A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: patchwork skirt with matching purse  (Read 965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kathigarn
« on: June 12, 2008 05:29:42 AM »

I have not made an item of clothing for quite a while.  I love Anna Maria Horner's Chocolate Lollipop line and have had the idea for a little patchwork skirt in the back of my mind for quite a while.  I got some 4"x4" squares of the material and made the skirt.  I then made a purse to match!

The skirt:

I had a patchwork skirt made like this from JCrew about 20 years ago.  I still have it, but I could not find it when I was making my skirt!  I had planned to use it as my pattern, but I just had to wing it.  I thought I bought some elastic for the waist, but after much searching could never find it.  I finally found the receipt from my trip to the store when I thought I had bought it and elastic was not listed!!  I had all three boys (a 6 1/2 year old and 4 1/2 year old twins) with me that day and they had picked fabric for tote bags.  I think the girl checking us out must have gotten overwhelmed by us and forgot to ring up my elastic!  I made a bunch of maternity pants 7 years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest son and put lightweight elastic in those.  I took it out of one pair and used it in the skirt, but I need a stronger elastic.  The elastic I am using now just isn't quite enough to hold it up right!

The purse to match:

Thanks for looking!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 05:45:26 AM »

super cute skirt! the chocolate lollipop line is just perfect for it. nice work! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hatty109
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008 07:27:04 AM »

That's super cute. I really want to make a patchwork skirt, but I have never ever done it before and am a little scared of it. I think seeing your cute little skirt has given me the push I need! Smiley
xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like it when I wake up in the mornings and my first thought is "what can I make today?"
jen53207
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008 07:43:50 AM »

That skirt is gorgeous!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iota1617

Wildness is a necessity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008 07:47:19 AM »

oooooooo  both of those make me very happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ain't afraid of God, devil, death, nor destruction. Them's my four aces.

Wild Notions - http://www.wild-notions.com
Original Fabric Designs: www.spoonflower.com/profiles/katieschrader
www.modernyardage.c om/shop/category/shop-by-designer/katie-schrader/
kathigarn
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008 09:20:27 AM »

That's super cute. I really want to make a patchwork skirt, but I have never ever done it before and am a little scared of it. I think seeing your cute little skirt has given me the push I need! Smiley
xxx

I NEVER would have done it if I had to cut my own squares!!  Having the precut squares made it manageable.  I made long strips, ironed the seams, and then put them together to make circles.  I then sewed the circles together to make the skirt.  I used a really lightweight muslin as a lining.  I have put some darts at the waist and will put two more when I go in to change the elastic.  I did all of the strips the same and then put them on at the same intervals - I counted over the same number of blocks for each row when I put the strips together.  It took me longer than necessary to make it because I had to take out some seams at the waist to put in the darts, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet Cast off and Hide Loose Ends
Country Decorating Fruit Crate
Learn about Quilting, Quakes and Food Quantities
How to Arrange Ikebana Flowers
How to Make Stencils from Freezer Paper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...