A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I FOUND A FABRIC STORE THAT ROCKS MY SOCKS IN MONTCLAIR (NORTH NJ)  (Read 23547 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skarinja
« on: December 02, 2007 12:53:09 PM »

So, on Watchung Ave. in Montclair (near West Orange, Verona, Glen Ridge, etc.) there is what appears to be a small fabric/sewing store called I've Got A Notion! Inside however, it's rather large with a nice selection of fabric (not too many styles but lots of colors in each type), great selection of lace, lots of zippers, thread, buttons, even my necessities like FrayCheck and Polymark fabric paint. My point is.... it's my new replacement for Rag Shop. Ever since it's gone out of business I've been going to the garment district in the city every other weekend or so to pick up 12 buttons or buy some fabric. Sadly enough, the garment district is closer to me than any Joann's or anything. But I'm excited beyond belief that I now have I've Got A Notion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog pleats n' eats!!

http://pleatsneats.tumblr.com/
procrastinating
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008 07:55:59 AM »

Thank you!!  I was wondering where else to go! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mir
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008 04:11:27 PM »

how are the prices?  i ask because the only store near to where i live has pretty steep prices, so i wonder if it's worth the gas money to drive (about 30 minutes) to montclair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skarinja
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008 01:42:31 PM »

The prices aren't amazing, but aren't over the top. There's never a snag or great deal but they're pretty typical I'd say. There's also a store in East Orange called Central Fabrics or Fabric Land or something like that with Fabric in the title that is pretty cheap but smells bad. Like no joke, it just doesn't smell good which makes it really hard for me to buy stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog pleats n' eats!!

http://pleatsneats.tumblr.com/
KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008 01:51:00 PM »

on the topic of fabric stores in Jersey.. has anyone spyed some punky looking plaid?
I want to make a pair of punk pants and havent seen anything online as far as fabrics go
and frankly I dont want to drive 40 minutes up 17 (which is usually packed) to get to Joannes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
yellie

The sounds of war are drowned out by our heartbeat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008 01:37:01 PM »

There is a really good one in Paramus on Route 17. I'm not sure the name but I will look around for it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the only comprehensible thing about the universe is that it's completely incomprehensible-Albert

Please vote for me to win a yoga scholarship by clicking the heart icon (ends 3/31):
http://www.findyoga.com/message-board/free-training-contest-317/set-an-intention-be-courageous-be-healthy-be-happy
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008 09:42:50 AM »

i think i just saw this store when i was driving on 17 last week.  my friend pointed it out to me - it's a real little place, right?  looks very mom-n-pop?  please let me know how it is if you stop in and i'll do the same if i stop by.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008 07:59:06 AM »

I used to live in Cedar Grove and went to the Montclair store at least twice a month.  They had the best remnants there!  I haven't been back since I moved to Bergen County 10 years ago.  I also used to go to Cloth World off Route 23 but they closed long ago. I bought my first serger there.

The store in Paramus is the Fabric Center on Route 17, across from Globe Shoes.  It's a large store with a huge selection.  It's been there for decades.  The store itself is kind of shabby chic.  They haven't updated much but they will have most of what you are looking for.  The prices are not the lowest, but they are reasonable.  Hint:  park in the back not in front of the store or you'll have a hard time maneuvering the tight entrance.

There are some really good finds in downtown Newark in the same area where the old Hahne's department store used to be.  I bouth some fantastic Harris Tweed that was only a few dollars a yard.

The lack of fabric stores in North Jersey is depressing.  When all else failed, there always was the Rag Shop, but they're gone now too! For some reason, I have the impression that there aren't many sewers left in New Jersey.  Maybe the trend is shifting back.  I hope so.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
CRAFTSBYVERONICA
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008 10:28:20 PM »

There's Central Fabrics on Central Avenue, East Orange and of course Halsey Fabrics, Halsey Street - Downtown, Newark
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.craftsbyveronica.com
A friendly Crafty Website !
Newark, NJ
973-374-0448
JerseyGal
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008 07:22:38 PM »

SmileyI just found this site...
I live down the street from I've Got a Notion and do go in occasionally for odds and ends but find them full-price, although you are paying for quality.

Has anyone else been to Fabric Warehouse in Belleville?  I've been going there for MANY years.  It's a REAL warehouse (they used to cut the fabric and fold it onto bolts there years ago - they are a middleman for fabric stores).  Address: 681 Main Street, Belleville Phone: 973-759-8080.  It is a warehouse and looks like one.  Play by their rules (e.g. no strollers - leave the kids home) and you'll do well.  I love this place!!  It's not fancy but prices are great and if you go there often enough, you'll find what you need.  Also has a 99 cent store there, decorator fabrics, notions, etc.  Parking is in a lot beyond the store;  it's in an industrial area.  You have to like this kind of bargain place (I do!) They also have a store in Rahway at 970-C New Brunswick Ave. Phone: 732-882-0007.  Go in and sign up for their e-mail notification of sales.
I miss Rag Shop and we don't have too many alternatives anymore.
Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Real Housewife Kyle Richards’ Body Beauty Tip
The Secret to Self-Tanning Like a Pro
Makeup Expert: How to Properly Organize Your Cosmetic Bag
5 Ways to Spoil Your Man This Holiday Season
3 Life-Changing Beauty Hacks to Use Right Now
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...