A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oat Cakes: a plea for recipes *Edit: Success! Now with a Recipe!*  (Read 891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littleredrobot
« on: December 01, 2007 08:33:20 AM »

Years ago when I lived in London, I used to get these fantastic oat cakes that had literally three ingredients: oats (or oat flour), water, and olive oil. (Okay, sometimes they had salt too. Four ingredients, then.)

I hadn't thought about them for a while, but lately I've been craving them and can't seem to find a recipe that recreates the awesomeness of the original. (Isn't that always the case? That nostalgic, lost recipe-of-yore phenomenon? Alas...)

At any rate, I would really, really appreciate any help on this. Anyone have recipes? Suggestions? Comfort for me and the crappy cardboardy affairs my kitchen has been so hopefully, yet so futilely turning out?

Thanks to everyone!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008 01:30:54 PM by littleredrobot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealleatpasta
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007 10:19:28 AM »

Well I've never eaten oat cakes, but this reminds me of something I made up when I was camping with some friends for fall break.

My boyfriend and I had bought pancake mix and syrup for breakfast during the camping trip, but we had not thought about one of our friends who is vegan and could not eat the pancakes because they had dairy products in them. We also had some instant oatmeal, a kettle, some pam, and a little frying pan that we had been cooking the pancakes in.

So what I did so my vegan friend could enjoy pancakes too was mix a little water with the instant oatmeal and pour it onto the greased frying pan and fry it up like a pancake. He poured syrup on top and it was delicious! Soon everyone was asking for oatmeal pancakes.

So this may or may not be similar to oat cakes as you describe them. But they sure are delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007 11:03:04 AM »

Here's one on a Scottish page:
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usrecipes/oatcakes/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007 11:39:14 AM »

Years ago when I lived in London, I used to get these fantastic oat cakes that had literally three ingredients: oats (or oat flour), water, and olive oil. (Okay, sometimes they had salt too. Four ingredients, then.)

Interesting.  Were they thin and savory?  Sort of like crackers made out of oats?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleredrobot
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007 01:17:08 PM »

Interesting.  Were they thin and savory?  Sort of like crackers made out of oats?

BoxOfRocks, that's exactly what they are. A crisp, usually rather hard, savory cracker.

And, Retromiad, believe it or not, I've tried that recipe, and a couple of others I've found online. And maybe I'm just being picky (or trying to recreate a food that has achieved perfection solely because I've glorified its memory), but none of them have been quite right. They're... I dunno. Some of them are too cardboard-y and others too bread-y. The search is still on...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007 01:32:29 PM by littleredrobot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleredrobot
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 01:31:39 PM »

Thanks for everyone's comments. After trying a bunch of recipes over the holidays (with a WIDE variety of results) and winging it on my own, I think I have finally come up with a recipe that recreates the original. So, without further adieu, I present to you Katie's Rosemary Oatcakes:

ROSEMARY OATCAKES

2 cups oatmeal (not rolled oats, preferably; a pinhead or irish steel-cut is best)
2 tsp - 1 Tbsp dried rosemary leaves (optional)
   (I used dried leaves because it was all I had on hand and then ground it into powder; if   
   youre using fresh rosemary or dried ground rosemary, adjust the amounts to taste)
- 1 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp olive oil (though Id guess any other oil or shortening would be fine)
1 pinch salt

In a food processor, grind the oats and rosemary. Ideally, you want the oats to be a variety of textures, ranging from a fine, almost flour-like consistency to the course, whole oat. To do this, grind about a third of the oats (grind the rosemary with this batch) until fairly fine, then add a second third and grind for a few more seconds. Mix all three consistencies in a large bowl.

Meanwhile boil the water. Mix the olive oil, salt, and water, stirring to dissolve the salt and distribute the oil. Stir into the oat mixture.

Mix the dough well and knead for a few minutes, until it is a uniform consistency and holds together well. On a lightly floured cutting board, roll the dough into a thick log. Using a serrated blade, cut the log into pieces. (Think slice-and-bake cookies.) Cut these as thin as you can without tearing them, approximately inch. Place on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or lightly sprayed with oil.

Bake for approximately 40 minutes at 300 degrees, turning once after 20 minutes. After 40 minutes of baking, check the center of each oatcake; they should be nearly dry. (If not, flip the oatcakes, bake for another 5 minutes, and check again, repeating as necessary.)

Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container or bag.

Note: These store very well for up to two weeks and--remarkably enough--improve after the first few days. Also, though quite good just on their own, they're superb with cheese, hummus, or any thick-ish spread.

Enjoy!

Or, if you're me or like me, RELISH THE SWEET (okay, savory) TASTE OF VICTORY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008 06:05:41 PM »

Bookmarked! These sound so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faerieharlot
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008 11:22:18 AM »

That sounds really good! I've been devouring oats like they're going out of style, so this is perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are times when you have to choose between being human and having good taste."   -Bertolt Brecht
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Blow-Dry Steps for Voluminous Hair
3 Must-Have Beach Look Sprays for Sexy Hair in Seconds
Summer-Savvy Braids Trend
Olympics-Bound Swimmers Share Their Wildest Hair Tips
How to Get an Aviator Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...