A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,537
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Vegetarian  (Read 3681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smithy
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005 08:34:07 PM »

I agree with the Moosewood comments... My "Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites" has a broken binding from use.  The recipes are all good for you and have amazing flavor.  My personal faves from it... Portabello Mushroom Stuffed Zuchinis, Tamale Pie, and great fish recipes.  The library here has it.  You could check it out before you purchase.  I also found it at half.com last year for $6 brand new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005 10:49:53 PM »

The Post Punk Kitchen (http://www.theppk.com/): Has awesome recipes for both vegans and vegetarians. The sweet potato fries are awesome, and the pumpkin waffles are really hearty, healthy, and delicious.

The fat-free vegetarian archive(http://www.fatfree.com/): They have healthy recipes for EVERYTHING. This is the FIRST website I go to when looking for vegetarian recipes. There are sections for different ethnic foods, based on certain ingredients, certain types of meals. Don't let the name fool you, the recipes are REALLY FREAKING delicious. And your mom would be happy to see you eating healthier than french fries and fried rice.

VegWeb (http://vegweb.com/): Always good, very easy directions to follow, guidelines for vegetarian diets, very well set up.

Allrecipes (http://www.allrecipes.com/): Search for the vegetarian section and you'll find some very hearty and delicious recipes, often rated very accurate as to how good the recipes taste and ease of use, etc.

I bought a bunch of random vegetarian cookbooks at TJ Maxx and when on sale in Waldenbooks. The 1001 vegetarian dishes had a lot of recipes with odd ingredients or don't sound all that well put together, but it has recipes for GREAT soups. Can't go wrong with Borscht, in my opinion (the again, my family has strong roots in German cooking Smiley)

Where It All Vegan is an awesome cookbook with some very delicious recipes in it. Check that out. Vegetarian Times magazine can often be found in your local public library, as with other vegetarian magazines.

Good luck on finding recipes, it can be overwhelming Smiley I'd reccommend grinding chickpeas(garbanzos) after taking off the shells and mixing with mayo/miraclewhip/nayonaise and mustard, it's VERY delicious. Borscht is easy (just chop up or slice vegetables and boil.) And rice has less carbs in it if you rinse well before cooking. Carbs ARE good for you, however.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
susietherockgod

Je suis marxiste, tendance Harpo...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005 01:53:37 PM »

Congrats on going veggie! I've been a vegetarian all through high school (four years plus), and it's great to hear of others making the same choice.

You've got a lot of great suggestions for cookbooks and stuff here (I LOVE Moosewood cookbooks - the Italian Tofu Salad in the Moosewood Daily Special is basically my tuna fish), so I thought I'd mention that it's not at all hard to adjust recipes for carnivore-food into vegetarian ones. They make so many veggie meat substitutions - fake sausage, hamburger, chicken, hot dogs, lunch meat, etc - that you can toss in to replace the actual meat. Also, tofu (firm, non-silken tofu, after being pressed between two plates with something heavy on top of it, which drains it of water) can be used in place of chicken in quite a lot of recipes, although it doesn't cook quite the same and it's best to experiment with it. If you freeze the tofu, the texture becomes very meaty...
Also, a lot of recipes work fine if you just leave out the meat altogether.

*Just in case you don't have too much money in the cookbook-fund*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bush's Best Brown Sugar and Ferret - 50% More Tasty Baby Critter Than the Other Guy"
Babygrl0098
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005 03:36:29 AM »

thank you for all ur advice Grin ! I checked out Moosewoods cookbook from the library and love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Play_Dead
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005 04:15:04 AM »

Hi! I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years, and I can assure you it's easier than you think!  Smiley
Peta.org has a great site with lots of info for new vegetarians too and absolutely delicious recipes.
If you go to http://www.vegcooking.com you can search for recipes by tiping an ingredient, the type of meal etc. there are also tons of news about veggie products on the market and more. It totally rocks!
Something similar you can also find on BBC's website http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/ there are some vegetarian and vegan meals featured on the first page but you can find much more if you search for recipes by clicking the vegetarian option http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/

I hope this helps,
cudos for going veggie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujubecraftin
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005 04:43:53 AM »

I've been a vegetarian for over ten years now, and my going veg initially encouraged my mom and brother to eat less meat(almost none now), and my grandparents to experiment more with veg cooking.  I think it helps you become a much more interesting/creative cook because you don't rely on just a hunk of meat to bring richness to a meal.  Just think about what you normally eat as a meat eater it isn't only meat, there's so much more, so you're really not substituting/replacing that much.  Tofu is really great once you get the hang of it.  You can marinate it just like meat and bake it, stir fry it, crumble it.  a good way to prepare it for marinating or cooking is to press the water out of it by sandwiching it between papertowels and two plates and puttting something heavy on top for about 30 min. this helps the tofu absorb the flavors better.  Veggie cooking can definately be as hearty as meat cookiing, and once you've experimented for a while you'll get the hang of how to replace ingredients in a meat inclusive recipe.  Some really great websites I love to use are:
www.recipezaar.com    it's not specifically veggie, but there are reviews of the recipes, and you can type in an ingrediant and it will bring up all the recipes.
Also  http://ashycook.topcities.com/  has many fabulous, simple, hearty recipes, many inspired by his travels.  Don't give up, Good luck!
P.s. I almost forgot, Vegetarian Times is a great magazine with a ton of recipes, much less expensive to pick up an issue than investing in a cookbook
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005 03:41:41 AM by jujubecraftin' » THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005 06:46:03 PM »

Does anyone have a recipe for a wrap that has cucumber, feta, red pepper and red onions in it?  I had it at a wine tasting and hence can't figure out if there was any mayo or sauce on it.  The veggie were the strongest feature and it was really good.  Anyone know of a wrap recipe with all these ingredients?  I did do a web search and a search on several of the recipe sites to no luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujubecraftin
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005 03:07:41 AM »

Hmmm, don't know of a specific recipe, but since it sounds sortof greek-like, i would try a garlicky tzaziki sauce, not mayo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005 09:12:34 AM »

I'll give the garlicky tzaziki sauce a try this weekend for that wrap and if it's tasty, I'll post the recipe here for all you other lovers of the veggies.  Thanks for the sauce idea!  I was at a lose for what to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Babygrl0098
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005 11:28:03 AM »

wat i like to do is eat many small meals (really small) throughout the day, like snacks. can u please post some recipes regarding this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy a Bridge Camera
Photography Devices News
Photomart’s Summer Workshop
Latest Digital Cameras
Extreme Sports Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...