A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help! vegetarian allergic to tofu.  (Read 3588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pumperthedinosaur
falling monkey

cogitating, masticating, procrastinating.....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005 01:03:04 AM »

there's a long and short version to make seitan, both of which use soy sauce, so just insert your sauce alternative, since it's just for flavoring you could just add more garlic or any other seasoning.  Or, since so many vegetarian recipes call for soy sauce and tamari, you could try this: http://www.japan-101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-27.html

Long:
12 cups (4lbs) whole wheat flour
3 1/2 quarts water
     Put flour in large bowl and add enough of the water to make a soft dough (about 5 cups or so).  Knead this for 5 minutes, then add enough water to cover your dough and let it rest 15 min.

While it rests, boil together:
1 onion cut up
1 crushed garlic clove
small piece of kombu
1/2 cup of soy sauce*
2 Quarts water

After your 15 min. are up, put the bowl in the sink and knead until the water turns starchy - drain off that water and cover the dough with fresh water and knead again.  You keep doing this until the water is almost clear.  Now you have a raw seitan "roast".  You would stop here if your recipe calls for raw, otherwise make 3 equal pieces and add to the pot to simmer for 1 hour do not boil! it has to cook long and slow to get the meaty texture.

Short:
In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water, 1/4 cup soy sauce*, and a piece of kombu to a boil, meanwhile:

In a large bowl, mix:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ginger powder

In a large measuring cup, mix:
1 1/4 cups water or veggie stock
3 TB soy sauce*
1-3 tsp sesame oil

Add the liquid to the dry ingredients, knead 10-15 times and let rest 5 min.  Knead again and let rest 15 min.  Cut into 6-8 pieces and stretch into cutlets or desired shape and simmer in broth for 1 hour do not boil!

Only the long version is really wheat gluten, the short version is more like a meaty pasta since it still has all of the starch.
Hope this helps!

I'd also like to second the bean burgers! 

Edited to add:  Flax is great, but make sure it's milled (ground) because people have trouble digesting the hull and getting the goodness out of the seed.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005 01:38:52 AM by absintheminded » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhell
i'd rather be knitting....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005 10:41:15 PM »

update!
my friend has now been meat free for two weeks (impressive since all i've ever known him to eat is chicken, chicken, and more chicken.
this weekend i whipped up a nutty-mushroom burgers (portabella mushrooms, walnuts, roasted garlic, onion, sunflower seeds, flour, basil and a few other spices) using a local place's vegetarian burger as inspiration.
we also tried seitan super good but waaay to expensive.
quorn also looks way too expensive to afford on a comic book store salary.

this weekend we're going to make seitan the long and short way so thanks so much for the recipe absintheminded.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

....like you're grandma's sewing machine on acid...
http://www.livejournal.com/users/i_hate_shoes
pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005 12:39:39 AM »

Good for your friend -- m ost people would use the allergy as an excuse to never go veg.
Just so he knows --- TVP is not  made from soy products, it is from vegetable proteins (at least the stuff I have seen)
He should also make sure that his allergy isn't to something like magnesium which is used to process tofu.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhell
i'd rather be knitting....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005 09:06:49 PM »

Good for your friend -- m ost people would use the allergy as an excuse to never go veg.
Just so he knows --- TVP is not  made from soy products, it is from vegetable proteins (at least the stuff I have seen)
He should also make sure that his allergy isn't to something like magnesium which is used to process tofu.

thanks!  my friend has had allergic reactions to different soy products so it's probably not magnesium.
i've never seen any without soy protein as one of the third or so ingredients do you have any suggestions for brands?

also thanks to everyone for the info on the seitan.  it's super easy to make and the left over broth makes a great stew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

....like you're grandma's sewing machine on acid...
http://www.livejournal.com/users/i_hate_shoes
pumperthedinosaur
falling monkey

cogitating, masticating, procrastinating.....

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005 12:25:13 AM »

Yay for you guys!

I'm glad the seitan worked out for you, too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005 03:29:41 AM »

its hard enough to go veg/vegan..but to be allergic to tofu and such...eek...id look on the internet for recipes and ideas for food to buy...and as far as satan i mean seitan being expensive, thats somewhat part of being vegan for me...i mean some of it is actually either the same price or a little less...also try the ethnic markets around you...we get alot of stuff at the asian one...good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Looks for Women
Holiday Party Looks Under $200
The Best Red Carpet Dresses of 2011
Outfits for a Night Out
Office Outfit Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...