric Center on Route 17, across from Globe Shoes.  It's a large store with a huge selection.  It's been there for decades.  The store itself is kind of shabby chic.  They haven't updated much but they will have most of what you are looking for.  The prices are not the lowest, but they are reasonable.  Hint:  park in the back not in front of the store or you'll have a hard time maneuvering the tight entrance.

There are some really good finds in downtown Newark in the same area where the old Hahne's department store used to be.  I bouth some fantastic Harris Tweed that was only a few dollars a yard.

The lack of fabric stores in North Jersey is depressing.  When all else failed, there always was the Rag Shop, but they're gone now too! For some reason, I have the impression that there aren't many sewers left in New Jersey.  Maybe the trend is shifting back.  I hope so.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
CRAFTSBYVERONICA
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008 10:28:20 PM »

There's Central Fabrics on Central Avenue, East Orange and of course Halsey Fabrics, Halsey Street - Downtown, Newark
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.craftsbyveronica.com
A friendly Crafty Website !
Newark, NJ
973-374-0448
JerseyGal
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008 07:22:38 PM »

SmileyI just found this site...
I live down the street from I've Got a Notion and do go in occasionally for odds and ends but find them full-price, although you are paying for quality.

Has anyone else been to Fabric Warehouse in Belleville?  I've been going there for MANY years.  It's a REAL warehouse (they used to cut the fabric and fold it onto bolts there years ago - they are a middleman for fabric stores).  Address: 681 Main Street, Belleville Phone: 973-759-8080.  It is a warehouse and looks like one.  Play by their rules (e.g. no strollers - leave the kids home) and you'll do well.  I love this place!!  It's not fancy but prices are great and if you go there often enough, you'll find what you need.  Also has a 99 cent store there, decorator fabrics, notions, etc.  Parking is in a lot beyond the store;  it's in an industrial area.  You have to like this kind of bargain place (I do!) They also have a store in Rahway at 970-C New Brunswick Ave. Phone: 732-882-0007.  Go in and sign up for their e-mail notification of sales.
I miss Rag Shop and we don't have too many alternatives anymore.
Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008 04:10:34 AM »

I used to work in Newark and remember a couple of pleasant lunch hours in the Belleville store.  You're right.  A lot of good stuff.  They were selling zippers for a penny a piece the last time I was there.  Only problem:  they were all green.  I happen to like green.  Cheesy  It's become family joke that everything I sew has a green zipper.  I've still got 40 or 50 of those zippers left. Alas, it's too far for me to drive there now. 

Why won't Joann's open a store on Route 4 in Paramus?   I'm sure there are still enough of us to keep it open -- as long as it's a small store.

There's a discount home decorator fabric store in Bergenfield that's pretty good but it has absolutely no notions and the people who own it don't sew; same goes for Sew and Sew Forth in Nyack. That store has a good inventory, but no help in finding things.   

There was a mom and pop store in Westwood, [similar to Paramus Fabrics] but the owner told me he has no business and is not replacing the stock. My sister bought some interfacing for me there a few weeks ago and when I went back to buy some more, he had sold the last piece and wasn't buying anymore.  A real shame.  I remember when that store was buzzing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
JerseyGal
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008 08:52:01 AM »

SmileyYou're right about the zippers at Farbric Warehouse!  Mine are all dark red/maroon...but I do use them as metal zippers are hard to find cheap.
The one thing to remember is that this place IS a warehouse and you won't get any personal service to speak of.  But prices are great and you go to stock up on anything you need.  I got great silk flowers for a wedding project last year and just the color fabric I needed for table centerpieces.
You gotta love this kind of a place...or don't go.  Leave it for those of us who like to rummage around and find the treasures!

:(I've heard that Walmart will no longer sell bolted fabric as they don't want to have an employee ready to cut the yardage.  Not that we have a Walmart nearby, but for those whose only choice for fabric is this chain, they are devastated.  It's being phased out across the country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008 07:49:16 AM »

I was in I've got a Notion yesterday to get some cording for pillow edge piping.
Marilyn, the owner, has expanded her stock and has a really nice selection in all departments.  She is also selling Janome machines in the store.
The store is also online at www.ivegotanotion.com and she does online selling.
Address:  122 Watchung Avenue (at the rear of the parking lot next to Aspen Fitness) Upper Montclair  Phone: 973-744-0079
I told her about craftster.org.  Hope she gets more business.  Check it out, and while you are in the area, stroll around the Watchung Plaza stores.  Fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jadee

on her way to being the crazy cat lady

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008 08:11:49 AM »

Thank you Jerseygal, I'm going to visit this place this weekend.  I love finding new places and Montclair isn't that far from me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LolaRivers
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008 08:50:36 PM »

I went here today!  it was amazing..maybe i am a bit new to the fabric world but i was really excited about all the fabric they had.

i plan to make my own reusable bags and found their fabric to be perfect!

They are also super friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008 05:54:24 PM »

I went here today!  it was amazing

Glad you liked my neighborhood store!!  It is soooo important to keep these local merchants in business.  We don't have a whole lot of choices in this area.  Spread the word about Marilyn's store, please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LolaRivers
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008 01:00:05 PM »

apparently when i was a baby i lived across the street from this place..small world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
absolutelyhats
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009 11:34:40 AM »

great! I'll have to check it out asap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009 07:02:21 PM »

great! I'll have to check it out asap.
Please do!  Marilyn and family have made the store even better.  The fabric section has grown and there are some neat cotton prints, all beautifully arranged by color.
There is no sign at the parking lot entrance so look for the Aspen Fitness Center straight ahead and I've Got a Notion is to the right in the back corner of the lot.  Easy to miss.  Had to help a lady find it one day as it's really hidden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
REGINAMG20
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009 08:48:24 PM »

ahh im so excited to have found this forum. I have been in search for some crafty friends. love my friends to death but they dont get as excited as me when im done with my projects. Anyway, where have all you been. There is a great fabrc shop n Belleville. Prices are awesome. Cotton prints $2-$4 a yard. The place is not very glamorous but has alot to pick from. Its called Fabric Warehouse, Right off 21. Any chicas here sew clothing? Lookin for people to exchange patterns with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Sewing fills my days, not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
JerseyGal
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009 05:48:59 PM »

It's called Fabric Warehouse, Right off 21.

Right.  Fabric Warehouse has been mentioned on this thread before and it's a great place.  I was there yesterday as their calicos were on sale for $1.79/yard, one day only.  You can sign up for their e-mail sale notices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009 04:44:27 PM »

Stopped into I've Got A Notion a couple of days ago and they are FULL of great fabric choices.  They've expanded and have a wonderful selection of seasonal and standard fabrics, great for crafting.  Also they've got a nice line of their Janome machines on display.   It's nice to have a store like this in the neighborhood.  A gal and her guy were in the store planning to buy a  Shocked $1500 (on sale!) Janome....lucky woman!!!  I stood by and drooled!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BroadwayBound313
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011 09:48:35 PM »

There's been a bunch of vintage stores popping up here in West Orange, and there's a couple great ones in Verona that I usually go to to get spare fabric. There used to be a great fabric store on that was in the Edison building on Main Street but now that they're doing all that work there they closed it down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That's where I'll always love you, Peter Pan. That's where I'll be waiting." -Tinkerbell

http://www.wists.com/BroadwayBound313
mr fun
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011 12:34:09 PM »

There is a store called FabricLand on rt 22 in Plainfield.
There used to be dozens of little fabric shops all over the place, but, most of them are gone now.
There is also a Fabric Warehouse on rt 9 in Linden, but, I think that they moved to Rahway. They also have a couple of others. One may still be in Belleville off of rt 21.
Going into NY city is a good bet. Phil. even has a small fabric district.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011 05:08:46 PM »

One may still be in Belleville off of rt 21.

Yes, Fabric Warehouse is still at 681 Main Street, Belleville as well as in Rahway, NJ and Bensalem, PA.  Great place, factory-atmosphere, nice selections.  Get on their email list and/or check out their Google links.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Lewis on Turning Setbacks Into Great Advantage
Find Lasting Happiness: Be Nobody
Jason Reynolds: What Are You Reading?
Lynn Cullen: What Are You Reading?
Chef Heather Bertinetti on Baking Desserts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...