A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: needle felting gone wrong.  (Read 1669 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepishxlion
« on: November 30, 2007 09:45:59 PM »

I can needle felt wool on to something wet felting. I can needle felt yarn onto wet felting things...

but for the life of me I can create something solely from needle felting.

How long do I poke at the stuff with needles?

My first attempt at a flower:

Then i tried making another flower but it was turning out blah so I am trying to make it a heart.

I don't know what size felting needles I am using. They don't say and I didn't know  there were different size until I started reading around this forum.

Please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my shop: sheepishxlion.etsy.com
Tallberggoesint
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007 01:24:00 AM »

I have the exact same problem! I was thinking it was because the wool - some cheap stuff that I got some time ago. So if somebody has the answer I would love to know too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://tallberggoesint.blogspot.com/
http://www.tallberggoesint.etsy.com
Here is one stitch, here is another, and here is a third
- now go start a shop
sheepishxlion
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007 12:12:25 PM »

I have the exact same problem! I was thinking it was because the wool - some cheap stuff that I got some time ago. So if somebody has the answer I would love to know too!

Yeah I've wonder if it was the wool too. I saw somewhere I am not sure if it was here on craftster or a blog where someone needle felt a flower during an hour TV show and they took pictures at each commercial break. So they were like.. it takes about "45 min" to make. And yeah i've poked at that stupid flower I've pictured wayyyyyyyyy longer than 45 min. I've even worked some more since posting the picture and it looks the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cleverlilminx
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007 04:12:25 PM »

It also depends on the needle you are using.  There are different gauges.  Do you know which gauge needle you are using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007 05:09:59 AM »

Well, don't give up !  Wink This flower is already quite nice ! But yes, it takes a long time to needle felt something... You have to begin with the bigger needle and then use the thinner one when you feel the felt has stiffen and it becomes difficult to poke in it. Don't worry if you begin with a thin needle, the result will be the same, it will take you more tme, that's all. I think needle felting needs a sense of 3D and modeling more than anything else ! And patience !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepishxlion
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007 06:25:35 PM »

It also depends on the needle you are using.  There are different gauges.  Do you know which gauge needle you are using?

No i don't know. It was a felting needle and foam block kit type of thing. The needles just have a purple handles. 2 needles. Doesn't list gauge. Hmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftybernie
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007 02:50:50 PM »

It can take a long time to get any real results when needle felting from scratch.  I started to keep count for fun one day but got bored after 50 stabs! Smiley

But you can speed things up by changing your needle type and by using more than one.  Plus, rolling the wool into a tighter ball or tube/sausage shape can speed things up. 

Factors to consider:

1) type of wool - the staple length of the fleece will determine whether the fibres tangle quickly or not.  I think Merino wool felts faster than say

2) type of needle - there are different gauges of needles which work better with different fibre. Eg coarser fibres need a different gauge of needle to finer fibres.

3) shape of needle - i didn't realise but the felting needles come in different shapes.  So far I've used ones with 3 points (looks like a triangle when you look closely at the tip and shaft) and 5 points (looks like a star). 

The star shaped needle works quicker as there are more barbs on it than the 3 points. PLUS the barbs on the 5 point needle are nearer to the tip of the needle for some reason. 

4) the angle at which you stab the wool can affect the outcome.  I know you're supposed to stab straight on, but I also stab from different angles, making sure the needle is kept straight and not bending. By changing the angle  you can concentrate on different areas.

To speed things up you could consider starting by wet felting the basic shape and needle felting onto it once dried.  Although this feels like cheating, it doesn't affect the integrity of the piece.

I use leftover felt from my wet felting projects, stacking them together and wrapping the roving around them when I'm working on anything bigger than 2". 

Now that you've caught the bug, I would suggest getting a set of needles - some shops sell three sizes in a pack so you can get a few for very little cost.

Hope this helps. 

Either way, your flower is lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftladyjane
East Coast Crafts Rock!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008 02:03:19 PM »

Interesting info... I just tend to experiment, I haven't actually timed how long it takes to actually needle felt something from beginning to end...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw Cartoon Monsters
How to Draw a Drum Set
How Drawings Express Feelings
How Colors Represent Emotion in Paintings
How to Express yourself with Colors When Painting
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...