A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Vegetarian  (Read 3619 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Babygrl0098
« on: December 30, 2004 11:36:43 AM »

Will you please give me easy recipes for vegetarians (i eat fish and dairy products)? That don't have too many carbohydrates or recipes that have the good carbs (like whole wheat). Because my mom is fussin at me saying i'm eating too much carbs (i'm basically eating pasta alfredo and vegetable fried rice). Help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnymama
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004 11:56:19 AM »

Hi! I've been vegetarian for 10 years, and have had 2 healthy kids, so you can tell your mom you'll be ok. You can even tell her vegetarians live longer, get less cancer, heart disease...yada yada. OK, so you need other things to eat. Whole wheat pasta and marinara, rather any pasta and sauce. Alfredo and marinara are almost always meatless. Sandwiches- I love chickpeas with a little mayo and celery and curry powder mixed up (tuna sandwich style).Other veggie foods- quesadillas, burritoes, pizza minus meats. Just about any food you like you can make meatless. Balance is important. When you think of the food groups, replace the "meat group" idea with "Beans, whole grains, eggs, peanut butter, nuts". There are lots of meat replacement type foods. Major grocery stores will likely carry the Morning Star Farms brand products. They have Chick Nuggets, Corn Dogs, Veggie Burger Patties, sometimes you'll find "meatballs" or they even make a ground beef replacer. This brand is all meatless, and I like the food, and so do my veggie kids. It is really worth checking out. Also read about being vegetarian. Gary Null has some really good info and recipe books. Another favorite of mine are Cynthia Lair's Feeding the Whole Family. Just checkout a local library or bookstore under "vegetarian". Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
holly holy

never hide your jersey pride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004 01:10:33 PM »

get yourself some of the moosewood cookbooks.  the recipes are diverse, easy to prepare, and very tasty!

i'm going on three and a half years vegetarian myself, and i will give you one piece of advice : lay off the cheese.  unfortunately, when i went no meat, i went all dairy.  not healthy.

this time of year soup is great, and there are a million vegetarian soup recipes out there.  check out vegweb.com for some more ideas.  feel free to email me if you want recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaipod
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004 02:00:54 PM »

get yourself some of the moosewood cookbooks.  the recipes are diverse, easy to prepare, and very tasty!

i'm going on three and a half years vegetarian myself, and i will give you one piece of advice : lay off the cheese.  unfortunately, when i went no meat, i went all dairy.  not healthy.

this time of year soup is great, and there are a million vegetarian soup recipes out there.  check out vegweb.com for some more ideas.  feel free to email me if you want recipes!

I completely agree with getting some Moosewood cookbooks. I am vegetarian and I abslolutely LOVE the recipes in there!  My parents are always ragging on me for not eating meat.....but they really like the recipes.  Wink (they refer to themselves as "flexitarians")

-kaia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"everything you can imagine is real" -pablo picasso.
Kitty Urbane
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004 12:12:00 PM »

I put this in another post but add here too, because it is just too good not to share.

Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. After I got this cookbook and used it, I sold the rest back to the book store.

It has a lot of recipes that appeal to meat eaters, if you like to entertain and that's nice, but the best part about it is that many of the recipes need only a few ingredients, often stuff you have already: olive oil, eggs, garlic, etc.

For example, in my neck of the woods we get an organic box of produce delivered to us weekly. We never know what we're going to get, but no matter what it is, I know Ms. Madison has a recipe, and I can make it without going to the store.

The other great thing is that she gives a lot of great suggestions on how to modify the recipes to suit your needs. So like say you've got a bunch of different vegetables, there may not be a specific recipe using all of them, but she shows you how to roast them, braise them, steam them and make any kind of delicious sauce to put over them. And it's all delicious!

There's also desserts and breads and stuff you may never have heard of like roulades and galettes, which sound fancy, but are easy to make and a hit with everyone. I guess that's why it's called: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005 07:28:29 PM »

I also eat dairy and fish, mostly shellfish.  Beef makes me sick after so many years without.  If you want to try something Indian down the line, I love The Indian Vegetarian, Flavors for the American Kitchen by Neelam Batra.   Probably one of my favorite cookbooks.  The spices add a lot to the flavor and I don't need to worry about it being a balanced diet so much.  One of my neighbors is Indian and her family has eaten meals like this their whole life.  You can leave some of the spices out also for a plainer fair.

My favorite non-Indian meal is a grilled cheese sandwich (ciabatta or multigrain bread with a slice of american cheese, shreaded "Mexican" cheese from a bag and pine nuts.)  Combine that with some steamed asparagus with a small amount of salt and ground pepper and I'm in heaven.  It's also good with salmon with a bit of lemon and basil on top.  In the summer, try grilling portabella mushrooms. Top with a slice mozzarella cheese and make them into a mushroom burger with a whole wheat bun.  Honestly, I have been eating a majority of cheese and bread for 15 years and am in great health.  I'm the thinest of my friends, I eat like a horse and no health problem despite my high carb diet.  My husband calls it the High Carb Diet.  Sadly, I also tend not to excercise either.  Lazy me. 

Tip on the veggie steaming: If some people in your family like their veggies soft and some like them steamed, boil some veggies in the pot of water on the stove and place the steamer on top with more.  That way it doesn't add more dishes except the steamer and you don't need to hear the crap of "these veggies aren't done."  (I try to use fresh veggies whenever possible.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005 07:41:29 PM »

i agree about the grilled portabella mushroom "burger"....yummy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Blond_gurl
Must sew to look like Eastern European countess.....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005 03:09:09 PM »

GO to allrecipes.com and you can find a ton of vegetarian recipes with nutritional value charts.  and you also get honest comments from people who made the meals, kind of like this site.  the recipes come in easy to advance directions, kind of like this site.
good luck Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When the lunch bell rings, why don't you eat me?
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005 03:46:27 PM »

vegweb.com has a ton of veg recipes that are pretty good. 

It's all about learning to balance your diet- which you should be doing even if you are not veg Smiley  most people lose weight after a couple months of no meat (my guess is cause you cant eat a *lot* of the junk food you did before). 

When i switched to veg (lacto ovo) from partial i lost ten pounds. (no other lifestyle changes Smiley) i also ended up w/ a higher protien and iron count then id had before (id been having bloodtests before and after for something unrelated).  my mom did not appreciate me becoming veg, but she cant do anything about it now since she knows it makes me healthier.

not necessareily recipe related, but cool foods to try that have some protien or are pretty healthy:
-hummus
-veg chilli
-dried fruits- esp the ones that come in little packages strips
- nuts or mixes
- baked brie (brie is actually pretty good for you despite it tasting so creamy)
- tofu tacos/refried bean tacos (make sure the beans werent cooked in beef though)
- i love wholewheat/multirgain breads that have been toasted w/ a bit of butter on it with  a scramled egg- if my mom is up early enough this is how she tries to get me to eat more protien Smiley
- soybeans.  you can get them frozen...they are great in stirfry etc

also if you are going to eat a lot of pasta or rice start trying diff types- ie whole wheat pasta, brown rice, black rice, wild rice, etc. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Gobbles
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005 07:36:25 PM »

I've been veg for about two years, and I also had to deal with my mother looking over my shoulder to see what I was eating...though it seems your mum has good reason to! ha ha.
Everyone's suggestions are good. There are tons of great cookbooks out there, Moosewood's of course being a classic. There are also a lot of them that are specifically aimed at teenagers (which I can assume you are?), with ideas and recipes for bag lunches, easy dinner recipes, etc. And there are obviously zillions of recipes online.
Despite my many reservations about Peta's methods, their website does have a wide variety of recipes, all in one place. You might want to check that out.
Now, I don't know why you decided to become a vegetarian, but yay! for you, as it really is very ecologically friendly. Which brings me to my next suggestion:
Please, please, please read "Diet for a Small Planet"!!! This is an old-school book about the ethical benefits of eating from the bottom of the food chain instead of the top, as well as practical tips, and some good recipes. I promise that reading this book will change the way you look at food.
One last tip: don't be afraid of ethnic foods! There are so many cultures out there which don't emphasise meat in thier diets, that there is a lot of room for you to explore and have fun with what you eat.
Being a vegetarian in a family of meateaters means a little extra care and planning in your meals, and a willingness to experiment. Trust me, though, it's worth it.
Good luck and happy eating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let's get ready to LOOK SO GOOD!
Smithy
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005 08:34:07 PM »

I agree with the Moosewood comments... My "Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites" has a broken binding from use.  The recipes are all good for you and have amazing flavor.  My personal faves from it... Portabello Mushroom Stuffed Zuchinis, Tamale Pie, and great fish recipes.  The library here has it.  You could check it out before you purchase.  I also found it at half.com last year for $6 brand new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005 10:49:53 PM »

The Post Punk Kitchen (http://www.theppk.com/): Has awesome recipes for both vegans and vegetarians. The sweet potato fries are awesome, and the pumpkin waffles are really hearty, healthy, and delicious.

The fat-free vegetarian archive(http://www.fatfree.com/): They have healthy recipes for EVERYTHING. This is the FIRST website I go to when looking for vegetarian recipes. There are sections for different ethnic foods, based on certain ingredients, certain types of meals. Don't let the name fool you, the recipes are REALLY FREAKING delicious. And your mom would be happy to see you eating healthier than french fries and fried rice.

VegWeb (http://vegweb.com/): Always good, very easy directions to follow, guidelines for vegetarian diets, very well set up.

Allrecipes (http://www.allrecipes.com/): Search for the vegetarian section and you'll find some very hearty and delicious recipes, often rated very accurate as to how good the recipes taste and ease of use, etc.

I bought a bunch of random vegetarian cookbooks at TJ Maxx and when on sale in Waldenbooks. The 1001 vegetarian dishes had a lot of recipes with odd ingredients or don't sound all that well put together, but it has recipes for GREAT soups. Can't go wrong with Borscht, in my opinion (the again, my family has strong roots in German cooking Smiley)

Where It All Vegan is an awesome cookbook with some very delicious recipes in it. Check that out. Vegetarian Times magazine can often be found in your local public library, as with other vegetarian magazines.

Good luck on finding recipes, it can be overwhelming Smiley I'd reccommend grinding chickpeas(garbanzos) after taking off the shells and mixing with mayo/miraclewhip/nayonaise and mustard, it's VERY delicious. Borscht is easy (just chop up or slice vegetables and boil.) And rice has less carbs in it if you rinse well before cooking. Carbs ARE good for you, however.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
susietherockgod

Je suis marxiste, tendance Harpo...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005 01:53:37 PM »

Congrats on going veggie! I've been a vegetarian all through high school (four years plus), and it's great to hear of others making the same choice.

You've got a lot of great suggestions for cookbooks and stuff here (I LOVE Moosewood cookbooks - the Italian Tofu Salad in the Moosewood Daily Special is basically my tuna fish), so I thought I'd mention that it's not at all hard to adjust recipes for carnivore-food into vegetarian ones. They make so many veggie meat substitutions - fake sausage, hamburger, chicken, hot dogs, lunch meat, etc - that you can toss in to replace the actual meat. Also, tofu (firm, non-silken tofu, after being pressed between two plates with something heavy on top of it, which drains it of water) can be used in place of chicken in quite a lot of recipes, although it doesn't cook quite the same and it's best to experiment with it. If you freeze the tofu, the texture becomes very meaty...
Also, a lot of recipes work fine if you just leave out the meat altogether.

*Just in case you don't have too much money in the cookbook-fund*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bush's Best Brown Sugar and Ferret - 50% More Tasty Baby Critter Than the Other Guy"
Babygrl0098
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005 03:36:29 AM »

thank you for all ur advice Grin ! I checked out Moosewoods cookbook from the library and love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Play_Dead
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005 04:15:04 AM »

Hi! I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years, and I can assure you it's easier than you think!  Smiley
Peta.org has a great site with lots of info for new vegetarians too and absolutely delicious recipes.
If you go to http://www.vegcooking.com you can search for recipes by tiping an ingredient, the type of meal etc. there are also tons of news about veggie products on the market and more. It totally rocks!
Something similar you can also find on BBC's website http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/ there are some vegetarian and vegan meals featured on the first page but you can find much more if you search for recipes by clicking the vegetarian option http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/

I hope this helps,
cudos for going veggie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujubecraftin
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005 04:43:53 AM »

I've been a vegetarian for over ten years now, and my going veg initially encouraged my mom and brother to eat less meat(almost none now), and my grandparents to experiment more with veg cooking.  I think it helps you become a much more interesting/creative cook because you don't rely on just a hunk of meat to bring richness to a meal.  Just think about what you normally eat as a meat eater it isn't only meat, there's so much more, so you're really not substituting/replacing that much.  Tofu is really great once you get the hang of it.  You can marinate it just like meat and bake it, stir fry it, crumble it.  a good way to prepare it for marinating or cooking is to press the water out of it by sandwiching it between papertowels and two plates and puttting something heavy on top for about 30 min. this helps the tofu absorb the flavors better.  Veggie cooking can definately be as hearty as meat cookiing, and once you've experimented for a while you'll get the hang of how to replace ingredients in a meat inclusive recipe.  Some really great websites I love to use are:
www.recipezaar.com    it's not specifically veggie, but there are reviews of the recipes, and you can type in an ingrediant and it will bring up all the recipes.
Also  http://ashycook.topcities.com/  has many fabulous, simple, hearty recipes, many inspired by his travels.  Don't give up, Good luck!
P.s. I almost forgot, Vegetarian Times is a great magazine with a ton of recipes, much less expensive to pick up an issue than investing in a cookbook
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005 03:41:41 AM by jujubecraftin' » THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005 06:46:03 PM »

Does anyone have a recipe for a wrap that has cucumber, feta, red pepper and red onions in it?  I had it at a wine tasting and hence can't figure out if there was any mayo or sauce on it.  The veggie were the strongest feature and it was really good.  Anyone know of a wrap recipe with all these ingredients?  I did do a web search and a search on several of the recipe sites to no luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujubecraftin
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005 03:07:41 AM »

Hmmm, don't know of a specific recipe, but since it sounds sortof greek-like, i would try a garlicky tzaziki sauce, not mayo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005 09:12:34 AM »

I'll give the garlicky tzaziki sauce a try this weekend for that wrap and if it's tasty, I'll post the recipe here for all you other lovers of the veggies.  Thanks for the sauce idea!  I was at a lose for what to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Babygrl0098
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005 11:28:03 AM »

wat i like to do is eat many small meals (really small) throughout the day, like snacks. can u please post some recipes regarding this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005 11:36:23 AM »

If you like small meals and snacks, the Enchanted Broccoli Forest (cookbook) has a whole section devoted to just such recipes.  I would also look at foodtv.com for appetizer recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005 05:17:43 PM »

wat i like to do is eat many small meals (really small) throughout the day, like snacks. can u please post some recipes regarding this.

I'm a big fan of the Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, by Carole Raymond.  It has a lot of simple recipes with only a few ingredients, and plenty of small meal/snack-type foods.  Even if you're no longer a student, it's still a great resource for when you don't have a lot of time and/or money.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761511709/qid=1106961307/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-0724404-2159810?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005 06:03:39 AM »

Well, that wrap sauce was not garlicky tzaziki sauce since I couldn't find a non-yogurt recipe for that.  So I called and begged for the recipe.  Here it is:

Veggie Wraps:
1/2 cup each of feta, cucumber and onion
1/3 cup each of red pepper and tomato
1 Tbsp of sugar
Kraft Three Cheese Italian Dressing (or creamy dressing of your choice)
10 inch wraps

1.  Soak cubed cucumber in enough water to cover the cucmber and add the sugar.  Stir and allow to soak for at least 10 minutes.  Drain.

2.  Cube all remaining veggies and crumble the feta.  In a large bowl combine all the veggies and mix well.  Add the feta and mix again.

3.  Spread out the soft wraps and coat with about 1 Tbsp of the dressing. Top with the mixture and roll. 

4.  For party snacks: place toothpicks in the wrap to hold closed and cut into rings about 1 1/2 inches wide.  Serve chilled.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2005 05:33:08 AM »

Now, I don't know why you decided to become a vegetarian, but yay! for you, as it really is very ecologically friendly. Which brings me to my next suggestion:
Please, please, please read "Diet for a Small Planet"!!! This is an old-school book about the ethical benefits of eating from the bottom of the food chain instead of the top, as well as practical tips, and some good recipes. I promise that reading this book will change the way you look at food.

Wow, I forgot all about this book!  I read it when I became a vegetarian 12 1/2 years ago.   Actually, this was the first book I purchased/read when I became veggie. Some things have changed since the book was first released, but still a very good book.  (Such a good book, in fact that it got stolen).

Best wishes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing Dough for Parathas
Rolling Out the Parathas
Adding the Chicken to the Masala
Checking and Tasting the Chicken Curry
How to Make Chicken Curry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...